Lt Cmdr Wil Ukinix - People Are People

Wil Ukinix

Dec 4, 2022, 6:56:47 AM12/4/22
to Amity Outpost – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Mezzanine Level, Grand Mezzanine, Amity Outpost))

Hopper: Commander!  ::Waving enthusiastically::

The XO was walking and chatting with Lieutenant Flint towards a holodeck, to watch some Ashes cricket, when Wil heard someone say something to him.

Hopper: ::To Ukinix::  Hiya Wil!  ::A polite glance to Flint::  Lieutenant.  ::Back to Ukinix::  Sorry if I’m interrupting, I just hate passing a friendly face without saying ‘hi’.

Wil turned to look at the person.  A female with noticeable eyes and smile, wearing a lovely light blue and brown dress that had a pinkish coloured band across the midriff, that suited her.

(OOC: What Robin is wearing has been discussed with Robin’s writer!)

Ukinix: Oh… heeeey! Mate… how are you?

oO Civilian? Oo

While memories of his two selves were starting to come back, he still had lost months, and wasn’t sure if he’d ever get all of the memories back.  But what he didn’t realise that people he had obviously met in that time wouldn’t necessarily be recallable to him.

Like right at that moment.

Hopper: ::Chuckling::  Keeping myself busy. I’m running around, shopping for the new apartment. Seems like everyone’s out and about today, though. It’s good to run into you!

Ukinix: Yeah, it’s good to see you too.

And she did seem lovely, whoever she was… which he needed to find out, one way or another.

When David cleared his throat, Wil sensed his awkwardness.  But he couldn’t just break off the conversation just yet.

Ukinix: Oh, and have you met Lieutenant Flint before?

Hopper: No, we haven’t yet had the pleasure. ::Holding out a hand::  Nice to meet you, Lieutenant…?

Flint: ::Accepting the hand, stiffly::  Flint. David Flint.

Hopper: ::Shaking gently::  Hopper. Robin Hopper. Chief Science Officer.

Ukinix: Ohhh, ::smiling:: you’re chief of science!  Right.  I’m ::hand on chest, slight blush:: so sorry, after the re-merger, you know… I’ve been having a few “awkies” moments.  But it’s nice to put a face to the name, Lieutenant, and I’m hopeful memories will come back.

Hopper: Oh…

Right there, at that moment, he sensed it, a slight pang of disappointment from Lieutenant Hopper.  oO Double Awkies. Oo  He gave her a playful smile-grimace to make light of the awkward situation.

Hopper: That’s alright… Well, hey, I was just talking with Rivi – we’re planning on getting together for a workout soon and talking about some community initiatives for the station!

Ukinix: Oh?

Hopper: You should join us! It’d be a great opportunity to  ::slightly hurt::  jog your memory.

Ukinix: ::Raised palm:: I am genuinely sorry about my amnesia, Lieutenant.  ::Big smile:: But I’d love to join.  I’m into fitness, sounds like fun.

Hopper: Besides, I’d love to get your input on a few ideas I have for the station. We haven’t had a chance to catch up since Idrustix. I understand your hands have been full… What do you say?

Lieutenant Hopper’s lovely eyes were big, and hard to resist to say “no” to even if he wanted to.  Thankfully he didn’t want to say no - oO Starfleet officer, Starfleet officer, Starfleet officer. Oo.

He wondered what the ideas were… oO and are they wacky? Oo

Ukinix: ::Warm smile:: Love to.

Hopper: Great! We’ll see you there!  ::To Flint::  It was nice meeting you!

As she walked away, a bounce in her step once more, Flint turned to the Commander and spoke quietly.

Flint: She’s… Peppy.

Ukinix: ::Watching as Robin walked away:: She certainly is.  ::Turning back to David, rubbing hands together::  Right then, holodeck 2, let’s go.

((Later - “The Gabba, Brisbane, Australia” - Holodeck 2, Level 5, Copernicus Center))

Ukinix: Catch it!

Wil wasn’t the only one to say that, many of the home crowd (even though there was a sizable English presence thanks to transporter technology) shouted in in hopeful unison.  The ball sailed in the air, as one of the Australian fielders ran in the direction of the ball, keeping their eye on it.  As it began to fall, the fielder lunged forward, stretching his arms out to reach it.  With a final dive, he fell to the ground mid-air, and caught the ball in his hands, before sliding along the grass.

A cheer rang out across the ground as the Australian team ran over to their team mate to celebrate. Wil stood up to applaud his team. The batter on the pitch looked down at the ground in disappointment, before tucking his bat under his arm, and beginning his walk back to the “pavilion” at the edge of the ground.

Ukinix: Make that seven for!

Flint: Well, you know, we’ve got to give you a fighting chance, haven’t we?

Wil patted David on the shoulder with a smile, before taking a seat next to him.  It would be a few minutes before the new batter came out and play resumed, which gave Wil a chance to talk to David. He also enjoyed conversation while watching the sport, and decided to get things rolling.

Ukinix: Ah, this pitch suits the bowlers apparently, so anything could happen, I won’t get confident yet.  ::Taking sip of beer:: So can I ask you, how are you finding Amity?  It’s been a few months now, right?

Wil sensed that David felt uncomfortable at the attempt at social interaction.  That instructed him that he should tread carefully – but that didn’t mean he would stop the line of inquiry all together.

Actually, Sir, it’s been nearly a year. I slipped aboard quietly, shortly after the bulk of the crew hitched a lift on the Thor.

Wil nodded and sipped his beer, as a voice came over the stadium’s PA introducing the newest English batter as he walked out to the centre, a noticeably tall and stocky person who was much better known for his bowling than his batting.  The crowd gave polite applause as he entered.  With his free hand, Wil slapped his thigh gently as he spoke to David.

Ukinix: And how are you finding things mate.

Flint: Things are pretty quiet for a secondary Helm Officer aboard a space station. Most of my earlier shifts were focused on shuttle certifications for crewmembers who’d nearly lapsed. I didn’t mind ‘flying under the radar’ as it were.

Ukinix: ::Nodding, looking out to pitch:: Yeah that’s fair enough.  And look, every Starfleet officer has an important role to play on this outpost.  The certifications process is necessary for Starfleet and greatly appreciated.

Wil took another sip of his beer, as the batter stood in front of the wickets at one end and settled himself, looking around at the opposing team’s fielder positions.

Flint: Speaking of which, Commander – I believe you’ll be due for a recert, soon enough. I’ll be expecting to see you in the shuttlebay… I should warn you, you’ve earned a bit of a reputation.

((Flashback – Shuttlebay, Amity Outpost – Stardate 239904.28, 0607 hours))

The doors to the shuttle raised shut to a close.  Wil rubbed his hands together, excited at the prospect of piloting the shuttle.  Not known for his helm prowess, he had been secretly practising in the holodeck.  He (in his mind at least) had seen some improvement…

Ops: =/\= Daintree, you are authorized for departure.  Safe journey, Commander. =/\=

He blew on the tops of his fingers, then placed his hands on the helm controls.  The engines began to whir, the shuttle lifted and then floated towards one of the large exits.  Well, sort of.  It was more towards the wall *next* to the exit.

Wong: Are you sure everything is good, Commander?

Kivik: ::Sweating a little:: Is there uhh… something wrong with the controls, sir?

Wil sensed concern in Tri’lea, but ignored it.

Ukinix: Nah, nah, all good.

The shuttle banked furiously right to align itself with the opening.  It accelerated forward to leave the bay with *plenty* of metres to spare on the port side.

…and only 1.5 metres on the starboard side.

Ukinix: See?  ::Small swallow::  No wukkas.

Tri’lea: Well, how *thrilling*. ::Smirking:: If we weren’t awake before, I’m sure we all are now!

((End Flashback))

Without looking at David, Wil took a nervous sip of his beer before a mischievous smile crept into his face.

Ukinix: I – well I’ve been practicing, I’ve got better.  Honestly.  But if I have to do a recert... ::speaking  into his beer:: then I have to do one.

Flint: Let’s just say Ops will be on stand-by with their touch-up paints.  ::Smirk, moment of quiet reflection::  To answer your first question, Sir… That is, to give you a proper answer, I’m finding Amity to be a rather complicated environment…

Ukinix: How so?

Flint: For the most part, the Diplomatic Corps and Starfleet personnel I’ve encountered have been fairly accepting… But there’s no escaping the fact that the Delta Quadrant has seen more terror at the hands of the Borg than anyone in Federation territory. Needless to say, I find myself a bit of a pariah… at times, Sir.

Wil pursed his lips, unimpressed at that report.

Ukinix: ::Earnest tone:: David, I’m so sorry that that’s the case.  That’s not acceptable.  I’m going to have to do something about that.  This is the twenty-fourth century.

Flint: Response

Ukinix: We’ve just had a Cardassian deputy chief of mission start with us.  No-one’s blinked an eyelid.  There’s no reason for you to be a pariah.  Quite frankly, I’m upset to hear you’re being treated that way.

Wil took a sip of his beer, as the Australian bowler ran in to deliver the ball to the new English batter.

Ukinix: Is there any name you can give me?  Anyone that’s given you the worst treatment?

Flint: Response

The batter swung his bat at the ball, which completely missed – but had it connected, it would have surely flown through the air a long way.  The crowd gave out an amused “oooh”.

But Wil didn’t join in.  Instead, he continued the conversation.

Ukinix: Regardless, I’m glad you brought this to my attention. Rest assured, I will work to make sure this happens no longer.  You’re a valued member of this crew, Lieutenant.

Flint: Response

The bowler bowled the next ball, and the batter swung at it again with just as much gusto as the last ball.  This time he connected.  The sound of willow on leather “cracked” around the ground, as the ball flew through the air, over the boundary, for six runs.

Flint: Response

Wil quietly applauded.

Ukinix: ::Chuckling:: That’s one hell of a shot.  Looks like he’s in an “all or nothing” mood.

Flint: Response

Ukinix: ::Lifting drink:: Here’s cheers, David.  Let’s hope the match stays this entertaining.

Flint: Response

Tags/End scene for Wil!

Lieutenant Commander Wil Ukinix
Starfleet attaché and First Officer