Lt. Robin Hopper: Dream World

Lt. JG Kivik

Aug 18, 2022, 11:12:48 AM8/18/22
to Amity Outpost

((Amity Outpost – Security Section, Office of the Chief of Security))

Iovianus: What is your scientific specialty?

Robin smiled – in no small part due to the fact that Iovianus had accepted that she was not, in fact, a hardened criminal (as she had jokingly implicated), and moved on.

Hopper: I hold a PhD. in Physics, which I earned at Starfleet Academy – and I minored in Programming, which is more of a personal interest of mine. But, you know, like most SO’s I dabble in a little bit of everything.

Iovianus: Have you found your apartment yet? What about your medical check up?

Hopper: Actually, I just came from my check-up with Lieutenant Wong. He and I go way back – we actually met during our time as cadets in San Fran– ::Stopping herself from getting off topic:: …That can be a story for another time. I’m fit for duty. I’ve got a room booked at the Talaxi Palms hotel until my quarters are settled. Currently, I’m leaning towards the Beijing District.

Iovianus: Interesting. That is where our Chief of Mission resides.

Robin nodded. She had decided fairly quickly that living in the San Francisco district would be too similar to her time on Earth, the Laibok district too cold, and the ShiKahr district too hot. When the Ambassador had said she’d picked Beijing, Hopper had figured that if it was good enough for Rivi Vataix, it was certainly good enough for her.

Without a direct question to answer, Robin returned to her personal mission of trying to ‘draw out’ Iovianus with a little more of her own personal history. She couldn’t shake the feeling that Iovianus had a depth – maybe even warmth – under his cold hard exterior and she was determined to bring it out of him, if such a thing was possible.

Hopper: Well, as I sort of mentioned, I finished my studies in San Francisco at the Academy. Before that I completed my undergrad at UC Berkeley – that was my first time on Earth, actually. I grew up on Theta VII, near the edge of the Beta Quadrant. Old frontier colony world… not too far from Magna Roma, actually.

The Chief of Security nodded his head still sitting upright in his chair behind the desk.

Iovianus: Almost a colony of the Empire at one point long ago. How is the world doing?

oO Really?!  I didn’t know that…  Mr. Iovianus, you are going to owe me so many stories! Oo

Hopper: It’s a small place still, though we’ve come a long way since the twenty-two-hundreds. Mostly agricultural, though there are some legacy mining operations still going on. My parents opted to settle down there and bought a farm. Needless to say, I didn’t travel much as a kid.

Iovianus: There can be benefits to that though.

Hopper: Oh, I wouldn’t change a thing.  ::Smiling::  And it certainly hasn’t held me back.

Iovianus: What brings you to the Beijing district in your thoughts?

Hopper: Well, for starters, I’ve never been to Beijing!  ::Considering::  Then again, full disclosure, I haven’t been to most of those places. But I wanted to pick another Earth district. Before they settled down on Theta VII, one of my moms worked with the Diplomatic Corps on Velestus. But she’d talk about her home on Earth and how beautiful it was all the time..  ::Smiling::  ..and, well, Palais Bourbon just sounded a little ‘stuffy’ to me.

Iovianus: Personally I have a preference for the Rixx district. It tends toward the peaceful and quiet at most times.

Robin imagined Iovianus sitting under an olive tree in a quiet garden drinking a sherry and reading a book. A small smile creeping across his typically-stern face as he finally felt the serenity of a cozy home.  oO So! That’s what it is. You’re a homebody. Oo

Hopper: I can see the appeal – especially after a day working Security on a station this size. I imagine it’s a lot to manage, and I’ve barely seen any of it yet.

Iovianus: Have you had a chance to see The Basement yet?

Hopper: ::Slightly cocked head::  The ‘Basement’?

Iovianus: Response

Hopper: Oooohhh…  ::Chuckling::  Well, I guess I’m really outing myself as a newcomer. No, I haven’t been yet. I think I have a meeting arranged for later today with Lieutenant, uhhh..  ::wracking her brain::  ..Kivik? I think that’s right. They’re going to show me around a bit.

Iovianus: Response

Hopper: Besides, I’m pretty sure most of it would be off limits to me at this point – but that’s why I’m here! Hopefully I pass the security screening.

Iovianus: Response

Hopper: Is there anything else you’d like to ask me about, Sir? Am I cleared?

Iovianus: Response

TBC

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)