Lt Cmdr Wil Ukinix - Vampire Money

Wil Ukinix

Dec 5, 2022, 1:14:54 AM12/5/22
to Amity Outpost – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Office of the Press Envoy, Amity Outpost, sometime later))

Carter: If they are so eager to meet the Hirogen, let it happen out in space, away from the station. They get loose in here...

Ukinix: ::Raising palm:: Now, hang on.  Let’s not count our chickens before they hatch.  We have no idea what the Hirogen want.  All intelligence reports point to virtually no traffic on their subspace relay network, and there’s scant report of them hassling any other nearby systems or civilisations.

Kizat: The Ambassador mentioned an attack by some lone hunters.

Ukinix: I’m aware that Rivi oO and Tani Oo was hunted by a Hirogen on an otherwise uninhabited planet.  Maybe we strayed into their territory without realising.  Or maybe it’s an Hirogen that got bored playing the “Wind in the Willows” program on Hirogen holodeck station Bravo.

Carter: You are making my point for me, Wil. Making excuses for them does not justify risking the lives of almost two thousand people for a conversation. We need to keep them out there, and right now we have three starships available to make them stay out there...

Kizat: There has to be a middle ground. It is dangerous but everything is in this galaxy.

Ukinix: We are on a diplomatic mission.  We are at the behest of the Ambassador, and rightly so.  Any talk of battles, or anything else that involves violence would be a last-resort self-defence, after all diplomatic means are exhausted.  This is not a Starfleet outpost, it’s an FDC one, and every Starfleet officer and crewman under my command will respect both of those facts.

(OOC: This tag above was missed, I’m going to make it so that Wil paused for a moment, before continuing)

Wil stroked his chin for a moment, thinking about what he thought might be the best way forward.

Ukinix: I think reaching out to them is the right way to go.  They would know we’re here.  If Janeway can broker peace with them, we can continue that peace.  They may want the same.  Or maybe they’ve misunderstood our intentions.

(OOC: Tag order got mixed up here from my last sim but I’ll keep it as is to keep the flow)

Carter: And before that happened, how many of her crew did she lose? They comandeered her ship. How many others have they "hunted" since then? How many races who currently are visiting Amity have the Hirogen killed? You really want to risk that for a bloody conversation?

Wil’s stomach grumbled quietly once again, and as he grabbed it to silence it.

Ukinix: Sorry.

Kizat: No apologies needed. Stress does special things to each person.

oO And hunger.  A burger would be *amazing* right now. Oo

Carter: Wil...one thing I do understand is for diplomacy to be successful, you have to have the strength to back it up, and the will to use it. The same with negotiations. With the Hirogen, we dare not show weakness. Three starships is one hell of a trump card, and it shows that although we came to talk, we are ready to defend ourselves.

Ukinix: ::Stroking chin again:: Hmm…  three certainly does show that, but will that just escalate things if we haven’t communicated with them first?

Kizat: We need a neutral space. Not their ships, not our ships. Both parties beam down, security included and talk from there.

Ukinix: There’s plenty of systems we could meet them in if it gets to that.

Carter: Response?

Kizat: Barring that…Biome Park. We close it off to the public for the primary talks we can expand their options from there when it comes to access to the station.

Wil assumed that the new deputy chief of mission was referring to Peace Park, and the idea of Hirogen having access to it made him nervous.  In his mind, that would depend on how any initial communication with them went.

Ukinix: Hmm.  I’ll can imagine that suggestion making some a little nervous.  But that’s all up to you lot, Envoy.  As I said before, we’re in the FDC’s hands.  So whatever you and Ambasador Vataix decide, we’ll provide advice and recommendations, and ultimately carry out the Ambassador’s orders.

Carter: Response

Ukinix: Envoy Kizat, is there anything proactive steps Starfleet can do for you now given the information we have?

Kizat: Response

Carter: Commander Carter, if word gets out about this, there may be some panic.  As lead counsellor, is there anything we can do to re-assure residents – and our own crew?

Carter: Response

Kizat: Response

Ukinix: Alright.  ::Standing up, offering hand:: Envoy, once again, welcome aboard.  It’s great to have you with us, and if there’s anything you need to help you feel part of our family sooner rather than later, let us know.

Kizat/Carter: Response

Ukinix: ::To Kizat:: Seeya ‘round.

((Area outside Kizat’s office))

After John and Wil made their way out of the office, Wil turned to the counsellor and spoke to him quietly so that no-one else heard.

Ukinix: On another note, I might need your help with something.

Carter: Response

Ukinix: It’s Lieutenant Flint.  He’s told me that he feels like he’s being treated like a pariah by people on Amity because he’s an xB.  And that’s just not on in my book.

Carter: Response

Ukinix: I’m just wondering if there’s anything we can do.  I can’t believe I’m going to say this… but maybe we need some sensitivity and awareness training and programs for the crew.  Then somehow extend that to our civilian population?  Tough ask I know…

Carter: Response

Ukinix: I’m open to any ideas.  If you can, send me a proposal about how we can best tackle this.  Maybe it starts with a one-on-one with you and David.  I dunno, whatever you think, I’ll take your lead mate.

Carter: Response

Ukinix: Thanks, John.  ::Slight raise of eyebrows, slight smile:: We have some interesting times ahead of us. ::Smile::  I’ll catch ya later.

Carter: Response.

Tags/End Scene for Wil

Lieutenant Commander Wil Ukinix
Starfleet attaché and First Officer