Lt. Robin Hopper: How Do You Like It?

Robin Hopper

Nov 21, 2022, 3:23:12 PM11/21/22
to Amity Outpost

((Habitat Ring – Beijing District, Hopper’s Apartment))

Some time had passed – though not a terribly great deal. Between the Acting Chief of Operations, an Engineering Officer, an HCO, and Robin, they were able to make fairly quick work of the steps required for power routing, programming, and calibration. Now, all that was left, was completing the final stages of ‘installation’ and returning floor and wall panels to their proper spots.

As the work wound down, Robin considered how she might properly thank the trio for their assistance.

Hopper: Okay, boys, this is coming along great. I have a bunch of ideas for how to get this place ‘ready’ for company and I think I have to throw some sort of “housewarming party”. You three are obviously invited. I mean, you’re the guests of honour as far as I’m concerned…

Reade: Well, thanks. I will be sure to come.

S’Raga: Response

Richards: ::Smiling:: It’s been a pleasure, Lieutenant. And you can bet I will be at that party.

Robin grinned – but knew within she still had her work cut out for her. At the moment, the apartment was still completely bare, except for the

Hopper: But as for right now, I wanna reward your hard work. So, I suggest you all end your shifts a little early. I’ll order some pizza from Papa Rahms and we can replicate whatever drinks we want. Once the emitters are installed, we’ll generate some temporary furniture and have ourselves a little ‘pizza party’… ::Grinning:: what do you think?

Richards: ::Chuckling:: You’ll have to bring that up with my department head. ::Glancing at Reade:: What do you think sir?

Reade: That is a good way to stress test that system. I think that is really good.

Robin nodded graciously and looked to S’Raga and Richards expectantly.

S’Raga: Response

Hopper: ::Chuckling:: I can make it an order, if you want.

Richards: ::Mock Salute:: Yes, Ma’am.

Hopper: Great! Then, while you three finish getting the walls closed up…

She moved across the floor to the kitchen once more, picking up her PADD from the island. She began navigating to a menu for Papa Rahms.

Hopper: ::Continuing::  …I will order us some pizza. What toppings does everyone like?  ::An glance at S’Raga and Nathan with a little chuckle::  Roomies – meat lovers?

S’Raga: Response

Hopper: ::To Reade::  You okay with a vegetarian option as well?

Reade: Any pizza is good for me. I am really open. Does anyone want pineapples on it?

Robin nodded. Pineapple was one of her favourite foods. It was a shame it was so often paired with ham on pizzas. Whoever had come up with that combination was really missing out on a plethora of other good options.

Richards: I just need to get the emitters mounted and patched in and they will be good to go.

S’Raga: Response

Hopper: Perfect. I’ll get one of those in… and for the vegetarian, I’m thinking pineapple, jalapeno, onion, and cherry tomatoes?  ::A nod to Richards::  I think the timing should work out.

Reade: Sure.

Richards: Give me about 15 to 20 and it will be ready to fire up.

Hopper: Thanks, everyone! ::Pressing the button to order it::  Okay, S’Raga – why don’t you show me the software side of things while these two finish off the manual labour.  ::Smirk::

S’Raga: Response

Robin followed S’Raga to the office and stood over his shoulder as he demonstrated the system he had set up. Meanwhile, she could hear the sounds of hyperspanners activating and wall paneling being moved about in the other room. After about fifteen minutes of overview, she was confident she had all the information she’d need.

Hopper: This looks perfect, S’Raga…  ::Pointing to the screen::  And if I want to establish a new base matrix, I can reload the specs here?

S’Raga: Response

Hopper: I’ll have to remember to do that once there’s actual furniture in here.

From the other room, they heard Reade and Richards speaking, evidently nearing the end of their work.

Reade: Let me confirm all systems are good.

Richards: Response

Hopper: Alright, pack it up, Ensign. Pizza should be here any minute – and those two sound about ready to call it a day.

S’Raga: Response

The two of them returned to the living room, finding Reade and Richards finishing their work. If she hadn’t been there for it, she might never have known that work had been going on moments ago. The holo-emitters fit fairly seamlessly, only protruding slightly from the walls and ceiling where they were installed, and with the power routing complete, the floor panels had been returned to place as well.

Reade: Everything looks good. You ready Robin?

Hopper: You bet! Should we start with something fun, or should I just get us a dining table?  ::A look to S’Raga and Nathan::  Thoughts?

S’Raga/Richards: Response

Hopper: Alright..  ::A mischievous smile::  ..why not both?  ::Clearing her throat, dramatically::  Ahem! Computer, pull from personal files of Lieutenant Hopper, Robin. Reference Theta VII records and approximate a recreation of the Paydirt Saloon… we’ll need a table for four and access to the jukebox.

Reade: Fire it up!

The computer processed for a moment as it scanned Robin’s personal files for the referenced location. The Paydirt was nearly as old as the colony on Theta VII itself. Starting out as little more than a glorified mining facility, the planet’s strategic location near the border of early-23rd-century Federation territory and rich mineral deposits had led to its quick development and terraformation. Before long, farmers had begun to settle and a ‘boom town’ of sorts, with a heavily-trafficked spaceport, had been settled… But it had all grown up around the old miner’s bar.

The walls filled in with holographically-projected imagery, seamlessly expanding the small apartment into a full-sized replica of the establishment. The wood floor became metal, the windows revealed Theta VII’s downtown core, and the kitchen disappeared into the holographic illusion of the Paydirt’s bar, lined with taps. Most importantly, the old jukebox appeared in the living room beside a row of empty booths.

Robin grinned. It wasn’t perfect – but it was uncanny how similar the recreation was. And, as it completed rendering, a chime came from the door.

Richards: Response

Reade: Looks amazing. Shall we get that pizza now?

Hopper: I’ll grab the pizza, you boys head to the bar and help yourself to whatever you want. If S’Raga’s patched everything in correctly, the replicator should be able to produce all the beers and sodas listed on tap – and they should pour out into the replicated glassware without issue.

Reade/S’Raga/Richards: Response

While the three men went to the bar to survey the available drink offerings, Robin made her way to the door. It slid open revealing a young deliveryperson – likely in their teens. As she accepted the Pizzas, Robin couldn’t help but notice their eyes peeking in with a hint of confusion.

Hopper: Thanks very much – you were very quick. I’ll leave a good word.

She smiled as the door shut behind her. In fact, she knew a partial owner in the franchise – Ikaia Wong – and would be sure to tell him that his unwitting investment seemed to have been well spent.

Hopper: Who wants pizza?!

Reade/S’Raga/Richards: Response

As they sat at a booth, Robin made her way to the jukebox and selected a tune. Returning to the booth and sitting with the others, she grabbed a slice of the vegetarian pizza and took a bite – eminently pleased with how the day had turned out.

Hopper: Thank you all again so much for the help. I can’t begin to express how excited I am to really see what I can do with this upgrade… and I owe you all one!

Reade/S’Raga/Richards: Response

END

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)