Lt. Robin Hopper: Crunch Time

Robin Hopper

Nov 18, 2022, 9:20:41 PM11/18/22
to Amity Outpost

((“Bridge, USS Independence-B” - Holodeck 1, Level 5, Copernicus Center))

S'Raga: I've lost all helm control. ::Turning to face Barberra:: We're adrift, Captain.

Barberra: ::Tut:: Greeeaaat.

Robin looked at her own console. It too had faded. Power wasn’t entirely gone – but their controls were locked out. It very much seemed as if their own computer systems were turning against them. Maybe S’Raga was right in suggesting the ship was, in fact, fighting him at the helm…

Hopper: Science isn’t responding either… ::Pursing her lips in thought:: …If the program is adapting to our analyses, maybe it’s trying to push us in a particular direction. Internal sensors weren’t giving us a clear picture of what was happening in Engineering, so you sent a team.

Iovianus: All controls are gone.

Barberra: ::To Hopper:: I think we have to pretend we’re not in a holodeck program to get out of this mess.  Otherwise it thinks we’re cheating and just enacts harder scenarios, ::sarcastically:: thanks very much for that James T Kirk.  ::Raising finger:: Watch this.  =/\= This is Crewman Annamae Barberra to Commander Wil Ukinix.  Hey, can you get the computer to turn down the difficulty of this scenario? =/\=

Computer: =/\= ::Error tone:: There is no Commander Ukinix registered on board the USS Independence-B. =/\=

Barberra raised her finger before the ship rocked again from more phaser fire. Robin clutched her darkened terminal and stabilized herself as the shaking died down.

Berberra: See?

S’Raga: Alright, so we need to make sure the fact that we're in a holodeck isn't influencing our decisions. What would we do if this were all really happening?

Hopper: ::Hesitantly:: Maybe someone needs to take a shuttle and investigate the moon? See what’s out there… ‘up close and personal’?

Iovianus: Dangerous, but it could work. The Type-10 would be the best option it has both set of armaments to give us a hand if we need it.

Barberra: I’m liking it.  ::Slowly rolling hand:: Go on…

S’Raga: Chaffee type shuttlepods are small but tough. It can probably handle whatever's waiting for us out there.

Hopper: Yeah, or, of course the shuttle could just be blasted to smithereens.

S’Raga nodded in agreement. Had it not been for her knowledge that the holodeck safety systems were in place, she would have found him surprisingly un-phased by the possibility of being “blasted to smithereens.”

Iovianus: Also if we have no controls we may not be able to open the bay doors to get it out.

Barberra: Itty bitty pieces does sound like fun.  ::looking up:: Computer, run a level 4 diagnostic on the shuttle bay doors.

Computer: Working…

S’Raga: We need a backup plan in case we can't deploy the shuttlepod.

Hopper: Oh, I don’t really like this idea – but we could transport someone out there in an EV suit. The other ship might not even detect them, given the interference from their own tetryon emissions…

Iovianus: Or it becomes a hostage situation, or you are just as likely to be blown out of space. ::shaking his head:: If we had movement and could provide cover, that would be one thing.

Robin deferred to the Security Officer / XO’s evaluation. She hadn’t liked the idea anyhow.

Barberra: At the moment we are uncertain of both.

S’Raga: I don't see any signs of us getting helm control back any time soon.

Iovianus: If the transporters are working still, since the others left before we lost power we could try and get the shuttle out. Two would have to go and two would have to stay.

S'Raga swiveled his seat to face the rest of the bridge crew. Iovianus turned his attention pointedly to Barberra.

Iovianus: Which would mean that you stay here, Sir. Regulations are clear.

Robin watched the crewman’s face intently, wondering what decision she would render.

Barberra: ::Hand wave:: For one time in my life I like a Starfleet regulation.  But I would like some recommendations on who we would send.  And let’s be honest, if it’s weird out there I want to see it.

Iovianus: S’Raga and Robin would be the suggestion, without power to the engines we don’t need a helmsman at the moment, and Robin can get the most information out of the sensors. If there are no objections.

S'Raga: Agreed. And besides, I'd rather take my chances in the shuttlepod than an EV suit. I always have to shove my tail in one of the pant legs of those things, which is just uncomfortable.

Hopper: If S’Raga’s at the helm I wouldn’t object – but it’s your decision either way, Captain Barberra.

Iovianus: The regulations are clear but so is the danger you will be sending your friends into.

Barberra: Hmm… ::Stroking chin:: Send me, or my fellow pretend junior but actually very senior officers, to potential shenanigans… and if *I* go, I’ll be breaking regulations… this is a tough decision… I need inspiration.

Robin watched curiously as their Captain stood and crossed the room to the nearest replicator…

Barberra: ::To replicator:: Program Barberra-Eta-Nine-One.

…and produced a headband with some sort of insectoid claws sticking off of it. Even Robin was slightly nonplussed by the development – but it seemed to please the Captain, who put it on her had and returned to her captain’s chair. S’Raga chuckled and Robin gave him a look that combined confusion, amusement, and the thought: “what the hell is going on here?”

Barberra: That’s better.  ::Touching headband, closing eyes:: The ideas are flooding in… ::Opening eyes:: Commander Iovianus, broadcast a subspace distress signal.  The “louder” the better, I want our enemy to know that Earth knows now.

Iovianus: Response

Computer: Level 4 Diagnostics complete. Shuttle bay doors operational.

Barberra:  Perfect timing.  ::To Cassian:: Commander Older Brother, as always I appreciate your recommendation, and I’m going to take half of it.  I need a science officer here to help detect who or what is out there and wants us disabled like this.  If whoever it is detects your shuttle, they may try the same trick, which is why you need to go with S’Raga.  Take a shuttle with Ensign S’Raga and investigate the moon.

Iovianus: Response

S'Raga stood up from his station and walked towards their XO. Robin tilted her head back and forth, trying to work out what she could do to be useful in a bridge with no working consoles, before deciding that she might as well try her hand at getting at least her own console operational until Nathan and Lieutenant Reade could get things fixed.

S’Raga: Sir, I recommend we take the Jefferies tube down to the shuttlebay. With the main power offline, we wouldn't want to take unnecessary risks with the transporters or turbolifts.

Barberra: Use any defensive measures you need.  Report in as soon as you find anything.

As Iovinaus and S’Raga left, Barberra made her way to the tactical station. Robin, meanwhile, tucked herself under her own console and opened the panel, greeted by a bunch of flashing lights and relays that she had only a passing understanding of.

Hopper: What are you thinking, Cap’n?

Barberra: What if the tetryon deposits are deliberate?  It could be a deceptive cloaking method.  What if they’re masking something else from us, using the tetryon to trick our sensors and distract our attention?

Hopper: It’s definitely a possibility… We’re going to be sitting ducks here either way if we can’t get our bridge back up-and-running. I can’t even really access sensors. Unfortunately, I’m no Engineer.

Barberra seemed to be in agreement, and tapped her combadge.

Barberra: =/\= Barberra to Engineering.  Report. =/\=

Iko: =/\= We found some uh… flying parasites - and a kid. Nothing too bad is happening right now though. =/\=

Hopper: ::To Barberra:: Wow, I don’t know which of those things is actually more surprising!

Wong/Richards/Reade: =/\= Responses? =/\=

Barberra: =/\= We’ve lost propulsion and helm controls.  We need them repaired on the double.  ::Double clap of hands:: Quick quick! =/\=

Wong/Richards/Reade: =/\= Responses? =/\=

Barberra: =/\= Lieutenant Iko, bring the young girl to the bridge, let’s see if we can talk to her and get some information. =/\=

Iko: =/\= Aye sir - although I would like to point out that she is… ::looking at the child:: probably not feeling the bravest. =/\=

Hopper: ::Chuckling::  Just tell her it’s all a simulation!

The bridge was rocked by another round of phaser fire.

Hopper: ::To nobody in particular::  I was kidding!!!

Barberra: =/\= Response =/\=

Wong/Richards/Reade: =/\= Responses? =/\=

With that decided, Robin did her best to adjust the power distribution and access priorities to her science console, working slowly and deliberately to avoid making the situation any worse. She glanced over to see if Barberra was making any progress with Tactical.

Hopper: I wonder what’s taking Bec so lo–

Before she could finish her thought, the doors to the turbolift were wrenched open from within by the half-Klingon security officer.

Hopper: Oh, well… There ya go.

A young Cardassian girl appeared from behind Iko. She seemed understandably shaken by the situation they had found themselves in and appeared to be using Bec to shield herself from the others. Robin brushed her hair behind her ears and tried to appear non-threatening.

Iko: Captain, this is Rasha.

Barberra/Rasha: Responses?

Hopper: ::Gently::  Hi, Rasha. Don’t worry, you’ll be safe with us.

Iko: …where'd Iovianus and S'Raga go?

Barberra: Response

Hopper: In fact, we should be hearing from them any–

S'Raga: =/\= S'Raga to the bridge. We're ready to deploy. =/\=

Robin raised her hands in amused defeat and shook her head. A small fizzling laugh escaped her lips as she turned herself back to adjusting the last few components needed to get her terminal working once more.

Barberra: =/\= Response =/\=

Iko/Rasha: Responses?

S'Raga: =/\= S'Raga to Independence, we're clear of the ship. =/\=

Barberra: =/\= Response =/\=

At the same moment, Robin’s terminal hummed back to life. She poked her head out from underneath and smiled at the sight of her science console bright and accessible once more.

Hopper: Ha-hah!  ::Replacing the access panel::  There we go. Now, let me take a look at those tetryon clusters. See if someone’s been leaving false crumbs for us to follow…

Barberra/Iko/Rasha: Responses

Iovianus/S’Raga: =/\= Responses? =/\=  (Optional)

Wong/Richards: =/\= Responses? =/\=  (Optional)

Hopper: Good Hunch, Cap’n Crunch –  ::turning dramatically over her shoulder to look at Barberra::  These tetryon emissions lack the kind of pattern degradation we could expect from a real faulty cloaking device.  ::Tapping her combadge::  =/\= Commander, Ensign – heads up. Nereid could be a trap. =/\=

Barberra/Iko/Rasha: Responses

Iovianus/S’Raga: =/\= Responses? =/\=

Wong/Richards: =/\= Responses? =/\=  (Optional)

Hopper: Now, how do all these elements make sense together? Cardassian refugees on our ship? Flying parasites? Computer malfunctions? Some sort of cloaked vessel… ::To Barberra::  Is any of this making some sort of sense to you, Captain?

Barberra/Iko/Rasha: Responses

Iovianus/S’Raga: =/\= Responses? =/\=

Wong/Richards: =/\= Responses? =/\=  (Optional)

TBC

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)
Chief Science Officer, Amity Outpost