EMH Mark VII - Tonsils

Wil Ukinix

Jun 21, 2023, 4:29:57 AM6/21/23
to Amity Outpost – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Sickbay - USS Independence-B))

The EMH had been ordered activated by the ship’s acting CO, Commander Ukinix, once they had crossed over to the parallel universe.  The only patient in that first half an hour or so was the ship itself, there were no reports of injuries or sickness amongst the crew.

While other versions of the EMH were interested in different types of arts (the original Voyager EMH was into classical music for example), this EMH somehow found himself strangely drawn to comics.  One in comic series particular, “T’Senara”, was hard to put down.  With everything ready in the first 10 minutes after their arrival in the parallel reality, the good doctor had put his feet up on the desk in his office, with a holographic coffee that provided the hologram no nutritional positives or negatives whatsoever, and quietly read how the fictional Vulcan doctor-turned-superhero T’Senara single handedly brought down a Borg Cube with nothing but a hypospray and a phaser rifle.

oO Mmmhmm T’Senara, I’m booking in to your clinic, you logical beauty you… Oo

And just when he was getting to the end of the comic book story, the ship had rocked from phaser fire.  Within a minute, injured crew had been either brought in or beamed to the sickbay area of the Defiant class ship – meaning he’d put the PADD down, made his holographic coffee vanish, and immediately started triaging and attending to those that needed treatment.

It wasn’t long before two medical officers, including Amity’s CMO, had joined him.

Wong: ::From over his shoulders:: Doctor Fog, how are you holding up?

The EMH looked over his shoulder to see that Wong was running a dermal regenerator over a patient.  After a brief gaze at the new Bolian medical officer, the EMH turned his attention back to the patient he was running his medical tricorder over.

Fog: Response

The holographic doctor spoke to his patient in his normal, relaxed, dulcet baritone voice.

EMH: ::To Patient:: Good. Now hold still, while I check your elbow.

Wong: And what about you, Doctor Mark? How’s the patient?

EMH: ::Looking at tricorder:: A badly bruised rib, a lightly bruised elbow, and a slowly receding hairline.  But otherwise… fine.

The patient, an Engineering crewman, opened his eyes in shock for a small moment but said nothing… (right before he lifted his uninjured arm to feel the skin just below their hairline).

The Doctor looked over his shoulder at the blonde Klingon.

EMH: And don’t call me Mark.

Fog: Response

The EMH turned back and pointed a device at the crewman’s ribs.

EMH: ::To Patient:: Just lift your arm for me.  We’ll have you back on duty in no time… after some time.

Wong: ::To patient:: Alright. You’re going to be fine. Everything’s been patched up. Just please be careful with your leg for the next few days, okay?

The EMH was joined by Wong, near Ensign Fog.

Wong: And what do we have going on here?

Fog: Response

EMH: ::To patient:: Just cough for me.

After a puzzled look, the crewman coughed as instructed.  The EMH gently lifted a metallic depressor towards the crewman’s mouth, then slowly and gently pushed down on the crewman’s tongue.

EMH: Say “aaah”.

Crewman: ::Puzzled look, furrowed eyebrows:: Aaaaaaaaah…

Fog/Wong: Response

EMH: Good news.  Your tonsils are good.  In fact, you hold your “aah” note quite well.  Have you ever considered opera singing?

Fog/Wong: Response

EMH: ::To Crewman:: Crewman, you’re cleared for return to duty.  I suggest you practice your scales.  ::Turning to Fog and Wong:: The only things left to treat are bumps and scratches.

The EMH gave Wong and Fog his undivided attention as the crewman, with a slightly puzzled expression, made his way out of sickbay.

Fog/Wong: Response

Carter: =/\= Hopper, Wong, Fog, Reade, Esma, come with me. =/\=

Wong/Fog: =/\= Response =/\=

EMH: Well, it looks like you’ve been summoned.  But I need a favour from you.

The EMH walked a few paces to enter the nearby office, before returning with the PADD that contained the “T’Senara” comic.

EMH: ::Handing PADD to Wong:: Could you give this comic PADD to Lieutenant Hopper?  Tell her… if things get quiet, it will help her take her mind off things.  Doctor’s orders.

Fog/Wong: Response

As the Klingon and the Briori medical officers left, the EMH made his way to one of the last patients who had a small cut above their eyebrow.  He grabbed a nearby dermal regenerator as he made his way over to the Bajoran woman.

EMH: Let me guess… secret Deck 4 boxing tournament accident?

Tags/End Scene for EMH Mark VII!

EMH Mark VII
Medical Officer
USS Independence-B (on loan from USS Kitty Hawk)
V239511WU0