JP: The Ukinix Family - Patriarch Ascendant (Part 1)

Wil Ukinix

Aug 21, 2022, 7:55:41 AM8/21/22
to Amity Outpost – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Flashback - The Grand Chamber of Nobility, Ninth House Estate, Araraniax Village outskirts, Arandel, Betazed - 2341))

(OOC: The events in this sim happen a few weeks after this scene: https://groups.google.com/g/sb118-veritas/c/iV_hXJVEfKU/m/AU34Wk6JAgAJ )

It may have once been a chamber of nobility that centuries earlier used to entertain nobles from the many houses of Betazed when the Ninth House was then in favour with them, but in Astradem Ukinix’s mind there was nothing “grand” at all anymore about the large, ornate, almost circular room.

The paintings on the ceiling of the room showed a depiction of nobles past from many houses, the artwork rivalling the apparently famed “Sistine Chapel” in a land known as Italy on Earth.  That, at least, was according to his long-distance romantic love interest Hayley Cullen, the human woman who had initially contacted him for information regarding Betazed agricultural methods for her university project.  (Somewhat ironically to Astradem, the educational institution she attended was named the “University of Queensland.”)

He’d never met Hayley in person, it was only via regular subspace transmissions that they’d formed a close friendship.   She was constantly in his thoughts and feelings.  He didn’t have the courage nor the honesty to tell Hayley the truth about the dramas in his life, and the “affairs of convenience” that he’d separately had with the Fourth and Tenth house matriarchs. Maybe noble life wasn’t for him.

If only he could even fathom leaving his life behind…

His thoughts were interrupted by the entry of his sister Vaxa Ukinix, who he had not seen in the weeks since the revelation of his affairs.

Vaxa: ~~ Ah if it isn’t my brother, “Astrad”, the infamous philanderer of Betazoid’s noble houses.  Affairs with the matriarch of the Fourth *and* Tenth houses?  When I rightfully ascend to matriarch of this House, brother, I will strip you of your noble title for such deeds. ~~

Astradem’s sister Vaxa was his main competition for eventual control of the Ninth House.  His parents, not known for keeping Betazed’s noble conventions, had pitted their oldest daughter against their fourth youngest child for the title of “Ascendant”.  It didn’t matter to them that Astradem was a *son* of the Ninth House, and not a female - thanks to an apparent loophole in the rules governing Betazed nobles.

Astradem: ::Sneering:: ~~ You know, after all these years of you and your sisters teasing of me with that name, I am becoming used to the name “Astrad”.  And I don’t care for your opinion, sister.  I have done what our parents have asked me to do.  My dalliances have been successful. The other houses will no longer demand the Ninth House’s land. Father has told me that I may soon be named *Patriarch* Ascendant. ~~

Vaxa: ::Laughing:: ~~ Hilarious!  You are misled if you actually believe that, brother.  The loophole in the charter that father found will be contested in the Betazoid Government Council faster than you can think “Matriarchal Traditions”. ~~

Vaxa and Astradem’s father Alacem was well known as having a successful and ruthless career as a legal representative at Betazed’s judicial institutions.  He would find loopholes in all sorts of laws and regulations on behalf of the parties that he represented.  He may have put his legal career behind him when he married the Ninth House matriarch Kirilow Ukinix, but that didn’t stop his litigious eye from discovering a loophole in the Betazoid Nobility Charter, the document that governed the rules of Nobility for the houses.

The charter prescribed how daughters of Matriarchs became heiresses to the matriarchy. The eldest daughter was given preference to the title, but under special circumstances, a younger sister could be nominated as an heiress. Crucially, though, the wording of this clause used the phrase “among the siblings.” While legal scholars might disagree, Alacem had interpreted that as meaning, legally, a Matriarch could name *any* sibling as “Ascendant” (i.e. heir) at her own whim - regardless of gender.

Vaxa: ~~ And I would not call the Fourth, Sixth, and Tenth starting more legal action in the Betazoid Government Council against our House “successful”.  ~~

Astradem furrowed his eyebrows at the news of more legal action, sensing that his sister was telling the truth.  Had his parent’s plan to send him out to seduce daughters of the other houses backfired?  His thoughts were interrupted by the loud, gruff, excitable, and booming voice of his father Alacem.

Vaxa: ~~ One day, I will be matriarch, Astrad. I will restore the reputation of the Ninth House, and you will be *nothing*. ~~

Alacem: Actually, Vaxa, my dearest daughter, he is not misled.  ::To Astradem:: Haha!  My son!  We have some *wonderful* news.

Astradem’s father Alacem walked into the large, colourful room, arm in arm with his mother Kirilow, the matriarch of the house.  Kirilow and Alacem were frequently together, the pair considered by nobility from other houses as twisted examples of the concept of “Imzadi”.

But a true Imzadi to each other they were.  Almost sickeningly so.

Kirilow: Imzadi and I have been talking-

Alacem: Ohhh, Imzadi, I love it when you talk, have I told you that?

Alacem gently held Kirilow’s arm in his hand, and then placed gentle kisses on her forearm, making her smile.

Kirilow: My Imzadi… ::smile:: Tell me again…

Alacem: ::Devilish smile, gesturing to Astradem while keeping eyes on Kirilow:: You tell him, Imzadi.

Kirilow: Of our news? Very well.

She was disappointed to have to change the subject from her love to her son, but it happened all the same.

Astradem: Tell me of what news?

Kirilow: We got you a girl… oh, Imzadi, what was her name again?

Alacem: Oh, errr…. ::rolling hand:: Volla?  Vora?  Voma?  I can’t quite remember. ::Shrugging, chuckling:: Does it matter, my boy?  She’s gorgeous!  So I’m told.  ::Smiling at Kirilow:: Not as gorgeous as you though, Imzadi.

Alacem returned to placing kisses on Kirilow’s forearm. She smiled at him, reaching out her other hand to return affection.

Astradem: Father…

Alacem seemed too busy planting kisses to pay attention to his only son.

Astradem: Father!

Alacem: ::Looking up:: Hmm? Oh, sorry, I was distracted by your mother.  ::Smiling devilishly:: She’s just as beautiful as ever.  ::Looking at Astradem:: Yes, we have come to an agreement with the Sixth House.  Your matriarch seducing days are officially over, my son.

Alacem sauntered his way over to Astradem and spoke to him in a sly tone.

Alacem: ::Smirking:: Unofficially of course, you can do what you like with whoever you like, just don’t let anybody find out.

He gave Astradem a hard yet playful slap on his buttocks, before snickering and making his way back to Kirilow to resume his arm kisses.

Astradem: Is she a daughter of the Sixth?

Kirilow: Yes yes of course. ::finally pulling her eyes from Alacem to look at Astradem, smiling menacingly:: She's going to be your wife.

Astradem’s jaw dropped at the news.

[TBC…]

Kirilow Ukinix
Matriarch, Holder of the Noble Currency Chest of Rixx, and keeper of the Noble Lands of Betazed
Ninth House of Betazed
A239810RI3

&

Alacem Ukinix