[Backsim] JP – Lt Cmdr Wil Ukinix & Tri’lea Polgonz: Closer

Lt. JG Kivik

Jun 1, 2022, 9:28:37 PM6/1/22
to Amity Outpost

((OOC – This JP picks up right at the end of the Idrustix Colony expedition sims during the last shore leave, with the most recent sim being “Righteous Fury”))

((Daintree Crew Lounge))

Tri’lea stood, rigid with indignation and righteous fury, at the thought of spending one more minute trapped on this tiny ship with Wil Uknix. She carried her glass of wine with her – in fact, an empty glass now – and set it down in the replicator. She needed to leave.

Polgonz: Recycle.

Without another word, she turned face and stormed out of the room, down the hall, to her quarters. Wil watched as Tri’Lea stormed out.

((Crew Quarters 1))

As the door slid shut behind her, she leaned back against it, holding her hand against her head as if that would help to muffle her overwhelming thoughts… It did not. She could still hear his muffled voice through the door.

((Daintree Crew Lounge))

The XO turned his head over his shoulder to hear the door to her room slide shut behind her.

Ukinix: =/\= Um – Just keep us posted.  And hurry. I mean, don’t rush the treatment too much, we want to get it right.  But also, quick sticks.  But not too much.  But don’t hang around either, some haste is good.  Ukinix out. =/\=

With that, Wil put his hands on the table, and sat back in his chair staring at one of his thumbs, allowing himself to process what had just happened.  Had they both been on the verge of doing something they would have both regretted?  And was it going to be like that until they were finally cleared to leave the Daintree?  Or did the exchange with the very well-intentioned Ikaia and Kivik burst that bubble?

((Crew Quarters 1))

Tri’lea: oO Ugh! Oo

She pushed herself away from the door and stepped lightly across the room – as if she might mask her presence there – and then threw herself onto the bed with a frustrated sigh. She pulled herself up to a sitting position, her back against the wall, tucking her feet up and crossing her arms.

((Daintree Crew Lounge))

Confusion reigned internally for the bearded mostly human man with deep blue eyes.  That confusion probably drove him to do the weird thing he did next.

Which was to get up, slowly walk to Tri’lea’s closed door, and then *knock* on it with a single knuckle like they were still in the twenty-first century.

After a few seconds of silence, he finally spoke with a raised voice so that it could hopefully be heard on the other side of the door by the occupant...

((Crew Quarters 1))

Tri’lea’s mind reeled. Why did things have to be so complicated? She had always been led to believe that arranged marriages made things simpler. Instead, hers had been nothing short of… tumultuous. It was hard to feel committed to something that was so uncertain, so fragile – especially given the last time she and k’Ariadust had spoken. Ceciri had been quite upset, and rightly so, at Tri’lea’s meddling.

A knock came at the door – a light rapping knock – followed by a moment’s pause. She could scarcely believe that he would have the gall to come there, now, after what had just happened – no almost happened. Or had it?

Ukinix: Well at least they broke the sexual tension, right?

She scoffed… but knew he was right. There was tension. She had sensed it the moment they’d first met in the Outpost’s Terminal – and she had stoked it. First, she had told herself it was purely a bit of fun. Teasing the poor befuddled Starfleet Commander. Then, she had told herself it was a tactic – helping to get him on her side and be less of a thorn. Now… What excuse did she have now?

It wasn’t their symbiotic guests. It was her pushing back against the constraints of her mother’s rigid will. She wanted to make her own decisions – even if some of them were mistakes. Repercussions be damned… Tri’lea was a Daughter Ascendant of the Twentieth House of Betazed and she was free.

Polgonz: Enter.

The door slid open.  Wil crossed his arms awkwardly and stood at the door, just looking at Tri’lea who was almost in the fetal position on her bed, sitting against the wall.  The most prominent thing he could see was a set of black eyes looking at him.  He fought the urge to run over and wrap his arms around her.

After a long shared silence, eventually Wil took a few steps inside of her room, and then leaned against the wall.  He couldn’t keep his eyes off of Lea.  He felt his heart begin to race.  He felt his emotions begin to race.  And he could sense her emotions.  For the first time in his life, it felt as if he were *communicating* with someone by feelings alone, as if they were dancing in perfect harmony, knowing exactly what they were saying to each other.  It made him open his mouth, and let out a telling breath, before he shut his eyes.  That made things worse. In the darkness his emotions were “louder”, almost engulfing his rational thought.  He’d never sensed someone so intensely in that way before.  It was a combination of lust and passion, a pot of water that threatened to boil over at any moment.

Tri’lea looked back. The connection between her and Wil had begun to form on the planet’s surface, evidently a result of the sentient bacteria that lived there. But since then it had grown and developed on its own. It was if the floodgates had been opened and now could not be closed. She sensed his feelings – his excitement, his passion, but also his hesitation, his doubt. In the silence, there was a palpable spark waiting for something to ignite it… but they both seemed frozen in place.

Wil opened his eyes again.  He felt like there was a common emotional understanding between them at that point.  All it would take was one step towards Tri’lea, and it would be a fait accompli.  “All over, red rover”.  But he didn’t move.  Instead he took a sharp breath, stopping himself to ensure he believed what he was about to say.  But eventually, his need to exhale took over.

Ukinix: ::Exhaling:: We can’t.  ::Looking down, shaking head::  We shouldn’t.

Polgonz: No. ::Disappointed:: You’re right.

Despite what she told herself – and her desire to be free from the confines of what her life ought to be… she couldn’t shake the distinct feeling that Wil would never be her lover. That he shouldn’t ever be. It felt exciting and forbidden – but thrill was beginning to slide into fear. This wasn’t her taking control. It was her losing control.

Ukinix: We’d both regret it.  We’ve been stuck in this shuttle, and… well, we all have needs.  But this is wrong.  You’re betrothed for a start, and it happens to be to a Starfleet officer I admire immensely.  That’s only the *first* two layers of wrong.

Polgonz: ::Tearing up:: I’m sorry, Wil. This is my fault… I’ve been a complete and utter fool.

She looked up at him with tears in her eyes, now comforted by their lingering connection. Having another Betazoid there, even one who struggled to embrace his empathic abilities, made her feel less alone.

Polgonz: Since I arrived on this station I have done little else but sabotage myself and the plans that my mother set in motion for me. I’ve felt angry, manipulated, and trapped – so I have tried to ruin everything in hopes of finding a way out… I’m so very sorry. I’ve treated you like a means to an end and that is extraordinarily wrong of me.

Ukinix: ::smile:: You’re a good person, Tri’lea.

His smile disappeared as he looked at Tril’lea sitting on the bed.  He fought his rising emotions and passionate thoughts once more.  A traditional Betazoid wedding was attended wearing no clothes at all.

Ukinix: ::Blushing, slightly scared expression:: Just don’t invite me to your wedding.

Polgonz: ::Laughing through her blubbering:: Oh, don’t you dare say that… ::Her laughter fading:: I’m not even sure, at this point, there will be a wedding. You’re not the only one I’ve been acting idiotic with. I owe Ensign Paarus an apology… Daughter Rivi as well… and I’m not sure I can repair the damage I’ve done between Ceciri and myself.

Tri’lea wiped away her tears on her sleeve and considered her situation. Things were certainly not going according to plan – and she had nobody to blame but herself. Ceciri k’Ariadust deserved better. She deserved a wife who was willing to put in the work and act with decency and respect. Clearly, Tri’lea needed time to come to grips with her own situation and decide properly who she was going to be moving forwards.

Polgonz: I think, perhaps, it would be best if I returned to Idrustix for a while… Put some distance between myself and this mess – focus on something that I have yet to fully muck up. Get to know our… co-colonists, as it were.

How right father had been to name the world after her mother. It was as if she had been personified in the planet so that she might continue meddling in Tri’lea’s affairs, controlling her destiny.

Ukinix: Okay.  If you think that’s best for you.

Polgonz: I think that space will do us good as well. I have a betrothal to try and salvage… and you have your ::chuckling:: red haired Trill woman.

Wil tilted his head slightly.  Tri’lea was Betazoid, he shouldn’t have been surprised, but he still was.  Unless…

Ukinix: Did Keehani blabber to you?

Polgonz: Oh please. I know all the smutty thoughts that go on in that little.. caveman brain of yours. Frankly, I can’t believe I even considered… ::Laughing:: I’m sorry, I’m projecting my own self-loathing at you. You’re a lovely man, Wil. And the fact that you could restrain yourself from this is, honestly, flabbergasting.

Tri’lea pointed to her own tear-streaked face and red puffy eyelids with an ironic smile. Instinctively, she reached out and took his hand in hers. She waited to see if he would pull away.

Wil placed his hand in Lea’s, and gave it a gentle squeeze.  He savoured the moment, knowing “things” weren’t going to go any further than that.

Ukinix: Well, we’ll see how things pan out with Kinan.  Besides… ::looking down::.. The best Starfleet captains haven’t had long term relationships.  Maybe I need to follow in their footsteps.  I dunno, maybe I’ll meet someone someday that will change my mind.

Polgonz: Whoever you choose should also count themselves as very lucky, Wil. You’re a good man. You aren’t a pushover or a sap, despite how much you truly care for those around you. You’re unlike a lot of the Betazoid men that I’ve met. ::A slight smile:: Maybe that’s why… Well, you know.

Wil chuckled ironically, before looking at the wall, smiling while he gathered his words and resisted the temptation one last time.  He looked back at their clasped hands, rubbed his thumb along the outside of her hand as a gesture of affection, then watched as their hands unclasped from each other.

Ukinix: If you’re trying to butter me up, it’s worked.  ::Pause, warm smile::  If you ever need anything, you have a friend that you can count on.  ::Slightly wicked smile:: But right now, if you’ll excuse me,  ::pointing over shoulder in direction of replicated moonshine::  I have a piece of Earth’s history to go get tipsy on.

As Wil left the room and the door slid shut behind him, Tri’lea felt her stomach turn. She couldn’t shake the feeling that, no matter how patently clear it was that any ‘involvement’ with him would only make things painfully more complicated, that she was suffering yet another loss. One could grieve a mother – but could one grieve a relationship that had never yet existed?

Polgonz: ::A bittersweet smile:: As usual, Idrustix… You win.

END

Lieutenant Commander Wil Ukinix

Starfleet attaché and First Officer

Amity Outpost