Lt. Robin Hopper: As Good As New

Robin Hopper

Aug 30, 2022, 10:55:32 PM8/30/22
to Amity Outpost

((Amity Outpost – Medical Center, Bashir Wing – Exam Room 4))

Robin hardly noticed as Wong folded up his tricorder and slid it into his lab coat pocket. Her mind was now on what sort of music she’d play at her inevitable housewarming party.

Wong: Sorry for the small interruption here. But how’s the leg these days? Anything I should know about?

Hopper: Hmm? Oh, this old thing?  ::Tapping the lightweight durable aluminum of her prosthetic leg – the sound slightly muffled by her uniform tights::  Nothing I’m not used to. It doesn’t like prolonged periods of extension… You know, like standing at attention or certain yoga poses… but that doesn’t trouble me too much.

Wong: It’s been a while since we’ve last seen each other. So you’re going to have to refresh me on how you’ve been taking care of it these days.

Hopper: I do my own routine maintenance on this thing, for the most part – but I do occasionally have to get it serviced. I guess I’ll need to find a new person for that out here.  ::Shrugging, a slight chuckle::  Or I’ll need to get a spare and ship it off for repairs.

Robin held in her giggles as she watched Ikaia processing that thought. The poor Klingon had always been a little gullible – but it’s part of what made him such a sweetheart.

Wong: Well I know a few people who might be able to help with repairs. We could even fit you with a new one if this one isn’t working for you….

Hopper: I’m kidding. You know how much of a hassle this thing is to remove? It’s not due for major service for a few years anyways. Meantime, I’ll stick to my regimen of occasional tweaks and plenty of dancing to keep it working smoothly.

That seemed to be a relief. She chuckled openly now. Her and Wong had never been as close as either of them had been with Alieth – but now she was beginning to wonder why that ever was. He was a hoot!

Wong: Well hey! Being as I’m into dance myself, I entirely approve of it. Dance is great for the heart and lungs. Same with muscle tone and strength!

Hopper: Hey – speaking of which, assuming my scans are all good, where’s a good place to go dancing around here?  ::Excited, wide-eyed::  Also, what are you up to tonight?! Do you want to get out and do something, for old time’s sake?

Wong: Oh sure! I know a good pizza place around here that I like going to. We can check that out.

Robin felt her stomach growl at the thought of pizza. The fact that she’d barely eaten thus far – except for several bottles of cola – probably didn’t help.

Hopper: ::Eyes wide::  Yeah! Count me in.  ::Hopping off the exam table::  What is this place?

Wong: It’s called Papa Rahm’s. They never replicate their ingredients. I think their slogan is “Always fresh. Never replicated.” Anyways, it’s the one place where I know we can eat for free.

Hopper: ::Crossing her arms:: Eat free? But it’s not replicated? What gives?

Wong: Ha well, I’m not 100% sure why I can eat there for free. But I’m not complaining about it.

Hopper: ::Holding up her hands and smiling::  Hey, me neither! I’m not about to look a gift horse in the mouth – especially not one that’s bringing me free pizza.

Wong: Aaaanyways, you’ve got a clean bill of health, Hops. You’re perfectly healthy and fit for duty. Now do you have any questions for me?

Robin was about to shake her head but a nagging thought caught her. She felt like in her excitement she’d forgotten something – something important.

Hopper: Oh!!! Wait, I completely forgot!

Wong: Response

Hopper: Papa Rahms sounds great – and I want to go dancing – but not tonight. I almost forgot. I ran into Rivi this morning. Um, Ambassador Vataix… ::Waving hands:: Ah, you know. Anyways, she invited me to dinner – at her place – and she said to invite you.

Wong: Response

Hopper: I can’t believe I almost forgot that. We can’t miss it. I already came  ::indicating something small::  this close to completely blowing my first impression with Rivi.  ::Looking a little embarrassed::  It’s not a long story, but it is dumb.

Wong

Hopper: Yeah, tonight. I have no idea who else will be there. I mean, I don’t really know anyone else.  ::Smiling::  So you’re my date tonight! Sound good?

Wong: Response

Hopper: Yes – the Vataix’s tonight, Rahm’s tomorrow.  ::Smiling::  Now, do I recall correctly that security is nearby? I have to get my clearance before heading to the SRC for my orientation and I’d rather just stay in the area if possible.

Wong: Response

Hopper: ::Patting the Klingon affectionately on the chest::  Thanks, Ikaia. It’s so great seeing you again. I feel lucky!

As she headed out of the room towards the Security Center, she turned around and pointed a finger at him playfully.

Hopper: Tonight, Beijing, dinner with the Ambassador!

Wong: Response?

END

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)