[ACT 2] Lt. Robin Hopper: Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough (Part 2)

Robin Hopper

Feb 7, 2023, 11:20:00 PM2/7/23
to Amity Outpost

((Bridge, USS Jemison))

As she led the way back onto the Bridge, Hopper stepped to the side of the door as it whooshed shut behind them, giving Wil a view of the assembled Bridge Crew – among them, on loan from Amity, Nadeshiko, Lt. JG David Flint, and the newly-promoted Lt. JG Nathan Richards.

Hopper: ::Announcing::  Captain on the Bridge!   ::Turning back to Wil, cheekily::  Sorry – but I’ve always wanted to say that.

Richards/Nadeshiko: Response?

Ukinix: Just to be clear, “Commander” or “CO”. ::pointing back and forth along pips:: I’ve only got three of these and haven’t earned the title of “Captain”.  I know it’s naval tradition, but… ::Shrug:: so is respect for the pips.

Robin nodded, reflecting Wil’s smile, as he gestured towards the central seats. As she made her way to the First Officer’s chair, at the CO’s side, she nodded to the crewmembers she passed – making sure to spare a second to grin at Richards and send a wink his way. She took her seat, and Wil took his. She activated the console to her side, activating a small holographic display – rather than the old-fashioned screen.

Ukinix: Okay.  We’ve got a bunch of miners to rescue.  Let’s start with status reports.

Richards/Nadeshiko: Response

Flint: Helm and navigational systems are operating at peak performance levels. Warp and impulse engines ready for engagement as needed.  ::Over his shoulder::  Bloody fine ship, Sir.

Hopper: ::Tapping at her display::  All other sections report ready status –  she may not have a full crew, Commander, but the Jemison is in tip-top shape.  ::A glance to Wil::  Hopefully, we’ll be keeping it that way.  ::Looking about the Bridge::  This may be a simulated exercise, but we all need to remain alert – treat this as you would any other mission.

Ukinix: How far away is the asteroid?

Flint: Both team’s asteroids are equidistance from the Outpost – 0.4 lightyears, near the edge of the benamite crystal field. At maximum warp, the Jemison can cross the distance in 84 minutes… But the Bronwyn’s capability is only Warp 9.2, Sir.

Robin ran the math in her head.

Hopper: Two hours and change.  ::To Ukinix::  The Hirogen ships can only manage 9.2 as well. The odds aren’t necessarily stacked in either team’s favour – but we can’t discount that Rahman’s group might send their fastest ships ahead. Every ship’s capabilities are different.

Ukinix: Righto.  Ensign Richards, what can you tell us about the mining rig?

Richards: Response

Robin’s brow arched. She did her best to contain her smirk, instead sending Nathan a knowing look that she hoped read as “don’t sweat it”. Inwardly, however, she was absolutely musing that every Intrepid ship needed a gold-shirted Ensign perpetually stuck with a single pip.

oO Harry Kim, eat your heart out… Oo

Wil, however, had already moved on to Science.

Ukinix: Nadeshiko, welcome aboard!  You must have passed that away team certification.  Congrats.

Nadeshiko: Response

Ukinix: What can you tell us about what happened to the asteroid that has the trapped the miners?

Nadeshiko: Response

As Nadeshiko provided the details, Robin turned once more to her console checking in on the Bronwyn’s readiness, as well as the Hirogen vessels. If any of the slower ships were having issues – particularly with their warp capabilities – they’d be off to a limping start.

Ukinix: Lieutenant Hopper, have the Hirogen reported in?  What’s their status.

Hopper: ::Tilting her head in amused confirmation::  Uhh, I’d say champing at the bit. We’ve received a few pings already asking what the hold up is. I take it the Hirogen aren’t as used to operating in group formations.  ::Finger hovering over holographic button::  Should I tell them to hold their horses?

Ukinix: Alighty.  Let’s first check in with our Starfleet teammate, the USS Halsey.  Someone open a channel?

Robin nodded, sending a written response to the Hirogen – assuring that it was, in fact, almost time.

oO If we want the pack to stay strong… We’ll need everyone running at peak efficiency. Oo

Flint: Channel open, Sir.

On the viewscreen appeared Commander MacKenzie – Robin glanced up. She looked just as pleased with her seat as Wil did – maybe moreso. She certainly seemed more ‘comfortable’ taking the chair. One got used to life on a space station pretty quickly.  As if on cue, Wil stood, taking a step towards the viewscreen.

Ukinix: =/\= G’day Commander, ready to show up our former Captain and risk demotion? =/\=

MacKenzie: =/\= Feels like a good day for a mutiny, Commander! What do you have in mind?  =/\=

Robin lifted her mug of coffee, crossing her legs, leaning back, and taking a sip.  oO It’s too bad Janeway’s favourite drink wasn’t caramel macchiatos… Oo  As she considered ditching the bitter drink, she watched the reparté between the two old shipmates.

Ukinix: =/\= I figure if there’s hostiles there, one of us can perform the rescue while the rest of the ships provide cover.  What do you think? =/\=

MacKenzie: =/\= You’ve got the benefit of greater maneuverability; we’ve got the firepower. We’ll cover you while you go fetch the miners. =/\=

Hopper: =/\= ::To Ukinix::  Makes sense, Sir. Playing to our strengths.  ::Pointing to MacKenzie’s FO, Iovianus::  Looking at you, Lieutenant Commander! =/\=

Iovianus: =/\= Response =/\=

((OOC: Can backsim here if necessary))

Ukinix: =/\= Sounds like a plan.  We’ll prep on our end, and be ready for departure when the light goes green. =/\=

MacKenzie: =/\= We’ll do the same. Halsey out. =/\=

As the viewscreen closed, Hopper returned the mug to her cup holder and stood, stepping forward to stand beside Wil, hands on her hips. Looking out on the purple Nuriootpa Solar Nebula surrounding them, she put forth the first of many decisions that would need to be made.

Hopper: So, what are you thinking? We can try to race the clock… The Kitty Hawk’s the fastest ship of the bunch – by a decent margin. But if we get ahead of ourselves, we may find ourselves ‘in the thick’ of something without backup…

Ukinix/Richards/Nadeshiko: Response

Hopper: ::To Nadeshiko::  Are long range sensors picking anything up?

Nadeshiko: Response

Ukinix/Richards: Response

Hopper: ::To Ukinix::  Your call, Commander.

Ukinix/Richards/Nadeshiko: Response

TBC

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)