Lt. Robin Hopper: Home Sweet Home

Robin Hopper

Nov 14, 2022, 12:59:20 AM11/14/22
to Amity Outpost

((Amity Outpost – Main Engineering))

Hopper and Reade stood, side-by-side, awaiting the incoming Ensigns near the entrance to Main Engineering. As the red-shirted HCO and gold-shirted Engineer entered, Robin smiled warmly in greeting to them both.

S'Raga: ::Nodding to Scotty:: Sir. How can I help?

Reade: We need to make some modifications to Robin’s quarters. I will need your guy's help.

A moment after S’Raga entered, Nathan followed. His easy smile was mirrored by Robin, who tucked her hands behind her back and looked back-and-forth between the two junior officers with bright and cheery eyes.

Richards: ::To Reade:: Scotty. ::To Robin:: Rambo. ::Chuckling::

Robin chuckled and shook her head, slightly embarrassed. While ‘Rambo’ wasn’t exactly her type of flic, she was familiar enough with vintage film to understand that Nathan must have read her mission report.

Hopper: ::To S’Raga and Nathan:: ‘Afternoon, fellas. Thanks for coming to help out on such short notice. Things happen fast here on Amity, it seems…

As she said that, she inadvertently made eye contact with Nathan. It lasted only an instant, but it seemed to be enough to convey a deeper meaning, judging by his response.

Richards: ::Hoarsely:: Of…Ahem…Of course, Lieutenant. What are we helping out with?

Reade: As I was telling S’Raga, we need to make some modifications to Robin’s quarters.

S’Raga: ::Swivelling his ears from side to side:: I'm all ears!

She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms, but the amused smirk that crept across her face likely gave away the truth – that she found the Caitian’s play of words quite adorable.

Hopper: The long-and-short of it is that S’Raga helped me choose an apartment this morning and I need some help ‘moving in’… ::Chuckling:: Don’t worry, I’m not going to ask you to move any crates around. I need some of your special skills to make a few - ::glance to Reade:: Approved – modifications… But I’m still happy to supply beer and pizza in exchange for the help.

Richards: Would this count as ‘on-duty’ work? ::Smirk:: Drinking on duty may be fun, but somewhat unethical.

Reade: :: To Richards:: We are always on duty. That’s the life of being an engineer.

Hopper: Well, don’t go resigning your commissions – the beer and pizza can wait until the work is done. But I’m not going to ask you to do me this favour and not make it worth your whiles.  ::A nod to Reade::  That goes for you too, Lieutenant.

Richards: Well, count me in either way. I’m curious what kind of modifications you have in mind.

S'Raga: ::To Nathan:: I'm already in on the plan, and trust me, it'll be fun.

Hopper: ::To S’Raga – pointing with both hands::  Yes!  ::To Nathan::  Holoemitters. In my apartment! ::Tilting her head to the side momentarily::  It’s not exactly a secret, but I haven’t brought it up because I wasn’t sure what the good Lieutenant here would say about it…  ::A nod to Reade::  Scotty and I have already hashed out the basics, but we hoped you could help us with the hands-on portion, since the apartments aren’t exactly designed with this sort of thing in mind.

Reade: Hmm, I see. This may be slightly tricky due to some modifications that are going to be happening. But I think we can get this done without any significant problems arising.

Richards: Interesting. I may have an idea that may work actually. ::Smiling::

Robin smiled back, happy to have a capable and enthusiastic Engineer on her side. She was used to having to convince others to get on board with her ideas.

Hopper: I had a feeling you might.

Reade: I am all ears Nathan.

Richards: Let’s see your quarters first before I really explain my idea. See if it would work. ::Winking::

Hopper: Oh – I can’t wait for you to see the place! S’Raga really nailed it.  ::Grinning::  There’s a conversation pit!

With that, Robin grabbed Nathan eagerly by the arm and started dragging him off towards the exit.

Hopper: Plus I’m practically neighbours with Rivi. I can see their place from my balcony…

As the door to Engineering slid open in front of them, she turned back to look at S’Raga and Reade.

Hopper: What are you two waiting for?!

Reade: Ok, shall we head over?

((Habitat Ring – Beijing District, Hopper’s Apartment))

The train ride from Engineering to the Habitat Ring went much the same. Robin gushed about S’Raga excellent house-hunting skills, explained her vision for a holo-enhanced apartment and the various possibilities the technology would allow for, and discussed options for decor. She was eager to show them her apartment, but also to hear their input.

Eventually, following the little ‘streets’ that wound through the Beijing District, they came to Robin’s apartment. It was on the second floor of a three-story building – or rather, a pair of mirrored buildings side-by-side with a little ‘alleyway’ running between them. The fastest way to reach her door was up the black metal staircase that wound up the front face of the building.

Once they reached the landing, Robin excitedly pointed to her name adorning the doorchime before opening the door. It swung open, granting them access. Light streamed through the windows along the left wall into the area that would be her living, dining, and kitchen. To the right were several doors – leading into an office, powder room, and down at the end to the bedroom and balcony. After a brief tour, they reconvened in the empty ‘living room’.

Reade: Ok what was the plan, Nathan?

Richards: Response

Hopper: That makes sense to me, but..  ::shrugging::  ..to be honest, half of what you said could be made up and I’d probably still agree.

Robin and S’Raga looked to Scotty for his input.

S'Raga: What do you think, sir?

Reade: That is a solid plan, but I have some worries.

Richards: Response

Hopper: Hopefully nothing that can’t be overcome…

Reade: I think we need to take the EPS relays into mind. Since there going to be some holo-emitters it may cause some issues.

S'Raga: What kind of issues?

Robin looked amongst the various technical officers, not entirely sure why the EPS relays would be a problem.

Hopper: Could someone explain it to me? Is there anything we can do mitigate these issues?

Richards: Response

She nodded, but still glanced towards Lieutenant Reade to see if Nathan’s explanation – and solution – tracked.

Reade: Ah, I see. Good thinking. Shall we start this project.

Robin contained the urge to give them all a big hug – barely. A squeak of excitement still escaped her lips though, and she covered her mouth with both hands, clasped together.

S'Raga: I've uploaded the apartment floor-plan to each of your PADDs, and I've unlocked the replicator here to give us whatever tools and equipment we need. If you need anything bigger than what the replicator can provide, just let me know and I'll go get it.

Hopper: Also, as I said, I am available to help – especially if there’s any programming to be done, or, you know, if you need someone to pass you a hyperspanner… Uhh, oh, and since the replicators are working, I’ll whip us up some lemonade or something!

Richards: Response

Reade: Response

S'Raga: ::To Robin:: While they're doing that, I'll upload all the hologram subroutines you'll need into the console in the study.

Hopper: Perfect.

She made her way towards the replicator.

Hopper: And I have some of my own programs I’ll load in – but I can take care of that later.

With that, S'Raga opened the French doors on their right and walked into the apartment's office space, sat down at the desk and began working at the console. Robin made her way to replicator, which was built in to the front door of the refrigerator, in the kitchen.

Reade/Richards: Responses

Hopper: ::To the Replicator::  A jug of lemonade, with ice and a sprig of mint.

As the jug appeared in front of her in a flash of light, she scooped it up and spun around, setting it down on the kitchen’s island, beside the built-in sink. She could already picture a cute light fixture hanging over it, and a short row of barstools opposite. Turning back to the replicator, she felt a surge of emotion and took a moment to collect herself before placing the next order.

Hopper: Four glasses… Each with a different color paper umbrella.

She collected them and lay them out on the island.

Hopper: ::To Reade and Richards::  Can I pour you both a glass?

Reade/Richards: Response

Hopper: ::Speaking louder to the Caitian in the other room::  How about you, S’Raga? Do you like lemonade? Can I get you anything else?

S’Raga: Response

Robin nodded, despite the fact that S’Raga couldn’t see her, and prepared him a glass based on his preference.

Hopper: Okay!  ::Hands on hips::  Now, where do we get started – and how can I be useful?

Reade/Richards/S’Raga: Response

TBC

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)