Lt. Robin Hopper: Make Room For Fun

Robin Hopper

Nov 5, 2022, 1:01:05 PM11/5/22
to Amity Outpost

((Amity Outpost – Habitat Ring, Beijing District))

As they came to the first available apartment, Robin did her best to assess its features. It had an entrance at the ground level, and seemed to be arranged more vertically – from the outside, she guessed it had three levels with relatively small ‘footprints’. The door opened for them, thanks to S’Raga’s Ops permissions, and they peered inside.

Hopper: So, what can you tell me about the place?

S’Raga: ::Looking closely at his PADD:: Let's see... Well, we have the living room and powder room on the ground floor, the kitchen and dining room on the second floor, and on the top floor, we have the bedroom, ensuite bathroom, and study. There are fireplaces in the living room and study, and there's a balcony attached to the bedroom.

Robin looked about, trying to imagine living there. She nodded as she listened, but the truth was it didn’t seem quite right to her.

Hopper: The ceilings are a little low, don’t you think? I mean, I understand there’s multiple levels, but I’d happily have a bungalow if I could see from one end of the place to the other.

S’Raga: Alright! We can definitely look for something with more... openness.

Robin nodded. Not only did the smaller rooms remind her more of the mildly-claustrophobic accommodations on her previous vessel, but they would also make it harder to request a little modification she desired. Ever since she had been a teenager and first begun exploring holo-programming, she’d dreamt of having embedded holo-emitters in her living space.

She had begged her mothers – separately, hoping to get the drop on them – but they had refused… and of course it had been entirely out of the question while studying at Berkeley or the Academy – and she would never have dreamt of asking Captain Sh’thorn… But here on Amity? Things were different.

Hopper: I, uhh, also have a special request to make that may be relevant to our selection process, now that I think about it. I was hoping that I might be able to convince someone in Ops to help me install some holo-emitters in the suite…  oO Perhaps a certain Caitian Ensign who owes me his life? Oo  …I know it’s not ‘standard’, but I’m willing to sacrifice other features for it.

She smiled hopefully as S’Raga brought a hand to his face, stroking his mane contemplatively. She knew it was a big ask – and one which she would want to have cleared properly with the current Acting Chief of Operations, Lieutenant Reade – but it wasn’t against regulations. Really, she hoped to minimize disruption to the Operations division and to her living space during the installation.

S'Raga: Ok, I'll help you out. On one—no... Two conditions.

S'Raga held up two clawed fingers in emphasis. Robin raised her eyebrows, but nonetheless tilted her head forward receptively.

Hopper: Go on…

S'Raga: First condition: You tell me what you plan on using them for.

Hopper: ::Chuckling::  You have all day?  ::Thinking about her answer::  The short answer is for fun. I mean, just think about what an amazing murder mystery party you could hold when the environment can change to suit the time and setting? Or waking up with tropical sand underfoot and a gentle ocean breeze filling your kitchen…

S'Raga: Huh. I wasn't expecting that, but I actually love that idea.

Hopper:  ::Shrug::  But, you know, there are practical applications as well. As a Physicist I find holographic modeling very helpful in visualizing my work. Amity’s SRC is big and busy and being able to get some of my work done at home would be helpful…

She left out the one other reason. Malone. The holographic tabby had been a literal pet project when she was younger, but she had never been able to give him free roam of a space. In fact, she’d barely seen the little guy in a decade, aside from dragging him along on adventures in the holodeck – which he definitely hated. The thought of giving him a space to lounge about all day filled her heart with joy.

But she had no idea how S’Raga would feel about the notion of domesticated pet cats – even simulated ones – and was not about to sink her dreams of household holo-emitters just yet by bringing him up.

Hopper: ::Curious expression::  What else?

S'Raga: And second condition: So, as you're probably well aware, installing holo-emitters is a very finicky and precise process, and if you don't install them just right, the whole matrix destabilizes. So unless you want wonky holograms, we'll have to enlist some professional help, and I know just the person for the job.

Robin nodded along. Yes, she was familiar – having tried and failed to install some of her own, against her parents’ wishes.

Hopper: Okay – sure thing. Who did you have in mind?

S'Raga: Ensign Nathan Richards.

She ought to have expected as much. A big grin spread across her face – she hoped she didn’t look too goofy.  oO Perfect. Two Ensigns who owe me favours! Oo

Hopper: Oh! Nathan? Of course. It’s been a pleasure working with him on the Targhee. I guess he’s probably mentioned that I’ve been helping him… You two are roommates right?

S’Raga: Response

Hopper: Yes, yes, by all means ask Nathan. I’m sure he’ll do a great job, and it’ll be nice to be working with friends. Of course, I’m happy to lend a hand – as much as I’m able to without making the work harder that is.

S’Raga: Response

Hopper: Okay, well… Where to next? I’m guessing the list has been shortened a fair bit.

S’Raga: Response

With that, they made their way to the next apartment. It wasn’t far to walk – then again, given the circular nature of the Habitat Ring’s layout, nothing was really that far of a walk.

Hopper: ::Smiling:: Now, this is more like it!

The second apartment was on the second floor of a multi-level structure consisting of two side-by-side ‘buildings’ with a little ‘lane’ running between them. It was certainly evocative of some of Earth’s older cities. Stairs led to each of the upper floors, with a little landing for each unit. A simple elevator – a device not unlike a simpler, quainter, turbolift – also connected the floors for those with mobility challenges, which would come in handy if her leg ever ‘locked up’ again.

Most importantly, it looked as if each apartment was a floor unto itself. The square footage was likely smaller than the last apartment, but it would all be on a single level – and that sounded perfect.

Hopper: Show me what you got, S’Raga!

S’Raga: Response

TBC

==