Aaris Idar: Buried

Robin Hopper

Dec 13, 2022, 6:37:04 PM12/13/22
to Amity Outpost

((Noble Administrative Center, Rixx, Betazed))

Aaris set a measured pace as they walked towards the Records Hall. While he had his reservations about the sudden changes to the Ninth House’s administration, these were hardly his primary concerns. The investigation into  the missing Project Blue prototypes had, for so many years, been a forgotten bygone conclusion. Reopening that wound would do no one any good.

Idar: Have you any experience with Betazed law, Lieutenant?

She shook her head. Idar had figured as much.

Iko: Not much. I did attempt to learn how it all worked during our journey down, but…

oO Good. Oo  He thought.   oO At least that buys me some time… Oo

Idar: I see. Our legal systems, while they align with the Federation’s wider governing principles, may still seem to some rather ‘traditional’. As such, you may find the documentation on this case rather tedious.

Iko: I'm sure it will be fine.

Aaris offered her the smallest hint of a smile as acknowledgement.

Idar: If I may make a suggestion, you would be wise to have someone experienced in such matters assist you in your review. I would be happy to set aside some time for this… If you would like.

Iko: That'd be good.

They reached the end of the hall and, turning to his left, Aaris indicated a set of curving stairs. As they marched down them to the Hall of Records, he clenched his jaw. The door opened before them, revealing a space which somewhat resembled a Library’s ‘reading room’ – though rather than old-fashioned books, it was filled with duplicate memory cores which could be accessed using a public reading terminal.

Idar: ::Gesturing towards the memory core depository::  Shall we begin?

Iko: We shall.

Aaris took a deep breath and turned, calmly walking towards the bank of memory cores. As he input a query code into the panel on the edge of the records bank, they slid along the ground – large rolling walls filled with data storage – opening up to the most relevant section and creating a corridor to access the files.

Idar: This way…  ::Leading Iko into the corridor and highlighting the files as he went::  These are the earliest records of the Ninth House’s investigation into the disappearance of the Project Blue prototypes – shortly before Astradem Ukinix’s defection to Earth…

He pressed a key beside the relevant records, and the thin lines that indicated each separate core illuminated.

Idar: ::Indicating another collection::  The investigation was halted - from a practicable standpoint - a number of years ago, when it became apparent that the prototypes would never be recovered…  ::Coming to a stop::  These most recent records are primarily procedural documentation of the current Administration’s attempts to revitalize the project under the direction of Dr. Jieri Saning. We’ve tried reaching her today, but she seems to be in-transit. So, if you wish to review the investigation files, I would recommend starting with the older files.

Nothing he’d said was a lie. In this he felt confident. However, he did wonder whether not his attempt to direct the Security Officer’s attention towards the older records would work. Where she began her review stood to make a grave difference in how the rest of Idar’s day – and perhaps life – would play out.

As Iko made her selections, Idar watched closely. She had pulled all the records. What order she intended to review them in was, then, the question – and how long she intended to keep at it.

Iko: Idar, would you mind going over the computer system and making sure I haven't missed anything?

Idar: Is there something in particular you’re looking to find?

Iko: Just in case.

He nodded, feeling his throat tighten ever so slightly. For now, his best tactic was still to go along with the review. If he came across as withholding, it would only serve to draw suspicion.

oO I should never have let that Ferengi talk me into this… Oo

Idar: Of course.

The two of them moved to the nearest research terminals, Iko taking one and Idar sitting opposite her – at a screen facing the opposite way. He chose this seat deliberately. As Iko began her review, scanning through the files to ensure she had all the records she would need, Idar began writing a communication to his “business partner”...

// Begin Message //

Recipient: Bog

Subject: Change of Terms

Things have changed. PB investigation reopened.

I NEED THE CORE BACK. For both our sakes, I hope you still have it.

Will contact again to work out the exchange. Too many eyes here.

Can’t say much yet. Stay vigilant.

// End Message //

As he pressed ‘Send’, and the window disappeared, Iko spoke. The sound of her voice startled him, and the typically stone-faced Clerk looked at her with astonishment for a moment, before collecting himself. In his distracted state, he neglected to delete the message record that would sit on his account.

Iko: Idar, ::pointing:: would you mind telling me what this is?

Idar: ::Clearing his throat::  Ahem. Let me take a look…

He stood and moved around the terminal, examining the screen that Iko was looking over. The record she had opened were the minutes of the meeting between the administration of 2390 and Dr. Saning to discuss the continuance of Project Blue. A meeting which had been scribed by Aaris himself. Of course, all this was clear – so what was Iko asking him about?

Idar: Forgive me, Lieutenant, what seems to be the matter?

Iko: Response

Yes, now he saw it. It was not the text itself that had drawn her attention – but the access record – a listing of every person who had examined this particular record and when. A list which, looking at it now, was rather conspicuous.

Access Record:

  • Iko, R: 239912.13

  • Idar, A: 239911.10 (record duplicated)

  • Idar, A: 239911.06

  • Idar, A: 239910.20

  • Idar, A: 239907.17

  • Idar, A: 239902.01

  • Idar, A: 239809.18

  • Saning, J: 239006.01

  • Idar, A: 239005.03 (record creation)

Idar: Hmm… As you can imagine, I am responsible for processing a great many records, Lieutenant. Let me think for a moment and see if I can recall what these ‘return visits’ were about…

He held a hand to his chin, staring at the screen. This file, unlike the others, had been accessed over-and-over-again over the course of the last year despite sitting ‘dormant’ since its creation nearly ten years ago – and all by Aaris himself. More conspicuous still was that only a month earlier, he had copied the file.

Thinking on his feet, Idar offered the most trivial and plausible explanation that he could.

Idar: Ah, yes. I remember. Last year, Dr. Saning asked me to review this record. There are a number of legal ‘restrictions’ regarding proprietary technology rights which were discussed during these meetings. As Dr. Saning’s team has grown closer to completion, adherence to these restrictions have become more relevant.

Iko: Response

Idar: Dr. Saning is a scientist, not an Administrative Clerk. Any time she required assistance with the legal requirements, she would ask me for assistance.

Iko: Response

Idar: I am not aware what Dr. Saning required the duplicate copy for. Perhaps for her private records, given the impending verdict from the Adjudicator.  ::Shrugging::  I’d prefer to refrain from speculating.

Iko: Response

Idar: As I mentioned, I’m afraid Dr. Saning is unavailable at the moment. However, she has been notified that we are looking to contact her. I’m sure as soon as she is able to speak with you, she would be happy to…  ::Feeling satisfied with his own explanation::  …Is there anything else, Lieutenant?

((OOC – We can leave off here, if you like, and assume that this is roughly when Keehani, Iko, Polgonz, Taival, and Idar return to the Ninth House Estate or continue backsimming. Up to you, Bec!))

((Site of former Ninth House Estate, Araraniax Village Outskirts, Arandel, Betazed))

As the others, led by Daughter Taival, rushed ahead to see what was the matter, Aaris hung back for a moment. He had donned a black coat made of thin Arandel Wool – perfectly designed to hold back the occasional chill breezes of the Northerly state. From his pocket, he fetched a personal communicator, checking to see if Bog had responded to his message.

Bog: // Response? //  ((OOC – Optional))

Having no time to send another message, Aaris sighed and put the device back within his inner coat pocket and trudged forward to see what the commotion was about…

Taival: What are you doing? Get out of there!

Richards: Response

Wong: Response

As he reached the top of the hill, Idar observed the trio of Starfleet Officers with some curiosity – particularly the Caitian. He had never met one of their kind in-person before. The novelty, however, quickly wore off when the man spoke, clearly feeling somewhat distraught.

S’Raga: Do you know what happened here?

Taival: This is a war grave and you're desecrating it.

Idar’s dark eyes moved from one speaker, then the other, growing slightly wider. On the one hand, he found it disturbing how quickly the new Matriarch Ascendant had begun disrupting her own House’s affairs (history repeating itself?) – but on the other hand, he was glad for the distraction from Project Blue, even if it was only temporary.

Richards: Response

Wong: Response

S’Raga: A war grave? This is how you treat someone who sacrificed their life defending their planet? Your Planet? You just leave them where they fell? Look at this!

That comment elicited a squint from Idar, though he held his tongue. After all, he was a Clerk – and not a Daughter of one of Betazed’s prominent Noble Houses, nor an Administrator of the Ninth House of Betazed’s estate… Daughter Taival was more than capable of addressing the Officer herself – though Idar couldn’t help but think that he too should have known to hold his tongue before speaking so aggressively.

S'Raga: Tudrun Sear was one of us! Not just as a Starfleet officer, but as a person! A person with dreams and a future. They had accomplishments and regrets. They were loved by someone. They were valued and important.

The Caitian seemed on the verge of tears. Idar stood silently, the cool breeze ruffling his hair as he watched the continuing outburst.

S'Raga: How can you blatantly ignore everything that this person was and cast them aside like scrap? How can you consider this dignified or respectful in any way? Do you think we can honestly say we won the Dominion War if we abandoned our moral integrity in the process?

With his bellows empty, the fire burning within the Caitian seemed to die down. Before storming away to sulk, he offered a quick parting remark.

S'Raga: I'll see myself out.

Keehani: Response

There was a brief pause. Everyone seemed either too stunned to speak – or else, were waiting for some sort of explanation.

Iko: If I may also please be excused?

Rather than waiting for an answer, Iko walked away – following her Caitian colleague. Aaris breathed a small sigh of relief, grateful for the Security Officer’s attention to be elsewhere.

Taival: Response

Polgonz: This is certainly most unconventional.

Idar: If I may expand on Daughter Taival’s explanation, Matriarch Ascendant, your Officer is clearly distraught over the way in which Lieutenant Sear’s body was left. However, I can assure you that this arrangement aligns with the wishes of his family.  ::Shaking his head::  Not all people honour their dead in the same way.

Polgonz: ::Unconvinced::  This is hardly a ‘common practice’ on Betazed, Mr. Idar.

Keehani/Taival: Response

Wong/Richards: Response

Idar: As a medical officer, Dr. Wong, I assume you are familiar with practices of ‘air burial’ – allowing the deceased to decompose naturally in their environments. Lieutenant Sear’s family belong to a particularly traditional sect of The Cult of Karawati… They believe in a greater ‘harmony with nature’. This is one of their practices which we were compelled to respect.

Keehani/Taival: Response

Wong/Richards: Response

Idar: ::Nodding towards Iko and S’Raga::  I believe it may help your Officer to learn that this body, and indeed this entire site, has been treated with the respect it is due – even if it may seem disturbing.

TBC

==

Aaris Idar (he/him)

Administrative Staff,