Lt Solak - Vindaloo (Part 1)

Wil Ukinix

May 19, 2022, 8:40:52 PM5/19/22
to Amity Outpost – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Stellar Cartography, Level 17, Science and Research Center – Stardate 239905.20 – a Thursday))

Solak was tapping at the console in front of him, changing the large holographic display of a portion of the nebula to zoom in on one of the many as yet physically explored areas.  He turned to look over his shoulder when he heard the doors to Stellar Cartography open.  He noticed a person in a red Starfleet uniform making their way along the suspended walkway towards him.

Solak: Greetings.  I do not believe we have met.

Barberra: Greetings Lieutenant Solak, I’m Crewman Maqdar Qovpatlh.

Solak turned to observe the young human crewman.  He placed his hands behind his back, pausing for a moment before speaking.

Solak: Crewman.  I am fluent in Klingon, and am cognisant of the fact that you have joined two Klingon epithets, maqDar and Qovpatlh, together to form a fake name.

Barberra: ::shrug, confident tone:: It’s not fake, my parents are Klingon.

Solak simply raised an eyebrow.

Barberra: :::tut:: Okay.  Crewman Annamae Barberra, Liaison Officer for the Starfleet atissue.

Solak: “Attaché”.

Barberra: Whatever.  ::Looking around at holographic display:: Pulsar cluster, huh?  ::Reading call outs:: By the looks of telemetry, some of the Pulsars must be strong if Amity’s sensors are detecting them through that part of the nebula.

Solak once again raised an eyebrow, surprised by the crewman’s quick analysis of the holographic star charts.

Solak: ::Looking up at star chart:: Yes.  It is quite a puzzling discovery.  ::Looking back at Barberra::  Is that what you are here to discuss?

Barberra: No. Um – it’s just that, I wanted to ask you a question that, well, I’ve tried to ask someone else before, but… I didn’t get a clear answer.

Solak: Proceed.

Barberra: About, you know, a Vulcan’s biological seven-year cycle.

Without flinching, Solak answered quickly.

Solak: Vulcans do not discuss such matters.

Barberra: That’s exactly what the last Vulcan said! ::Staring ahead:: Curious.

Solak: If you are not here in an official Starfleet capacity, I request that you leave.

Barberra: It’s just that I’m interested in the side effects.  You know, does it send you so crazy that you want to smash everything, or does it make you want to juggle a half-dozen d'k tahg’s on the edge of a cliff, or make you want to put your head in a replicator and say “recycle” just to see what happens, help me out here.

Solak: It is no longer a request.  It is now an order.  Depart Stellar Cartography immediately.

Barberra: The head in the replicator thing doesn’t work, by the way.  *Nothing* happens.

Solak: ::Reiterating:: Immediately.

Annamae took one last look at the star chart that surrounded the large room, before turning and making her way out.

Barberra: ::Over her shoulder:: Ugh.  I’ll just have to find another Vulcan to ask.

As Solak watched the young woman make her way to the doors, he partly considered her curiosity to be logical.  However, her approach was brazen and intolerable, especially given the nature of the topic.

When Annamae finally left through the double sliding doors, the Vulcan turned back to look at the holographic display of the pulsar cluster.

Solak: “Curious” indeed.

TBC…

Lieutenant Solak
Stellar Cartographer