Lt Solak - Wedding Fixing

Wil Ukinix

Aug 14, 2022, 2:05:27 PM8/14/22
to Amity Outpost – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Solak’s Room - Antaak Wing - Medical Centre - Amity Outpost))

Wong: Could be better but it could easily have been worse. He's had a rough time, Ensign. But you'll see why I requested you.

Upon hearing voices, Solak awoke from his light slumber, then took a deep breath before wearily sitting up.  He nodded respectfully to Wong before giving the Vulcan salute to his fellow Vulcan.

Solak: ::Vulcan salute:: dif-tor heh smusma, Counsellor Ychol.  I am Solak, of ShirKahr.

Ychol: ::Vulcan salute:: Sarlah nash-veh tor dvin-tor, Lieutenant Solak. I am Yka-Cholae. ::A glance to Wong:: Ychol is acceptable. I should also clarify that, while I have completed my studies, I remain a 'Counselor-In-Training' for the present.

((OOC: Solak says, “Live long and prosper.” Ychol replies, “I come to serve.”))

Solak gave a single nod, logically accepting and respecting Ychol’s full disclosure.

Wong: That’s fine. For this, we will be relying more on your Vulcan background, Ychol. Anyways, Solak, did you want to explain this one or should I?

Solak: I seek your counsel on a most private subject.   I believe that I may be experiencing a months earlier than expected onset of Pon Farr.  I must return to Vulcan immediately, however the time necessary for the journey introduces a logistical challenge.  I am opposed to Lieutenant Wong’s experimental new treatment for our biological cycle.  Pon Farr is not a medical condition.  It is a culturally significant moment in a Vulcan’s life.

Ychol: ::Raised eyebrow:: A thought-provoking situation. ::To Wong:: Please elaborate on this ‘new treatment’, if you would, Lieutenant. ::To Solak:: It will be advantageous if I am fully aware of the situation and available options, even ones you find unsatisfactory.

A logical assessment from his fellow Vulcan.  Wong first described the treatment, as requested by the counsellor.

Wong: Right. So it’s just a treatment option for the seven year event. Not everyone can make it back to Vulcan in time or there are some who really struggle with this in general. I’ve seen some of my Vulcan friends back at the Academy having a tough time with it. So I wanted to help. I made the discovery that the Quin’lat Nightbloom, also known as Kahless’s Tears from Qo’nos contains a compound that in simulations, has proven effective as a possible treatment. I realize that the seven year event has a cultural significance. This isn’t designed to interfere with cultural practices. It’s just an option out there for those that want it.

Once Wong had provided information for Ychol as per his request, Solak followed suit.

Solak: My situation is, logically given the nature of the condition, personal.  But I will give you enough detail to make analyses.  In my childhood I was mated to another Vulcan, but she refused me during our Koon-ut-kal-if-fee.  Since then, I have returned to Vulcan once every cycle to satisfy my blood fever in a way that I will not disclose.

Nor would he disclose that he had an arrangement to participate in other’s Koon-ut-kal-if-fee ceremonies, and act as selected champion (despite having never met the female who would claim kal-if-fee), to satisfy his blood fever.  Sometimes he won, and sometimes he lost within a centimetre of his life.  While considered culturally unethical, and the arrangements always being made in secret, it was a “win-win” arrangement.  It would satiate his blood fever, and allow the female to choose her own intended long-term mate.

Ychol: Thank you for the explanation. As you are no doubt aware, many Vulcans will find this non-traditional approach objectionable for similar reasons to Lieutenant Solak’s. However, I would agree that there is logic in providing unconventional options to those who find them acceptable. If you would be open to discussing it further with me at a later date, I would appreciate the opportunity to learn more.

Wong: I’d certainly appreciate that, Ychol. But I’m also aware that, from what Solak has spoken about with me recently, that there’s going to be push back if this ever got out. And well…. It’s going to eventually get out and probably NOT going to be pretty at least initially.

Solak: I concur that it will.  Many Vulcans will object for the reasons I have outlined earlier to Lieutenant Wong.  Pon Farr is not merely a clinical issue.  I have also assured Lieutenant Wong that I will not be the one to disclose the details of Lieutenant Wong’s experimental research to anyone.

Ychol: Solak is, however, correct in asserting that Pon Farr is more than a purely-clinical matter for most Vulcans. It is an important part of our reproductive cycle and holds great cultural significance. His decision to experience it must be respected.

Wong: And I’m absolutely respecting it. It’s his choice on how he wants to manage it.

Solak: That is appreciated.

Ychol: ::Eyebrow raised:: Lieutenant Solak, how have you managed your Pon Farr symptoms previously? Have you always been able to return to Vulcan on your seven year cycle?

Solak: Affirmative.  I take planned leave from Starfleet to give myself plenty of opportunity to return to Vulcan, and deal with the symptoms.  I sometimes do experience mild symptoms in the months before, and previously I have managed through meditation.  This is the first time that my blood-fever has occurred earlier than expected.

Ychol: Response

Lieutenant Wong telegraphed his internal analysis by drumming his fingers on his chin.

Wong: Well…. I think I have an idea. Just hear me out.

Solak: ::Raised eyebrow:: I am already listening to you, Lieutenant.  To where would you be travelling “out”?

Ychol: Response

Wong: Well, we might not be able to get you back to Vulcan in time for this, but what if we brought Vulcan to you instead? For instance, we might be able to convert the holodeck in the Bashir Wing to a version of Vulcan for this. We might be able to do other things here to make you as comfortable as possible while you’re going through the seven year event.

((Flashback – Solak Apartment, Habitat Ring, Amity Outpost - Five months earlier))

Operation Watson meant that messages could be sent and received from the Alpha quadrant, albeit on delay.  Solak had returned to his apartment after a productive day in Stellar Cartography.  On the console in his quarters was a private encrypted transmission.

He knew who it was from and what it was about.  After applying his personal encryption code, the message became available to read:

To: “Skurin”
From: T’Rais
Skurin, I have been contacted by a female that has a scheduled Koon-ut-kal-if-fee ceremony later this year, but does not want the male that has been arranged for her.  It coincides with the timing as you originally requested.  With your permission, I will provide her with your details so that she may select you as champion when she claims kal-if-fee.

((End Flashback))

Solak: I appreciate the endeavour, Lieutenant Wong.  ::To Ychol:: I have a pre-existing arrangement for the resolution of my blood fever that I must honor.  That is in approximately three and a half months’ time.  I am certain I will be unable to use meditation techniques for that long.

Ychol: Response

Solak: It seems that I am in a state of perplexity, Counsellor.  Or, as humans have historically posited, “between a rock and a hard place.”  A curious phrase.

Ychol: Response

Solak: If the location was, for instance, a bed, then that would still be comfortable despite the closeness of the rock, and the other locality considered solid and compacted.

Ychol/Wong: Response

Solak: ::To Wong:: What are the benefits of your treatment?  What is its development status?  Can you provide more information as to suitability?

Suddenly Solak had to consider the unthinkable as “thinkable”.  While his means of satisfying his blood fever were unconventional and secretive, i.e. fighting in other’s Koon-ut-kal-if-fee ceremonies for females unsatisfied with their arranged males, as far as he knew there was nothing illegal about the practice.  He had made an agreement with “T'Rais" and intended to keep it.

Ychol/Wong: Response

Tags/TBC!

Lieutenant Solak
Stellar Cartographer