Lt Cmdr Wil Ukinix (H) - The Heat Is On

Wil Ukinix

Aug 14, 2022, 6:24:16 AM8/14/22
to Amity Outpost – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Bench, Main Street, Merchant District))

Wong: I suppose one of my failings is that I hadn’t taken to really understanding Betazoids on more than just an anatomical and physiological level.  If I had, I don’t think I would have lost Acradem out of the gate so badly. That much I’ve very much at fault in.

Wil momentarily did a closed mouth grimace to himself upon hearing “Acradem”.  He still found it weird.

Ukinix(H): You didn’t fail.  How many different species do you have to look after on this outpost?  You can’t be a Nostradamus and know what’s going to happen with every patient.

Wong: No. But I try to anticipate needs as best as I can. I always want to do right by my patients and ensure they get the best care out here.

Ukinix(H): I’m sure you’ll sort it out.  You’re a good CMO, Ikaia, don’t ever forget that.

Wong smiled a little in return.

Wong: Thanks, Wil.

Wil leaned back on the bench.  There was one more thing to discuss.

Ukinix(H): There is something.  We need to talk about what happened on the Mezzanine the other day with Crewman Barberra.

Wong: I take it you’ve already read my report on the situation?

Wil nodded, again with a closed mouth grimace, to indicate he had read it.  Every single last detail.

Ukinix(H): Did you *really* have to use a medical shotgun? ::Shiver:: So archaic.

Wong: Believe it or not, I really didn’t want to. Truthfully, I hesitated for as long as I could.

Wil looked down at the ground.  Despite his personal misgivings about the use of the shotgun, he nodded.

Ukinix(H): Alrighty.

There was a sigh from the CMO before he continued.

Wong: Procedure is clear in how the medical shotgun is to be used. Unlike in the 2380s when the rules used to be a lot more lax about it. I exhausted every option I could before using it which is why I hesitated. Instead, it ultimately got poor Miss Polgonz caught up in the situation.

After making his own enquiries to ensure that Polgonz was in no danger, and to confirm that Crewman Barberra hadn’t been violent at any point during her episode, he had giggled a little at the thought of Annamae attempting a mind meld.  *Especially* with his good friend, HRH Tri’lea.

Ukinix(H): Yeah, I get it.

Wong: It’s hesitation like that that makes me question if I had done the right thing or could I have done better. It’s things like this that make me seriously question if I could ever do the bridge officer’s exam successfully if I ever attempted it. I’m not sure that I can.

Ukinix(H): To be honest, I’m glad you hesitated.  That means you knew the seriousness of the situation and considered all alternatives before taking what you thought was the only course of action.  I think you’re being too hard on yourself if you call that “hesitation”.  If you fire from the hip on a Starship bridge without thinking, that could lead to serious consequences.  Not only for you, but for everyone involved.

Wong: Response

Ukinix: The way the report reads, it was within boundaries to use the medical shotgun.  But I would question future use of it in a public place, which the Mezzanine is.  I wasn’t there, I trust your judgement, Lieutenant.  But Barberra wasn’t herself.  She *is* weird, granted, but she was under the influence of a very serious condition and wasn’t being violent.  Use of force should always be the last option.  Especially on a bridge.

Wong: Response

Ukinix: The only thing that is glaring in the report was the use of an experimental medical treatment that hasn’t gone through clinical trials, peer review, etcetera.  Once Starfleet HQ sees that, they may want to perform an ethics review.

Wong: Response

Ukinix: I wouldn’t worry, again your actions in the heat of the moment made sense.  I think it would be a broad review in general.

Wong: Response

Ukinix: Compare that to the treatment you came up with in the anomaly.  That was put together quickly, the situation called for it.  Operationally, that made sense.  We were all guinea pigs, and had to be if we wanted to survive.  In fact, you were given an order to do it.

Wong: Response

Ukinix: Well, I’ve gotta head to Copernicus to review a whole bunch of other reports and check on the Indy’s repair progress. ::Smiling:: Thanks for the hot chocolate, Ikaia.  My shout next time.

Wong: Response

Ukinix: ::Smiling:: Seeya, Lieutenant.

And with that, Wil made his way to Sarek station to catch the next train to Mezzanine.

[End Scene for Wil!]

Lieutenant Commander Wil Ukinix
Starfleet attaché and First Officer
Amity Outpost