Lt. Robin Hopper: Showing Off

Robin Hopper

Jan 27, 2023, 3:00:01 PM1/27/23
to Amity Outpost

((OOC Note – For these SRC tour scenes, please consider it an opportunity to bring up and talk about Treknology and concepts from modern Trek that fascinate and excite you. Be creative – and don’t be afraid to indicate time/location jumps, e.g. “((Some Time Later, Biology Lab))” so that we can cover a breadth of topics!))

((Amity Outpost – Science & Research Center, Level 9, Train Platform))

As the mag-lev train coasted into the final station on its run, Robin noted how eerily empty the car was. Typically, on a day like today, at least a dozen or so passengers would emerge – shift changes for the Starfleet Labs, civilian scientists heading to their work, or folks with the day off who had booked time in the Holodecks. Today was quite different.

Robin tucked her hands behind her back, trying her best to look at ease – but in a formal kind of way. If such a thing were possible. She took a deep, centering breath, and tried her hardest to channel her ‘inner Janeway’.  oO This is it. Oo

The doors slid open and she found herself face-to-face with a Hirogen Hunter – Beta Tazik, she had to assume. He had been one of the few Hirogen who had actually expressed some interest in seeing what the Federation’s scientists had to show. A handful of others stood in the back of the train, but Tazik was clearly the ‘Alpha’ among the ‘Betas’ – at least in this group. Behind him were Lt. JG Iko and Keehani Ukinix. Robin had to imagine that was an interesting train ride down from the Mezzanine.

She looked up at Tazik, doing her best to sound both assertive and welcoming.

Hopper: Beta Tazik, welcome to Amity’s Science and Research Center. I see you’ve brought Lieutenant Iko with you.  ::Nod to Bec::  I’m Lieutenant Robin Hopper, Amity’s Chief Science Officer.

Keehani, she knew, wouldn’t be staying – but she was very grateful to have the Security Officer’s continued presence.

Tazik: Greetings.

The large armoured Hirogen stepped forward, and Robin looked over her shoulders, indicating the others should similarly introduce themselves.

S’Raga: Ensign S'Raga, Helm, Communications, and Operations officer.

Veers: Ensign Cara Veers, friendly neighborhood Science Officer.

Nadeshiko: Nadeshiko, Science Analyst.

Iko: ::tucking her hands behind her back:: And seeing as we did not do such beforehand, Lieutenant Iko, security officer.

The Beta looked Iko over before responding – seemingly only to her.

Tazik: I assure you your presence will not be required.

Robin’s eyebrows raised in the slightest of expressions, before she resumed her professional demeanor. While she was fairly confident the Hirogen wouldn’t attempt some sort of surprise attack from within the station, she was certainly wary of any potentially-hostile visitor’s “assurances”. Tazik, and all the Hirogen, struck her like massive coils of violent energy – primed to spring at even a slight provocation. Ironically, she figured, the hunters were going to need a gentle touch.

Robin “Ahem”ed, bringing the focus back to her, and ignored Tazik’s comment.

Hopper: We’re prepared to give you a tour of some of our facilities and present on recent strides the Federation has made in our theoretical and applied sciences. I think you’ll find it interesting.

She handed the Hirogen beta a PADD with a summarised breakdown of the SRC’s sections, labs, and facilities. In his hands, it almost looked like a compact personal communicator.

Hopper: Why don’t you tell us what fields most interest you, and we can start there? I have a listing of our departments for you here…

She watched, mildly annoyed, as he skimmed it at warp factor, before looking up. One of the other Betas in the small pack behind reached for it and they began looking through it as well.

Tazik: I want to see… whatever it is you want to show me.

She smiled and blinked a few times, containing the urge to roll her eyes. It was like asking her little sister where she wanted to eat. The answer was always “I dunno, whatever you want to do,” until a decision was made. Then the tantrum would begin. “But I don’t want Pizza!!!” She wondered if this Hirogen Beta would find whatever choice was made similarly unappetizing.

She simply nodded and gestured towards the waiting turbolift that could carry them to any of the other levels of the Science & Research Center.

Hopper: Very well, right this way. We can take this lift to any section of the Center that interests you.

oO For when you inevitably change your mind… Oo

While she directed the various Hirogen into the large personnel turbolift, Keehani spoke briefly with Veers. Robin glanced over, but didn’t catch their conversation. She briefly remembered her first week aboard Amity, how much there had been to take in – and that had been after two years aboard the Wall Street. Veers really was getting a taste of the Delta Quadrant, straight out of the Academy.

Before Bec entered the lift, Robin pulled her aside for a moment. If the Hirogen were, as she felt, something of a ‘lit fuse’, she was going to need to ensure everyone was focused on keeping things calm. The presence of a Security Officer was both necessary and a potential source of restlessness for their visitors. But Robin had something else in mind for Bec to do as well.

Hopper: ::Placing a hand on Bec’s shoulder::  I want you to know that you’re here for more than a show of ‘muscle’, Bec. The Hirogen are, by no means, a luddite species. I’d like you to engage with them – learn what we might have to learn from them in exchange. Advanced armor, ship stealth systems, weaponry.  ::Grinning::  Have fun with it.

She nodded.

Iko: I'll try my best.

Robin smiled.  oO I know you will. Oo

Hopper: Okay. Off we go!

She turned around once more, ushering stragglers into the lift and entered it herself, last. As Keehani stepped back onto the train, she offered a few parting words.

Keehani: Tazik, if there is anything you need, just ask one of our Starfleet officers.  The Federation Diplomatic Corp will do our best to arrange it.  ::Smile:: Enjoy the tour.

The doors slid shut. Robin turned to the input panel and made a selection. Level Seven was, in some ways, the most broadly-applicable section, with lab spaces and equipment dedicated to Physical, Astronomical, and Warp sciences. Given the present company (Hopper, Veers, S’Raga), it was also a safe bet in terms of assembled expertise. Nadeshiko, she was sure, would thrive no matter where they went – one of the chief reasons the civilian woman had been included in the tour group.

Tazik: So, Hopper, tell me about your facilities.

The crowded lift began moving.

Hopper: ::Turning to face him::  Well, there’s a lot to tell, Beta Tazik. It’s a state-of-the-art facility covering a wide range of scientific disciplines.  ::Looking around for the PADD::  All of which are listed on the PADD which I–

Tazik: Yes, yes, but I want to hear it from you. We are here for cultural exchange right?

That caught her off-guard. She certainly couldn’t argue with that. Perhaps what she had initially taken as disinterest was, in fact, a genuine desire to connect. Could that be? Or was this just some other strategy? Fortunately, while the gears in her head spun, their new Ensign chimed in – just as Robin had asked – providing a more detailed response to the Hirogen inquiry.

Veers: It’s quite the large setup, we have twenty four total R&D levels, dedicated civilian, and starfleet laboratories as well as a section devoted to joint ventures. Each floor has its own dedicated research and dedicated teams for said research.

Nadeshiko: We also have teams dedicated to analysis and prioritization of the research.

S’Raga: Response

Robin smiled, grateful to be backed by a trio of enthusiastic and knowledgeable people. Despite the reservations she was sure each and every one of them felt about this situation, she also felt confident that each of them was prepared to make it work for the possibility of a lasting peace.

((Level 7))

As the turbolift began to slow, Robin looked once more to Tazik – then to the other assembled Hirogen guests. If Tazik wanted to connect, she would happily give him that.

Hopper: As you can see, one of our core strengths is teamwork and mutual support. It’s a concept I know the Hirogen are keenly familiar with.  ::Looking to Tazik::  Your hunting parties are renowned for their success in large part due to your ability to coordinate and work together.

Tazik responded with an intimidating grin – a toothy predatory smile which, in any other context, would have made the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end. But to Robin it felt like something else. Understanding, perhaps?

The lift stopped and the door wooshed open. Bec was the first to step out, standing to the side. Robin stepped out next, bringing Tazik along beside her, while the others milled out into the landing.

Hopper: ::Continuing::  We hold a similar philosophy here in the SRC. Each level is an independent unit, focused on a particular branch of the sciences – but, they also work together, forming a cohesive whole. This allows us to work efficiently towards collaborative research goals as well as responsively solving problems.

Those answers seemed to satisfy Tazik for the moment, as he offered little else in response. But Robin could sense the general mood of the assembled Hirogen shifting from postured to intrigued – a good sign. Now they just needed to maintain that interest.

Iko: Here we are.

Robin turned around, nodding to Bec.

Hopper: Thank you, Lieutenant.

She began leading the group forward. Level Seven, like most of the SRC, was designed in a circular ring-pattern, with sealed lab spaces along the outer perimeter, a circular meeting area in the center. Robin moved towards this hub now.

Hopper: Each level consists of several specialized laboratories and one ‘flex’ lab, which possesses a modular design capable of supporting a wider range of projects, depending on what our current focus is on. Each is also equipped with cutting-edge holographic interfaces – like this one.

As they entered the level’s central hub, the large black glass-covered terminal in the center came to life with the familiar LCARS system. From a pair of holo-emitters, one built into the table’s surface and the other the ceiling panel above, emerged a projection of the Nurioopta Solar Nebula, upon the borders of which Amity was stationed. It slowly spun, providing them with an impressive three-dimensional view of the space outside.

Hopper: These new systems allow not only a much broader array of responsive tools – but also instantaneous visualization and modeling of complex problems.

S'Raga: Response?

Tazik: It is quite… expansive. And what is it that is done here again?

Veers: This is… one of the Starfleet physics wings. Physics, astrophysics, quantum physics… Warp physics… Lots of Physics. My bread and butter.

Robin smirked at the phrase, “lots of physics,” imagining that written on a dissertation – or perhaps even on a doctorate.

Hopper: ::Pointing them out, rotating to face each one::  Our General Physics lab is here, Astrophysics here, Warp physics, and our Flex lab. These are relatively broad topics and, as you might expect, there is a lot of crossover between these disciplines and other divisions… and not just within the SRC. Medical, Engineering, and Operations crew members also spend time here.

S'Raga: Responses

The Hirogen Betas looked around the room curiously. She could imagine that, given their overwhelming cultural focus on ‘the Hunt’, their scientific and technological advancements were somewhat stagnant – or at least quite focused on a particular type of development. The Federation however, took a far more generalized approach, made evident in the certification of “Science Officers”, which required a broad knowledge of topics.

Already, the Hirogen were seeing a significantly-more-advanced Starfleet than the one they were familiar with. Thirty years of research and development, which seemed to move faster every year – and was likely to continue to accelerate with the abolishment of the synth ban – had radically changed things from Voyager’s day already.

The Hirogen seemed particularly interested in the holographic interfaces, or perhaps the ability to emit holograms outside of a dedicated holodeck. Robin could imagine a range of applications they might find for that technology alone.

Tazik: This would make for a great trophy room.

oO Huh. Yes… I suppose that is one such application… Oo

Iko: Well, it's not.

Robin shot a look at Iko and crossed her arms. She hoped the Security Officer would take it as a sign that any unnecessary contradiction of the Hirogen at this stage was not helpful.

Fortunately, Tazik merely smiled again in response.

Tazik: I know. But it could be.

Veers: AAaanyway, do you have any sort of questions you’d like to propose. I think we can talk warp engines, at least, the theoretical science behind it. That or… Ensign S’Raga can talk about our upgraded communications systems that let us talk between our quadrant and here.

Hopper: Indeed. The Hirogen, of course, are no strangers to advanced communications systems – such as your famed Communications Relay Network. We’ve made great strides in communications over great distances, as Ensign S’Raga can elaborate on…

S’Raga: Response

As S’Raga spoke, Robin took to the central console and began pulling up visualizations of the technology and theories he was addressing. She was careful to avoid anything overly-technical – which would not only be difficult to comprehend from a holographic model, but might also provide more information than they were willing to as yet. Still, she hoped it would provide context for what the HCO was discussing.

Tazik: Response

Veers/Nadeshiko/Iko: Responses

oO I hope Veers and Nadeshiko are taking notes… Oo  she thought. Watching the Hirogen delegation and determining what seemed to interest them – then focusing in on those topics – was the best way, in her mind, to convince them of the value that peace with the Federation had to offer.

Hopper: ::Chiming in::  And it’s not just communications signals which can be sent across greater distances. We’ve had some leaps in transporter technology as well, along similar lines.

S’Raga: Response

Tazik: Response

Veers/Nadeshiko/Iko: Responses

The flip-side of course, in withholding the details, was to show the Hirogen just how far Federation technology had come – and let them consider how it might make them a stronger and more resilient foe, if their minds should stray that way. Robin understood the Hirogen appetite for “worthy prey” – but she also knew that they were not truly as ‘relentless’ as they liked to claim. Hirogen Hunters generally didn’t have a death wish and would turn from a fight they knew they could not win, so that they might live to hunt another day.

((OOC – Can backsim here if S’Raga, or anyone else, has more to say about Comms / Operations-related developments))

Next, Robin pointed towards the Warp Science lab, leading the group towards it.

Hopper: Another thing you might find fascinating is the breakthroughs we’ve made recently in Warp Theory and Quantum Slipstream technology.  ::Turning around, walking backwards as she spoke::  This outpost’s origins were in Borg Research – a threat I’m sure we’re both familiar with. Research into Slipstream was originally inspired by Voyager’s time here in the Delta Quadrant, and it functions somewhat like Borg Transwarp technology.

Veers: Response

Tazik: Response

S’raga/Nadeshiko/Iko: Response

They entered the Warp Science lab, the large sliding glass doors parting to grant them entry. As they stepped inside, they found themselves staring at a facility resembling a (somewhat miniaturized) dilithium energizer room, complete with a functional antimatter reactor.

Hopper: While different technologies and resources are used by Quantum Slipstream Drives than traditional Warp Drives, we still use a matter/antimatter reaction as a primary power source – and the QSD fields are generated through navigational deflector systems, not unlike Warp.  ::Turning to face the Hirogen::  This means that many ships capable of Warp travel can be upgraded, with relative ease, to allow QSD speeds.

Veers/Tazik/S’raga/Nadeshiko/Iko: Response

TBC

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)
Chief Science Officer, Amity Outpost