Lt. Robin Hopper: A Great Guy

Robin Hopper

Mar 27, 2023, 5:30:52 AM3/27/23
to Amity Outpost (IC)

((Peace Park, Amity Outpost))

Standing in a loose semi-circle with Hopper were Kivik, Chief Science Officer of the USS Kitty Hawk, and Nathan Richards – whom Robin had insisted come along since he’d skipped out on the formal dinner after telling her he’d be there… and because she enjoyed his company.

Kivik had just finished telling them about Ensign Veers’ work during the war games… a unique idea to capitalize on the availability of highly-energized plasma in the nebula surrounding the pulsar via the Kitty Hawk’s deflector. While Robin wasn’t entirely sure how that might be applicable to a wider range of situations, it was the kind of creative thinking that warranted further thought and investigation…

A couple dozen meters away, a queue was beginning to form by the grill, manned by none other than the Jemmison’s (temporary) Commanding Officer, Wil Ukinix.

Kivik: Looks like food’s ready… If nobody minds, I’d like the chance to say “hi” to an old friend. Can I grab either of you something?

Hopper: I’d take a veggie dog. ::Looking up:: Thank god we’re not eating Hirogen food again… That dinner almost killed me.

Richards: I might go grab something in just a bit, thanks though.

Kivik smiled, nodded, and then jogged over to join the queue, leaving Robin and Nathan standing in the field with their drinks. She turned to him and put her free hand on her hip.

Hopper: Speaking of which – where were you during that dinner? Knowing you, I refuse to believe that you had the good sense to actually skip it… You didn’t get your finger caught in something, did you?  ::Sipping her soda::

Nathan raised an eyebrow – then a look of sudden understanding came over him.  oO This ought to be good. Oo

Richards: ::Chuckling:: Oh yeah, right. I forgot to tell you. I was there. I was just…behind the scenes…

oO Huh? Oo

Hopper: ::Furrowing brow::  Behind the scenes?  ::Chuckling::  Okay, you’ve got me curious.

She watched him run his hand through his hair and considered the possibility that he was about to make up something crazy – but there was an earnest sincerity that punctuated everything he’d ever said to her that made Robin give him the benefit of the doubt. She sipped her cola and listened.

Richards: Well, after getting off the comm with you, I received a request for service from the kitchen staff. They were having issues with the replicators and I was apparently the only one “available” at the time. ::Sipping his drink:: I went down there, and ended up spending the entire time going from replicator to replicator, cook top to cook top, fixing little issues that cropped up.

oO Hmm… That does sound made up… Oo

Hopper: ::Smiling::  I think I’m going crazy, but I actually believe you.  ::Scrunching up her nose::  I’m glad you didn’t come out. You probably smelled like hot jumperbeast.

Richards: ::Smirking:: I really would have loved to see you trying to eat that food. I did have it…made special.

A million possibilities ran through her head at what that could mean.

Hopper: ::Squinting suspiciously, but her voice soft::  What the #$%@ are you talking about?

Richards: Oh, they didn’t tell you? ::Rolling his eyes:: I told them to tell you it was all vegetarian. I made it on one of the replicators I fixed, as a test. ::Looking at Robin, smiling:: Plus, I knew you would die if you really ate what they brought.

She was shocked… Visibly shocked. It took a moment to process what he’d said, what he’d done, and what that meant for her. As it sunk in, she felt tears stinging in her eyes, and a flutter of emotion in her chest. She’d dreaded that dinner, and eating it – knowing that she’d eaten it – had been excruciating… and now, in an instant, she’d been freed of that baggage. A weight lifted from her shoulders that she hadn’t even fully realized she’d been carrying.

Before she knew what she was doing, she’d grabbed him in a hug and planted a kiss on his cheek. An instant later, as she realized the mixed message that might send him, she let go and stepped back, smoothing her uniform.

Hopper: ::Blushing::  You… Didn’t have to do that.  ::Smiling awkwardly::  Sorry about the, uh, –  ::gesturing at his cheek::  It just… That meant a lot to me. Thank you.

She cleared her throat and looked down at her stripey straw.

Hopper: ::Exhaling::  Whooo… God, uh, wow…

She looked back up at Nathan as he smiled at her compassionately, finding it hard to tell just what was going through his head. If he felt as shaken up as she did, he certainly didn’t show it. He shrugged, looking back at the line of people waiting to collect their food. He cocked his head towards Robin, looking at her from the corner of his eye.

Richards: I think I’m going to go jump in line for some grub. Wanna join? Or are you going to wait for Kivik to come back?

Hopper: You know, um, why don’t I go get us another round of drinks while you do that? We can all rendezvous back here in a minute and…  ::Trailing off, knowing she wasn’t getting away with anything::  …and I can maybe get control of myself before I show Commander Ukinix or Lieutenant Kivik my ‘cry face’?

Richards: Response

Before he left, she caught his arm.

Hopper: Hey – sorry for doubting you. I mean, I wasn’t really serious, but I really shouldn’t have been joking around. I know you’re a good guy…  ::Smiling::  Great guy.

Richards: Response

Hopper: But you are still a scamp.

Richards: Response

END Scene / END Mission for Hopper