Lt. Robin Hopper: Underlying Principles

Robin Hopper

Nov 14, 2022, 2:49:16 PM11/14/22
to Amity Outpost

((Amity Outpost – Science & Research Center, Level 12 - Administration))

Sirn: Is there anything else you wish to know, Lieutenant?

She folded her hands together and rested them on the desk in front of her.

Hopper: The rest can come with time… ::Picking up her PADD and jotting a few notes:: …I’m just putting in a not for Ops to follow up with you regarding accommodations. Once you get settled in, you can set up and appointment with me for a tour of the facilities and we’ll test out those security clearances.

Sirn: ::Nodding:: Indeed.

Hopper: For today, I recommend you focus on familiarizing yourself with the public access areas of the SRC as well as the rest of the station. It may be tempting to dive right into your work, but in my experience, there is far more to life on Amity than lab-time…

As she spoke, she reached down to her left and opened a small sealed refrigerator tucked beneath her desk.

Sirn: I shall take your recommendation under advisement, Lieutenant.

Hopper: ::Grinning:: Oh, but before you go, there is one more thing I need from you. A decision – and a very important one!

As the small glass door swung open, she retrieved two items and placed them on the desk in front of her. She then retrieved two glasses from the shelf under the opposite side of the desk and placed them on the surface as well. Beside the two vessels sat two glass bottles filled with ice-cold black liquids, one with a blue label – the other a red.

Hopper: Coke or Pepsi?

The Vulcan examined the two beverages with raised eyebrows. Robin smiled to herself – it was a rare treat to get both eyebrows.

Sirn: I do not understand…

Hopper: These are sodas, colas to be specific. They’re a syrupy carbonated beverage from Earth – not very healthy when consumed regularly, but delicious

Sirn: I have heard of these carbonated beverages, but have never partaken. May I ask why?

Hopper: I’m glad you did.

She retrieved a bottle opener and popped the lids off of each bottle then, while speaking, emptied the contents of each into a separate glass.

Hopper: Despite having very similar chemical make-ups, historically there has been a lot of contention over these two beverages. Depending on who you ask, they may taste practically identical – or the differences may be so insurmountable that you may only be willing to drink one or the other.

As she finished pouring the drinks, she set the glass bottles aside.

Hopper: Since you haven’t tried them before, I recommend trying both and seeing what you think.

Sirn: I believe the phrase goes; I am willing to try anything once?

Robin smiled, nodded, and pushed the glasses forward. As Sirn tried each, she waited patiently. When he had tasted them both and the glasses were once again sitting on the table, she tilted her head expectantly.

Hopper: So? What did you think? Could you taste a difference?

Sirn: Response

Hopper: Do you have a preference?

Sirn: Response

Hopper: And why do you say that?

Sirn: Response

Hopper: ::Nodding:: Very interesting. Now, to answer your question properly… I think you can learn a lot about someone from this little experiment. You took my request seriously, even though it was seemingly trivial. You were willing to do something new just for the sake of trying it. You even offered me your analysis – despite the result being virtually pointless. These are all qualities of a good Scientist.

Sirn: Response

Hopper: And – most importantly – I now have more data to use for my ‘office party mixer table’! Thank you for contributing to science today, Sirn. Happy to have you in the SRC.

END Scene

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)
Chief Science Officer, Amity Outpost