First Secretary Keehani Ukinix - Coffee Diplomacy

Wil Ukinix

Oct 4, 2021, 1:58:02 AM10/4/21
to sb118...@googlegroups.com

((Deck 5, Valhalla Lounge - USS Thor – 3 weeks earlier))

Days earlier, Keehani had crashed the ceremony and subsequent celebration of Rivi Vataix’s appointment to Ambassador – and it wasn’t the first time she had crashed a Vataix party.  She may have renounced her membership from the all-but-dissolved Guardians of Betazed, a political activist group seeking Betazed independence from the Federation, but she still had contacts through the University.  And through them she managed to get an “invite” to the ceremony.

That was how she got the opportunity to approach Rivi Vataix and propose that she give the newly graduated exo-politics student a diplomatic posting.  It had worked.  After that was what could only be described as a mad scramble to pack, say goodbye to her grandmother Vaxa, and beam aboard the Thor just as it was leaving.

With a proud smile, Keehani Ukinix slowly wandered the decks of the USS Thor, still in disbelief at her new posting.

First Secretary at Amity Outpost.

Arriving at the door of Valhalla lounge, she was glad she was about to tick off the one important duty left on her list…

She scanned the quiet room and found about a dozen of people spread out.  Some in groups chatting, others by themselves.  The back of the head of a Starfleet officer wearing what appeared to be a red uniform was in a far corner, resting their head against a clenched fist, reading a PADD.

Keehani took a breath, lifted her chin, and then walked the journey over to the person.

When she arrived, she simply stood and looked at them.  She could sense they were deep in thought, and hadn’t noticed her.  She decided to change that.

Keehani: ~Hello, cousin.~

The suddenly shocked person uncontrollably flung their PADD into the air, before stared wide-eyed back at the Betazoid woman.  His jaw slowly dropped as his mouth formed into an almost perfect oval, before his stare became piercing.

Ukinix: You scared the $#%& out of me.  ::Blinking eyes a few times:: What the bloody hell are *you* doin’ here?

Keehani: ~Ambassador Vataix hasn’t told you yet. I thought so.~

Ukinix: ::Pointing at head:: Stop doing that.

Keehani: ::cheeky smirk:: ~Doing what?~

She knew exactly what he was asking - not to use telepathy.

Ukinix: What hasn’t the Ambassador told me?

Keehani sat on the chair opposite of her “second” cousin (which she found a foreign concept – on Betazed, cousins were cousins, it was as simple as that) and decided she would use her voice.  It was something she’d have to get used to more anyway.

Keehani: Well, cousin, I asked Ambassador Vataix for a posting at Amity Station.  ::Sitting up straight, hands clasping knee:: You’re looking at First Secretary Keehani Ukinix, Federation Diplomatic Corps.

Earth Ukinix was silent and still for several seconds, until-

Ukinix: :-|

Keehani: What?  You yourself said it was time our families got to know each other better.  We are of the same blood.

Ukinix: Well, yeah, but I didn’t mean we should all work together.  ::Staring past Keehani::  In the Delta Quadrant.  A month’s QSD away from home.

Keehani’s face and eyes lit up, and she gave an exaggerated shrug.

Keehani: Here I am!

There were more seconds of silence.  Wil looked around the room, before sighing in resignation.

Ukinix: Well I s’pose I should say…

Keehani: ::Raised eyebrow:: Congratulations?

Ukinix: …yyyyeah.

Keehani: Yes. Yes you should.

((Weeks later, Grand Mezzanine, Amity Outpost))

Orrey: First Secretary, how are you doing today?

Keehani: ::Politely Offering hand:: Envoy Orrey.  It is a pleasure to meet you.  I am doing well, thank you for asking.

She could sense calm and control in the man.  That was good because it put her at ease.  This was a textbook opportunity for her to exercise decorum and friendly confidence with her new colleague.

Orrey: If you have a moment? ::motioning along for them to start walking.:: Everything you wanted the job to be so far?

Keehani turned on her foot and began walking alongside Jansen.

Keehani: To be honest, Doctor Orrey, I was not sure what to expect.  ::Looking around:: But I am sure will find my mind once I have been here for a few weeks.

She felt her nerves rising a little, and smiled, before her mind remembered that, from her studies, she was not following the correct steps to build rapport.

Keehani: Oh – and you, Doctor?

Keehani followed Jansen to what appeared to be a coffee shop named the “Brew Continuum”.

oO What an odd name for a café Oo

Orrey: Oh I absolutely find my happiness here. Working to make sure that everyone is prepared, including the station itself. ::nodding his head toward a specific table.:: For instance I get to continuously meet new people.

She was about to get a demonstration of that exactly.

((Brew Continuum, Grand Mezzanine))

Aleksandrov: I take that question to mean you are a scientist? I am a geologist in the science department here. Newly arrived.

Suribana: I'm a doctor, if you've just arrived, you might need to go and have a first check up if you're to work on the station.

Aleksandrov: ::smiles:: I will add that to my list.

Keehani quietly and patiently listened to the conversation attentively.

Suribana: We'll probably see each other at one point or another. And to be fair, I'll tell you that I'm a Kerelian and I've also have arrived not so long ago. So we are both new here.

Aleksandrov: The outpost itself is new to this part of the galaxy, so in a sense, everyone is new here.

Suribana: I've yet to know the appointed CMO, so right now I'm just starting to know the job, the people and the place.

Aleksandrov: At present I am the senior geologist in my department. Although I have not met the overall department head.

Suribana: Any special hobbies or things that you like to do off duty?

Aleksandrov: ::a pale eyebrow rose:: Is this a conversation or an interrogation, Doctor? ::grins:: I am but a lowly scientist.

Orrey: Ah a doctor and a scientist, ::indicating himself and then Keehani:: and a doctor, and a diplomat...there has to be a joke there somewhere. ::offering his normal warm smile.:: Jansen Orrey, Deputy Chief of Mission, this is the First Secretary Keehani Ukinix. I don’t think we have had a chance to meet yet.

Suribana: Response?

Keehani: ::Offering hand to both:: It’s a pleasure to meet both of you.

Aleksandrov: ::smiling a welcome:: Deputy Chief, First Secretary. I am Dr. Kamoyo Aleksandrov, geology department.

Suribana: Response

Aleksandrov: You are welcome to join us. The good doctor here was interrogating me on my hobbies.

Orrey/Suribana: Response

Keehani: The smell of the café is appealing.  ::Looking at counter, smiling:: But I always judge a coffee shop by the quality their Raktajino.

Aleksandrov: I also highly recommend the pumpkin spice latte. ::gestures around:: This place will definitely make my list of favorite businesses here on the station.

Keehani nodded and smiled.  The people so far were friendly.  That was good, because she mused that living on a station was akin to living in the small town on the Piri Islands where she grew up.

Orrey/Suribana: Response

Keehani: This is my first posting.  I graduated university just over a month ago, and found out about Amity by chance through family.

Orrey/Suribana/Aleksandrov: Response

Keehani: ::To Kamoyo:: What field of science are you in, Dr Aleksandrov?

Orrey/Suribana/Aleksandrov: Response

Keehani: ::To Suribana:: And who will you be working with, Doctor?

Orrey/Suribana/Aleksandrov: Response

Tags/TBC!

Keehani Ukinix

First Secretary
Amity Outpost

Federation Diplomatic Corps, United Federation of Planets

V239511WU0