Lt. Commander John Carter, " Raise, Call, but Never Fold."

17 weergaven
Naar het eerste ongelezen bericht

KENNETH COTTON

ongelezen,
21 nov 2021, 18:40:2821-11-2021
aan 'L B' via Amity Outpost – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Conference Room B4 - Amity Outpost - Just Shortly Before the Arrival of the Hawlat...))

Wong: Which reminds me, I don’t know what’s in the milk because a sample hasn’t been provided to anyone in the Medical Centre. So we’re going in blind at the moment. But the point I’m bringing up here is that, Commander, you need to think about what you’re going to say or do if you can’t complete this. Please keep in mind, if I think the risk is too great before we even begin, I will pull you off of this. I’d rather not see you as a patient.

Carter: While I understand your concerns, Ikaia, this is something I gave my word as a Starfleet officer to do. No one else can do this. As a leader, one must take risks to further understanding. As a famous captain once said, “risk is our business.” I could not and would not order anyone else to do this, regardless of the risk…and there will be no one else to do this but me.

Suribana: Then I believe I'll download your file on this PADD in case we need your medical history for your treatment.

That was more that prudent. John had a pretty good feeling about what was going to happen, but there was always that one percent in the back of his mind that he could be wrong. So far, the Hawlat had done absolutely nothing to lead him to believe that they were not trustworthy in what they were saying. He was betting on his hunches being right, especially now…

Wong: Are you out of your mind, Commander? We don’t know what the risks are to you and this COULD kill you! There’s a massive difference between taking a calculated risk and then leaping blindly into it. I need you to start thinking logically with your head instead of your heart!

Carter: Sorry, but that’s the way it is. Leaders lead, despite the danger or difficulty. I’ve told the Hawlat that I would be the one. To not do so brings dishonor to me and this uniform. And I will not do so.

Further debate was sidetracked as the Hawlat entered the room…

Prarim: You speak truth, Commander!

Carter smiled as the nomads entered, arms spread wide, palms open to the sky, his floor length green robes wrapped around his body, with three more Hawlat behind him…

Prarim: Already you demonstrate the sort of faith one needs to complete the Ritual of Trust successfully.

Taven: response

Sahim: Doctors, it's good to see you again.

Suribana: Likewise.

Wong: Greetings to our honourable guests. I’m glad to have you here with us today. I'm Lieutenant Ikaia Wong. Chief Medical Officer with the Amity Outpost.::nodding to one of the Hawlot:: It’s good to see you too. Nice to have you back.

Sahim: I just hope that your services are not required.

Wong: I sincerely hope not. I’d rather things go smoothly and safely than well… the opposite of that.

Suribana: I'm here just to help. Dr. Wong will make the call if needed.

Prarim: Yes, of course. We have made our preparations, but we have the advantage of gazing into the brilliant light of the Great Spirit every day. We’ve arranged for a copy of the Rite to be sent to your people - and I have brought something with me, granted by the Council of Luminaries.

Slightly raising an eyebrow, John knew that this was when things were going to get interesting. The Hawlat produced a small decorative box and placed it on the table. Unlatching it, the lid was swung open, revealing a glass vial with the thickness of a stylus…and it was filled with a radiant, purply substance, making John think of a drink he once had on Deep Space Nine. However, this was quite a bit more serious than that shore leave escapade…

Prarim: The Milk of the Angels! I understand you may have reservations about what undertaking the Ritual will involve. I want to be open with you, as you have so far been with us. You may take this sample as a token of our goodwill.

Taven: ::bows his head:: Praise be the Angels blessed by the Light of the Great Spirit. You will not have to fear, People of the Federation. ::smiling widely:: You will not partake of this Rite alone. I have been chosen of the Light to join you in this holy Rite.

This was an unexpected development, but it only gave more credit to his case that the Hawlat were not malicious or overtly dangerous. They wanted honesty, and through this rite, they would have John see what they see, think the way they think. It was what had to be done…

Carter: There is no fear, only the desire for understanding…

Wong/Prarim/Sahim: Response

Suribana: It doesn't seem the same substance we've seen, but somehow I feel it's related somehow…

Wong: ::To Suribana:: That’s because it is! Look. ::He showed Suribana the scans:: It’s concentrated. Remember those odds I was talking about earlier? They’ve jumped. Significantly.

John still was not overly worried. He had experience in dealing with mind altering substances, and he was going to carry it out, despite the opposition from his medical staff…

Carter: Starfleet officers are used to dealing with short odds:: smiling:: the path to understanding and truth is sometimes fraught with uncertainty. Faith removes that uncertainty and allows one to see with clarity…

Prarim/Suribana/Sahim/Taven: response

Wong: I’ve got this.

John was becoming absolutely furious with his Klingon MO, and he was doing his best to not let the heat of his anger leak out into the meeting…but it was beginning to be hard to contain…

Wong: ::To Prarim:: Excuse me, sir. Since I am the Chief Medical Officer here and my goal is to ensure the health of our Federation representatives, what happens if I find that one of our own is medically unfit to perform in this Ritual?

Since that would be well beyond the scope of his capacity of CMO, John was almost at the point of relieving him right on the spot…

Carter: You will find no such thing Lieutenant….

Prarim/Suribana/Sahim/Taven: response

Wong: Huh. That’s interesting. Well. Since I’m responsible for the health of my representatives, I reserve the right to pull them on medical grounds. Which if that ends up being the case, I volunteer to take their place in the Ritual.

That did it. With his fury barely contained, Carter spoke…

Carter: Mister Wong….I have made a command decision. You will either respect that decision or consider your self relieved from duty. Is that clear?

This was not the time for such theatrics from the medical staff. He was looking to build a bridge of trust with the Hawlat and Wong was doing his best to blow it up, albeit unintentionally…

Wong/Suribana/Sahim/Taven: response

With that matter now settled, John spoke…

Carter: Tell me…what is all involved in this Ritual Of Trust?

Wong/Suribana/Sahim/Taven: response

TAG/TBC

Lt. Commander John Marcus Carter

 Acting First Officer