Lt. Robin Hopper: It’s All Greek To Me

Robin Hopper

Nov 8, 2022, 9:25:03 PM11/8/22
to Amity Outpost

((Amity Outpost - Copernicus Center, Level 14))

Robin took a seat across from Keehani, gladly accepting the offered tea and taking a sip as she listened. She smacked her lips silently and smiled as the warmth of the beverage spread through her.

Keehani: Anyway, it's great to get to know you.  What would you like to know about me?

The truth was, Keehani seemed like an exceptionally interesting person. On her weeks-long journey to Amity, Robin had had plenty of time to read the personnel files of key members of the staff and crew aboard the FDC-and-Starfleet Outpost. Despite being nearly four years her junior, Keehani Ukinix had already lived a storied and fascinating life – one which, if recent news was accurate, was only continuing to grow more intriguing.

Hopper: I must admit - I did read the article. The one by that local reporter. Is it true you'll be going back to Betazed shortly? I don't mean to pry - but it's like something out of a novel! You must be happy with how the news has been received?

Keehani cocked an eyebrow, before smiling.

Keehani: Wow.  Word really has traveled hasn't it.  Do you know someone on Betazed started a Fedcast series about all of this?  ::Shaking head:: Yes, I’m happy with general sentiment, but astonished at how much attention it's got.  ::Looking sideways, sigh:: I have a long path ahead of me…

Robin nodded, making a mental note to look into this ‘Fedcast’ … then considering that listening to a show about one of her co-workers’ personal lives might be strange… Ever since she had dated Egan Retel, the sensitive young Betazoid Ops Officer aboard the Wall Street who had introduced her to the ins-and-outs of Betazoid Noble gossip she had held a passing interest in those stories. She would need to be more considerate now that she was so close to so many of the people those stories were about…

She realized her mind had wandered somewhat and reconnected with Keehani. Fortunately, it seemed as though the Ambassadorial Aide had been in her own thoughts for the past moment and not sensing Robin’s.

Keehani: I'll be heading back to Betazed soon.  There's so much to do before I take leave though.  You know what it's like... that crazy period to get everything done, just so you can take a break.  I'll still be working on the QSD trip back to the Alpha Quadrant.

Hopper: ::Smiling, nodding::  Yes, I can understand what you mean. I suppose I’m having sort of the opposite experience now. A lot to take in since arriving here… Speaking of which, how is it you came to be First Secretary here so early in your career?  ::Clarifying::  Not that I don’t think you’re capable by any means. I just have some familiarity with the sometimes-slow bureaucracy… My mom was an FDC diplomat.

Keehani: Well, I graduated University last year, University of Betazed, Medara campus.  And I... ::slight smirk:: approached Ambassador Vataix and asked her for a job.  ::Shrug, pleased smile:: And here I am.

Hopper: That’s incredible.  ::Sipping her tea::  Between that and what’s happening with your appeal, I can see why someone would make a Fedcast about all this.  ::Setting the tea down::  But I didn’t come here to grill you or anything! I’m happy to answer any questions you might have about me as well.

She wondered what would happen if Keehani’s bid to restore the Ninth House of Betazed’s independence from its other governing Houses was successful. Would she continue to work on Amity, or would her time be to valuable back on Betazed?  oO Questions for another time, Robin… Oo

Keehani: So, c'mon. ::Smiling::  Tell me about you.  The interesting stuff I mean, tell me one thing about you that would surprise me.

Hopper: Uhhh… Hmm…

Robin had always considered herself very ordinary. Painfully ordinary. Her deep-seated desire to escape that normalcy was a large part of what motivated her in life. She had always been fascinated by exceptional people, and the thought of attaining that – even a sliver of it – was what had driven her to pursue her PhD, to apply to Starfleet, to request a transfer to the Delta Quadrant…

Hopper: I’m fluent in both High and Low Centauran. My other mom is from Velestus. She taught my sister and I to speak the language – but, to be honest..  ::chuckling::  ..we mostly used it to fight in public.

Keehani: Response

Hopper: ::In Centauran::  Ekko kousei ti Palla Velestos paravotan tin elliki a'tos protos Humanei exrenitii…  ::Smiling::  That’s Low Centauran – the UT doesn’t translate it as it’s no longer really in use. I said, umm, “I have heard that Low Centauran was mistaken for Greek by early human explorers…”

Robin had thought that was crazy when she had first heard it – but she had later learned that there were, in fact, worlds peopled by folk who had evolved in tandem with various ancient Earth cultures – or based their way of life on terran traditions… When the first humans had found Velestus among the stars, perhaps it wasn’t so crazy to believe they spoke ‘Greek’ after all.

Keehani: Response

Hopper: It’s not a very useful skill, but nobody expects it, either. They say Centaurans are ‘the most invisible people in the Federation’.

Keehani: Response

TBC

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)