Lt. Robin Hopper: Everything In Its Place

Robin Hopper

Nov 28, 2022, 11:51:57 AM11/28/22
to Amity Outpost

((Amity Outpost – Grand Mezzanine, Wet Goods Tavern))

Hopper sat next to S’Raga, looking across at Scotty and Evelyn. The two of them had been together for some time – with much of that spent weeks apart, either due to the Shoals’ warp-limiting tetryon fields or the three-week-voyage (even using QSD) required to reach the Delta Quadrant. Robin couldn’t imagine spending so much time apart from her partner, let alone for years – but that was the reality of a career in Starfleet. As such, she was impressed – and curious.

Hopper: Was the Kitty Hawk your first assignment out of the Academy, Evelyn – or did you transfer when you found out it would be posted to the Delta Quadrant?

Evelyn paused briefly before answering.

Beake: Oh, no. My first assignment was the USS Summit. I heard once the Kitty Hawk was being deployed in the Delta quadrant I put in my transfer papers. I actually surprised Scotty.

Reade: I had no clue she transferred. I was shocked.

Robin smiled. There was something sweet about managing to surprise someone even at one of the galaxy’s most remote Federation outposts.

S’Raga: I can imagine! That must've been a tough secret to keep!

Reade: Yea, she totally caught me off guard.

Hopper: ::A pleasant smile at Evelyn::  It must have been tough keeping the secret during the three weeks out here. I’m sure she missed you!

At that moment, there was a brief interruption as Robin’s basket of curly fries arrived. As the server moved to pass them to Robin, she directed them to put them in the center of the table. The aromatic fried and seasoned potato reminded her just how hungry she’d been before the impromptu lunch plan had developed.

Hopper: ::Taking a handful of fries and moving them to the small plate in front of her::  Everyone, feel free to help yourselves.

S’Raga: Do either of you think you'll want to work aboard the same posting eventually?

Reade: My goal is to get her to change to Amity, but with my position, I do not think that would be allowed.

Robin squinted while she ate a fry, trying to work out what Scotty meant.

Beake: I would love to, but your position won't allow it.

S'Raga: ::Genuinely:: Aw, that's too bad.

Hopper: Hmm? Why not? Evelyn, you’re currently serving as the Kitty Hawk’s Assistant Chief Engineer – and Scotty, you’re Acting Chief of Operations. I don’t see a conflict there…?

She ate another fry and looked back-and-forth between the couple. Maybe there was something she was missing – or maybe there was a larger conversation that the two of them felt would be necessary. She hoped she hadn’t stepped into the middle of something unknowingly…

Reade: Maybe I can talk to Rivi or Wil.

Hopper: ::Shrugging, speaking encouragingly::  It couldn’t hurt!  ::Smirking::  I think Rivi’s a bit of a romantic, anyways. I’m sure she’d be supportive of finding a way to work that sort of thing out.

S’Raga: Well, hopefully they can make it work for you two eventually.

Beake: Maybe I can help your case out. ::laughing::

Hopper: Well, I wish you both luck on that front. And, hey, it’s not exactly my Department, but if you need any back-up, let me know, okay?  ::Looking around the table::  Now, are we getting lunch or what?

She smirked as she picked up her own menu PADD and zipped down to what she already knew she wanted to order – the caprese sandwich. She’d noticed it being served the last time she’d come to Wet Goods and noted that it smelled delicious. As she did, she tried to keep her focus on the here-and-now, and not let her mind wander back to that evening. There was no sense in replaying it or wondering if things might have gone differently at this point… She glanced to S’Raga, at her side.

S’Raga: Alright, Robin. I'll take you up on that drink offer and get an iced latte. And to eat... Oooh, what's this? A Caitian chicken sandwich! Oh wait... It says 'Cajun', not 'Caitian'. Oh well, I'll give it a try anyway.

Hopper: ::Smiling::  Hope you like spicy, S’Raga!  ::Entering item on her own PADD::  Iced latte… That’ll balance out the heat a bit anyways.  ::To Reade and Beake::  How ‘bout you two?

Reade/Beake: Response

S'Raga: So, Robin, how's the new apartment shaping up? Got all your furniture picked out?

Hopper: Ha ha haaa…  ::Her laugh trailing off::  Well, I’m working on it. I mean, I’ve been wandering the Mezzanine for a few days trying to find a few more-unique pieces. Maybe a fun coffee table, a cool light fixture for over the kitchen island, maybe a vanity for the bedroom?  ::Chuckling::  I’ve got too many ideas and not enough patience. I feel like I need a chaperone to keep me focused.

Reade/Beake/S’Raga: Response

Hopper: Well, you all know how it is. You go through four years at the academy and another one or two sharing quarters with your fellow lower-deckers. You get used to living a certain way and keeping your possessions to a minimum… And that’s assuming you’re on an Outpost or a Galaxy Class, where there’s space to eventually move up into something before you hit Lt. Commander!

She paused a moment, then turned to S’Raga once more.

Hopper: How’re you getting on with your roommate? I get the impression Mr. Richards is a bit of a

Reade/Beake/S’Raga: Response

Hopper: What about you, Evelyn? Do you have a roommate on the– Oh!

Her question was interrupted by the arrival of everyone’s lunch. Two servers approached the table and set food down in front of the diners, Robin eying her sandwich eagerly. Drinks were then deposited, S’Raga’s iced latte in front of him and Robin’s iced tea in front of her.

Hopper: ::Picking up her glass::  I propose a quick cheers – ::nodding to Evelyn and Scotty::  to you two! Way to make the galaxy a little smaller, you guys!

Reade/Beake/S’Raga: Response

Hopper: Now, sorry, where was I? Oh, right, Evelyn, what’s life on the Kitty Hawk like these days?

Reade/Beake/S’Raga: Response

TBC

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)