Lt. Robin Hopper: Growing Things

Robin Hopper

Apr 16, 2023, 11:20:13 AM4/16/23
to Amity Outpost (IC)

((OOC – Moving the scene along per the 48/72 hr rule, but have retained all unfilled tags.))

((Ikaia’s Lab – Level 3, Science and Research Center, Amity Outpost))

As she stepped off the turbolift into the Medical Sciences level of Amity’s Science and Research Center (where Ikaia’s lab was located), Robin rolled her neck slightly and pinched at her shoulder. It hadn’t been bothering her before, but she was beginning to think she might have tweaked something performing a spike during the match earlier…  It was either that or somehow she’d done it tossing a fry into her mouth – and that was a possibility she was not going going to entertain.

As the door slid open with a little ‘whoosh’, Robin waved at the Klingon CMO.

Hopper: Heyyy… ::To Ikaia::  Long time no see, buddy… Where’s your student?

Kalil: Me?

Despite expecting someone else to be there, Robin jumped slightly as the young man spoke, having completely missed him amongst the trailing plants growing off the CMO’s shelves. A moment later she let out a calming laugh and shook her head at her own reaction.

Wong: Response

The Kriosian man left the table, putting down his instruments, and crossed the space to Robin, greeting her with a bright smile and a handshake, both of which she happily reciprocated.

Kalil: Hello, I'm Kalil.

Hopper: Kalil – nice to meet you. Lieutenant Robin Hopper, Chief Science Officer. Don’t worry I’m not here on ‘official’ business or evaluations or anything. I just came to look at the plants.

Kalil: Ah…

As they broke from the handshake, Robin put her hands on her hips and looked around. Wong’s menagerie had grown since she saw it last - if not in the number of plants, than certainly in the volume and spread of each one. It was a beautiful and intriguing collection – each one holding some unique property or purpose beyond just the aesthetic.

Wong  : Response

Hopper: So, Kalil, are you interested in botany’s role in medicine?

Kalil: Yes, certainly. Lieutenant Wong has been introducing me to the history and use of Hypericum perforatum... or what humans call "St. John's wort."

Wong: Response

Hopper: Oh yes…  ::Taking a closer look at the plant::  The ancient Greeks even used it to treat a variety of ailments as far back as 4,000 years ago, if I remember correctly.

Kalil: Do you have a background in botany, Lieutenant Hopper?

She looked over her shoulder at Kalil, scrunching her mouth to one side and looking up as she considered her answer. After a second, she looked at him as she spoke.

Hopper: Mmm… Not officially. But I did grow up on a farm – and the leap from agriculture to botany isn’t so great.  ::Small smile, back to the Hypericum::  Growing things have always held a special place in my heart.

Wong: Response

As she turned away from the plant, placing her hands on her hips, she listened.

Kalil: I must admit that we haven't done much study of the subject during my schooling on Krios Prime. I'm eager to learn more.

Hopper: Well – this is a fantastic place to learn. Not only do we have Ika–  ::Ahem::  Lt. Wong’s extensive collection, but a growing collection of species represented in our two-level Botany Lab, here in the SRC, as well as in Peace Park. Have you had any opportunity to see them?

Wong/Kalil: Response

She grinned eagerly at the opportunity to show off two of her favourite places aboard Amity Outpost.

Hopper: I’d be happy to give you a tour some time, if you are genuinely interested in the subject. I take it your studies are fairly ‘generalized’ for the time being? Is that common on Krios?

Kalil/Wong: Response

Hopper: ::Nodding::  Gotcha.  ::To Wong::  Well, what else is new and exciting in your collection?

Wong/Kalil: Response

Hopper: Now that I have to see!

Wong/Kalil: Response

TBC