[END ACT 2] Lt. Robin Hopper & Lt. JG David Flint: It’s Gonna Take a Miracle (Part 2)

Robin Hopper

Feb 27, 2023, 1:16:55 PM2/27/23
to Amity Outpost

((Escape Pod Launch Berth))

Computer: Launch control system malfunction. Automated launch not possible.

Richards: Excuse me?

Nathan paused, looking at the computer incredulously. Robin put her hands on her hips, finding it hard to believe the simulation was throwing one final complication their way.

It must have been the explosion that caused the issue with the pod – but there was no time to work out this final issue. Within the parameters of the simulation, the asteroid and everything on it would be blown to smithereens in a matter of minutes.

oO Ugh. I really wanted to sit in that First Officer’s seat again. Oo

Hopper: Get in the pod.

Nathan furrowed his brow.

Hopper: You heard it. “Automated launch not possible”… You get in the pod and I’ll stay behind to initiate the launch…  ::Glancing at the controls::  There’s only going to be one more safe window before we’re dust.

She could see that he wasn’t thrilled with the decision – but there wasn’t time to discuss alternatives. As the ranking officer, his safety was her responsibility.

Hopper: Besides… it’s only a simulation.  ::Defeated shrug::  I’ll still get you that dinner.  ::Crossing her arms, cocking an eyebrow::  Unless you’ve got a miracle up your sleeve?

The Engineer looked around, as additional ‘explosion’ sounds roared over the rig’s PA. Inertial dampers began oscillating, creating a sensation not dissimilar to a rocking ship on the water – though everything was stationary. It was almost nauseating.

Richards: How long do we have?

She held on to the terminal in front of her, trying to read the display while her head swam. She saw Nathan taking some sort of tool from his bag, but couldn’t tell what it was from her peripheral vision. A moment later and he was at her side.

Hopper: Ten seconds.

Nathan leaned over the controls.

Hopper: Lieutenant, there isn’t time to fix this sy–

He pressed the launch button and, before she could object, he hoisted her by the waist and launched the two of them into the pod – colliding with the deck with a wind-knocking metallic BANG as the pod’s thrusters fired. Somehow, he’d managed to jam the door just long enough for the two of them to leap through the door as it attempted to shut.

Robin breathed an aggravated sigh of relief, her ribs aching slightly where Nathan’s arms had wrapped around her. She couldn’t say she wasn’t pleased not to be left behind – but a small part of her had relished the potential drama of it.

Opening her eyes, she realized she was lying on top of him, his arms still around her. A moment passed where she wasn’t sure he was going to let go.

Hopper: Is that the haptic feedback again… or are you just happy to see me, Lieutenant?

That did it. He seemed to clue in that they were still entangled and let go of his protective grip, letting her roll off to the side. She stood up and helped him to his feet.

Richards: ::Clearing his throat:: No Officer left behind.

She smiled as he turned, catching a hint of red on his cheeks. Shaking her head and grabbing hold of a support strap, she chuckled. She was sure he meant it – “No Officer left behind” – but she appreciated it all the same. Still, it wouldn’t do to applaud him for ignoring her direct order.

Hopper: ::Teasing::  Yeah, we can’t have Ukinix promoting you to First Officer in my absence, now can we?

((Shuttle USS Vermillion))

The asteroid field was easy enough for the maneuverable shuttlecraft in the hands of a capable pilot – but with the crystalline entity hurling bits of itself all over the place, and shards of asteroids getting blown to bits by the Halsey flying every which way, what had started as an Asteroid field had become more of a minefield. David Flint did not intend to die flying head-on into a scrap of benamite with a shuttle full of ‘injured miners’.

Now the mining rig was launching escape pods into the mix. Bloody brilliant.

Ukinix: =/\= Uk---x to L----enant Flint, -an yo- --ar me? =/\=

Flint: =/\= Well enough, Sir. =/\=

Ukinix: =/\= We’ve ------- -- -et transporters working, and we’re beaming abo--- ---ple from the escape pods.  What’s your ETA wit- --- ---aining miners? =/\=

David looked back over his shoulder, just for a moment, at the dozen or so miners crammed into the shuttle’s cabin – each wearing a red badge, indicating some sort of injury for sickbay to fuss over. Next, he glanced at the distance calculation on the console before him – not that he could take the direct path it was using for its calculations.

Flint: =/\= With some fancy flying, maybe three minutes. =/\=

Ukinix: =/\= I’ll have medical teams awaiting in the shuttlebay, we’ll perform scans and quarantine there, the worst patients can be beamed straight to sickbay. =/\=

Flint: =/\= Aye, understood.=/\=

A beeping on his console alerted him that the last pod had just jettisoned from the mining rig – and not a moment too soon, it seemed, as the asteroid began a cascade of simulated ‘explosions’. One of the miners tapped im on the shoulder and gave him a smile and a ‘thumbs up’.

Miner: Well, we all made it out alive!

Flint glanced at the man’s badge as he prepared for evasive maneuvers – huge chunks of asteroid flying towards him, destroying everything in their path.

Flint: Sit down if you want to stay that way, “collapsed lung”.

((Shortly Thereafter – Bridge, USS Jemison))

Hopper finished inputting the last of her brief ‘report’ on her PADD and sent it to Ukinix’s ‘inbox’. It was his to worry about now – but all things said and done, she figured they’d done about as well as they could have, given the circumstances. The simulation hadn’t gone easy on them. As the window closed, she rolled her eyes at the T’Senara comic still open on her PADD – a ‘gift’ from the EMH which she took as some sort of ‘olive branch’ for his earlier lackadaisical attitude.

Setting the PADD down beside her, Robin rubbed her temples once more. She had decided that Janeway was a rare woman who could keep her hair in such a tight bun and make tough decisions all day without getting a massive headache. She’d let her hair down after their return to the Jemison and decontamination, and at last her headache was beginning to fade. The refilled coffee – also with cream and sugar, because Janeway was just plain wrong about drinking it black – was also helping.

As the door slid open, the acting CO of the Intrepid class made his way to the Captains seat in the centre of the bridge. She looked up at him raised her eyebrows, wondering if he was bringing any news with him.

Ukinix: ::To Robin, small smile:: How’s the seat, Robin?  As comfy as you remember it?

Hopper: ::Smirk::  Warmer than I remember it – and I could swear I smell eucalyptus on it. Know anything about that?

It hadn’t Holmesian deductive reasoning to interpret his message, assuring that her seat was “warm and safe” had meant he’d sat in it the moment she’d stepped foot off the Bridge. That Wil Ukinix was a troublemaker – and she was enjoying serving with him.  oO I’ll have to make more of an effort to get to know him outside of work hours… Oo  she told herself.

He refrained from comment, turning his attention to the helmsman – no doubt pleased to be back at his proper seat as well. Robin wondered, briefly, if the Andorian Ensign had left it warmer or colder.

Ukinix: Lieutenant Flint, how long ‘til we drop out of warp?

Flint: We’re just three minutes out, Sir. We’ll drop in right before the Halsey. The Hirogen are trailing, but the Bronwyn managed to pull them away from their prey by reminding them that it wasn’t real.  ::A glance over his shoulder::  Seems like they got ‘pretty into it’, Sir.

Ukinix: Lieutenant Richards, how are system repairs looking?  We took a bit of a simulated battering around that asteroid field.

Richards: Response

Ukinix: Nadeshiko, what is the current status of the asteroid field and the Entity we left behind?

Nadeshiko: Response

Ukinix: Okie dokie.  ::Turning to Robin::   Robin, inform Amity Ops of our arrival and confirm the medical centre is ready for us to beam the four critically injured to them.

Hopper: On it.  ::Tapping at her console::  Four’s not bad. Considering how things could’ve gone…

She glanced over her shoulder at Nathan, offering him a thankful smile – which was all he was going to get.

Ukinix: Alright.  ::Rubbing hands together::  And team?  ::Looking around the bridge:: I’m bloody proud of us, you all did great.  I’ll be hosting a quiet barbeque on my apartment balcony tonight, you’re all invited.

Hopper: ::Pressing send::  Just promise me – no more jumperbeast, okay?

Richards/Nadeshiko: Response

Flint: Dropping out of warp now, Commander.

The view screen changed from streaks of light, to show Amity Outpost in all its glory. Robin was certainly glad to set her eyes on it again. She took another sip of her coffee and let out a contented sigh.

Ukinix: Lieutenant Flint, here goes.  Hail Ambassador Vataix.

Flint: Hailing…  On screen.

When the view of Amity was replaced with Rivi, Wil stood up and smiled.

Vataix: =/\= Response =/\=

Ukinix: =/\= Hello, Ambassador.  So… ::placing hands behind back:: How’d we do? =/\=

Vataix: =/\= Response =/\=

END Scene for Hopper

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)