Lt. Robin Hopper: (Nearly) Spilling The Beans

Robin Hopper

Nov 9, 2022, 4:16:30 AM11/9/22
to Amity Outpost

((Amity Outpost – Counselor Carter’s Office))

Robin loved to talk. It was a secret to nobody who had met her. She could talk, at length, about all the things in the universe that she found interesting – and they were many – but when it came to talking about herself, she always fell a little flat. How many times could you tell the same stories? How many ways could you try to spin your life to make it sound exciting?

The truth was, for how much she loved the idea of adventure, she had done very little of it – at least in the conventional sense. She spent half of her life on Theta VII and the other half (or most of it) in California… and nearly all of it studying. Now, whenever someone asked her to tell them about herself, she found herself circling the same few points and hoping that they hadn’t heard them before.

After explaining how her moms had met – two women she considered far more interesting than herself – she paused.

Hopper: …  I feel like I’m not telling this story very well.

Carter: Oh you are doing just fine, Robin...what about your family?

She scrunched her mouth to the side for a moment, wondering what else there was to tell.

Hopper: Well, anyways, I also have a younger sister, Keri. She’s twenty this year and currently studying politics on Tellar Prime – which probably tells you a lot about her personality…

Carter: Sounds like she wants to serve the greater good. Not a bad thing at all. How are you liking Amity so far?

Robin smiled at Carter’s optimism. She was pretty sure Keri had gone to study there so that she could never again be defeated in an argument. She shrugged.

Hopper: As for Amity, I’m doing my best to hit the ground running. It’s a big station, and there’s a lot to take in. I’ve made myself some appointments with other senior staff to try and get to know everyone during shore leave… but it’s definitely going to take some time before I feel fully ‘settled’. Actually, to that end, I’ve just gotten my quarters figured out. I’m definitely looking forward to sleeping in my own bed for the first time in…  ::eyes wide:: …months.

Carter: It was a long trip out here, and that could be disconcerting to some. It is a rather exhausting journey, but the benefits of being assigned to Amity are more than worth it.

Hopper: I requested this assignment, actually – so I hope we’re both right.

Carter: It's fascinating. So many things out here of a scientific nature, new contacts, new opportunities...

Hopper: My first mission was certainly far from ‘dull’.

Carter: Let's hope our next first contact goes a little smoother...

Hopper: ::Quiet chuckle::  Yeah, let’s find a planet full of warp-capable puppies next!  ::Tilting her head::  Honestly, I’m happy to be here – last mission and everything. I feel like I want to push myself. I want to get out there and really do something that makes a difference. I think I can do that here.

Carter: Response

Hopper: And everyone I’ve met so far has been so kind and welcoming. I ate dinner with Ambassador Vataix and her husband my first night on the station – oh, and I’ve gotten to reconnect with an old friend, our CMO, Ikaia. We went to the Academy together.

Carter: Response

Hopper: …and then there’s Nath–  ::Stopping herself::  Um, Ensign Richards.

Robin’s posture shifted subconsciously. She sat up a little straighter and her hands slid down from resting atop her knee to lightly clutching her legs from the front, closing herself off ever-so-slightly. She had gotten comfortable, disarmed by the Counselor’s calm demeanor, and nearly shared her thoughts on Nathan like she was talking to an old friend over a glass of wine.

Hopper: ::Course-correcting::  He and I have been working together on that personal project of his. The shuttle. I’ve been helping him get the components ‘talking’ to each other.

Carter: Response

TBC

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)