JP: Lt Cmdr Wil Ukinix, Lieutenant JG Rebecca Iko & First Secretary Keehani Ukinix - Grand Slam (Part 1)

Zenia Emba

Aug 20, 2022, 11:01:04 PM8/20/22
to Amity Outpost – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Brew Continuum, Amity Outpost))

Bec walked into the brew Continuum. It was time to continue the well deserved break, even if she had woken up at 0630 hours this morning.

Iko: Out for your morning coffee commander?

Wil turned on his heel, a mug of warm liquid in his hand.

Ukinix(H): Bec!  How are ya’?  No coffee for me, I’ve given it up.

Iko: Tea? Or hot chocolate? Please tell me you're having your hot chocolate with Tim Tams.

Wil looked down at his mug, before smiling.

Ukinix(H): Hot chocolate  ::chuckling::.  Wow, do you know how long it’s been since I’ve done a slam?  I might have to replicate some, if they’re in the database.  If they are, I’ll make some for us.  If not, I might have to arrange for Mum to send us a care package from home.

Bec smiled.

Iko: Well, I was wondering, since we're on shore leave, there was this campsite I was wanting to try out.

Ukinix(H): ::Tilt of head:: Camp site?  ::smirking:: You’re not thinking of setting up a tent in Peace Park, are you?

Iko: Well, no. ::smiling::

The human version of Wil may have been devoid of his empathic senses, but he could tell that Bec had something on her mind.

Ukinix(H): Alright Bec, c’mon, what’re you thinking.  Spit it out.

Iko: I'd have to get my XO's permission, and I also want to invite said XO…

Ukinix(H): Oh!  Well if the XO likes it, that improves the chances of approval.  Hmm, you’re a smart operator, Lieutenant.

Iko: There's this little moon… Florere I think it's called, and it seems to have the best camping spot along a river.

Ukinix(H): Florere… never heard of it.  Are we talking holographic, or real moon in a system near Amity?

Iko: ::grinning:: Real moon.

Ukinix(H): Sounds interesting.  What makes it such a good campsite?

Iko: It has the perfect little clearing in its forest just at the edge of a river.

Ukinix(H): How little?  Because, you know, it’s a campsite, we need to spread out.  Plus a place to land whatever shuttle we take.  And we have to be mindful of that whole… you know.. Hirogen thing.

Iko: okay… a bit bigger than “little.” like enough for all our &$#@.

Wil looked sideways at Bec upon hearing her swearing, before he lifted his hand and stroked his beard as he pondered.

Ukinix(H): Hmm.. well I am due a day or two of leave...

Iko: Trust me, it’d be fun!

Ukinix(H): How far away is this moon?  How long to fly there.

Iko: 3 hours at warp 4 I believe…

Ukinix(H): I just need to make sure I have the time, that’s all.  I have to let Carter know, coordinate with him and make sure it doesn’t clash-

Iko: Of course.

Ukinix(H): Are we allowed to park the shuttle next to the camping site?  ‘Cause, you know, that’s the best tent there is.

Iko: We can, but tents are way more fun…

Ukinix(H): Are we bringing anyone else?

Iko: Well, do you have anyone in mind?

Ukinix(H): Oh, I didn’t, but uh.. Well okay, I did.

Iko: Just think about it, sitting by the river, round a campfire…

Bec was smiling broadly about this.

Ukinix(H): Promise me you’ll bring dark chocolate tim tams…

Iko: And hot chocolate. And Vegemite - if you enjoy it. Oh and lamingtons. Can't forget the lamingtons.

Ukinix(H): Alright, you’ve sold me.  0600, tomorrow we’ll take the Daintree.  In the meantime I’ll go and ask the person I had in mind if they want to come.

Iko: Thank you!

((Scout Daintree, the next day))

The Daintree had left Amity 3 hours earlier, and was now approaching the small moon that had been named Florere.  It was the sixth planet around a gas giant, and the only habitable planet (or planetoid for that matter) in the system.

Around the size of Luna, it looked very different - like a small version of Earth. Blue oceans, blue atmosphere, and apart from the Icy poles, green land masses.

Ukinix(H): It’s gorgeous.  Look at this.  The Betazoid surveyors of the nebula undersold some of these places when they surveyed for benamite.  Where’s the clearing located?

Iko: East of the southern continent.

She smirked. Although it wasn't a continent with two points at the top, with one significantly "pointier" than the other and a little island south-east, it was still the south.

Iko: Hang on - sending coords to helm now.

Keehani looked up from the murder-mystery novel she was reading on her PADD, then made her way over to the front window.  She leaned forward a little to get a good view of the planet.

Keehani:  It’s little.  ::To Bec:: Are you sure it’s safe down there?  Because you know, after what happened to Rivi… and then the bacteria on Idrustix that affected you and Tri’lea…

Ukinix(H): ::slightly annoyed:: We’ve already checked, Keehani.  ::To Bec:: Lieutenant, ran another scan just to be sure.

Iko: …Plant life… Bugs… Nothing too spesh.

Ukinix(H): ::To Keehani:: See?  Just us and few insects, and a campfire. ::Slight smirk:: No need to get your senses in a knot.

Keehani: ::To Wil:: Hmmph.

Iko: C'arn, it'll be fun! Besides, you got me if anyone annoying decides to show up.

Ukinix(H): Righto, take us in then.  I wonder if we’re the first people to ever visit this moon.

Iko: Maybe? Maybe.

Keehani:  By the Four, we’d better be safe, cousin.

((Clearing, Florere))

Iko: Damn, it's way better than I thought.

They had parked in the corner, with tree’s arching over the shuttle, not too different from any of Earth's trees, but different enough that it felt alien, with the dark red logs and the lime green curled leaves that looked, for a lack of a better description, like big bean tendrils. The trees continued in a natural semi-circle of sorts, stopping when the river flowed through… or well, it was more like a creek, and the waters were clear, showing the stones and twigs than lined the streambed, which a different species of trees that continued beyond.

Wil walked off the gangway of the Talon class scout, and looked around.  Keehani was already out in the clearing, looking around, squinting slightly from the glare of the overcast conditions.

Ukinix(H): Wow, this place is gorgeous.

Keehani: It certainly is.  ::looking around:: The Four were happy when this moon was formed.

Iko: Hang on-

Bec ran back into the shuttle before pulling her starfleet jacket off, leaving the tank-top underneath, and putting her leather jacket on, shoving her hands in the pockets. she returned back outside momentarily, after attaching her (new…ish) combadge to the jacket.

Ukinix(H): You look like you’re about to go beat some heads in that jacket, Bec

Keehani: ::Eyeroll: Wil knows nothing of fashion, don’t listen to him.

Iko: ::spinning around, showing off outfit:: what do you think?

Keehani: ::smiling:: It seems very Earth retro, Lieutenant Iko, I like it. I can tell you do too.

Ukinix(H): You going to change out of the rest of your uniform?

Iko: ::shrugging:: Starfleet pants are comfy…

Ukinix(H): ::Shrug:: Can’t argue with that.

Keehani: ::looking at Wil with puzzled expression:: Why would you?

Bec looked at Keehani with her own puzzled expression. oO Why would he do what? … Oh. Oo

Iko: Okay, what are we thinking? Om-noms, setting up tents and stuff, splashing in the creek? Getting the fire going?

Keehani: ::Still puzzled expression:: I’m sorry, “om-noms”?

Wil chuckled at his second cousin, before heading back inside the shuttle to get changed out of his uniform.

The chuckle was contagious to Bec too, and only once it had calmed down she was able to respond to the question

Iko: Food.

Keehani: Oh.

Keehani’s eyebrows pulled together slightly.

Keehani: I’m going to learn a lot on this excursion, aren’t I.

Bec shrugged.

Iko: Probably.

Keehani: ::Smirk, before looking around:: This is a lovely moon.  Once word gets around Amity, I can see it becoming very popular.

She nodded.

Iko: What's taking him so long?

The First Secretary pivoted on her foot to look towards the shuttle.

Keehani: Who knows.  Maybe he’s going through several outfits… t-shirts.

Iko: Now, did you want ::chuckle:: Om-noms…

She tried completing the sentence but the chuckle was superior.  Keehani titled her head slightly, curious about the Lieutenant’s behaviour.

Wil made his way out of the scout, wearing shorts, casual shoes and his “AMITY” t-shirt.

Ukinix(H): That’s better.

Keehani: So, what now?

Iko: Well, I think first things first… Kehanni needs to probably get out of her heels. Second thing, ::holding up object from in her pocket:: I got this bad boy for camping trips… And ::looking at Wil:: I can always recycle it in the replicator if you don't approve…

Keehani: Lieutenant… Bec?  May I call you Bec?

Iko: Of course.

Keehani: ::Smiling:: It’s “Keehani”.  It’s funny though, there was a “Kehanni” at my school, very mean.  She used to call me “eyeroll face”.

Iko: oO Whoops… Oo

Ukinix(H): ::smirking, sarcastically:: Now why ever would she call you that?

Keehani began to give Wil an eye roll, before stopping herself and biting her bottom lip.

Ukinix(H): ::Looking at Bec:: What have you got there?

Iko: ::passing it over to Wil:: My camping toolkit. I think they used to be called "pocket knives" although this one doesn't actually have much in the knife department. Does make it a hell of a lot easier to do stuff, but again, not necessarily "required." It's got a cap bottle opener, a cork bottle opener… and a torchlight. ::furrowing eyebrows:: And a random key…

Keehani: A key?  What sort of key?

Bec shrugged.

Wil inspected the device, specifically looking at the cork bottle opener.

Ukinix(H): ::Impressed:: Old style bottle opener.  Wow.

Iko: ::smirking:: What drink do you both want?

Ukinix(H): I’ll just have a beer for now. But I *did* bring a bottle of my grandparent’s red for when we get the campfire going ::taps nose::.

Keehani: A banana and blueberry smoothie with a shot of Raktajino please, Bec.  I have tried to avoid the smoothie craze, but thanks to the Ambassador they are surprisingly addictive.

Iko: ::rushing back to the shuttle:: Computer, one bottled beer, one banana and blueberry smoothie, with a smidge of Raktajino, and… one rum and… cola.

The replicator granted her wishes and she took the drinks to her Ukinix companions, one in each hand, and Wil's beer held by intricate finger positioning.

Wil took the beer bottle from Bec.

Ukinix(H): Thanks, Bec.

Keehani reached out and grabbed the smoothie.

Keehani: ::Smiling:: Thankyou, Lieutenant.

Ukinix(H): ::Looking around:: Let’s go for a wander along the creek?

Iko: She is a beauty…

Keehani: ::Shrug:: Sounds good to me.  ::gesturing, pointedly looking at Bec while smirking:: I will change out of my heels then, shall I Lieutenant?

TBC…

Lieutenant Commander Wil Ukinix (H)
Starfleet attaché and First Officer
Amity Outpost

&

First Secretary Keehani Ukinix
Amity Outpost
Federation Diplomatic Corps, United Federation of Planets
V239511WU0

&

Lt. JG Rebecca Iko
Security Officer