[ACT 1] Ambassador Rivi Vataix: Providence (part 2)

Roshanara Rahman

Oct 28, 2021, 12:59:12 PM10/28/21
to Amity Outpost – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG
((Two hours later - Conference Room, Copernicus Center, Amity Outpost))

The USS Independence had departed on its mission to serve as cattle wrangler, and John Carter and Rivi Vataix were now in one of the outpost's conference rooms to discuss the situation with the station's civilian chief of mining operations, Evelyn McLaren.

Although Starfleet provided support for the station's operations, the actual mining of the benamite and other rare minerals in the system were performed by individual private mining corporations. In fact, Amity's lower terminals D, E, and F, were primarily dedicated to supporting the mining operations. For the city in space, Amity's industrial district was made up of those lower terminals. She coordinates the activity of the various independent mining corporations that have taken up residence here on Amity.

Vataix: Ms. McLaren, thank you for joining us.

McLaren: Response

Carter: Response

Vataix: We've already dispatched the USS Independence to help with the animals.

McLaren: Response

Vataix: Can you tell me if any other companies have had issues with these creatures?

McLaren: Response

Carter: Response

Vataix: Hmm... it is odd to even find them. From what I understand, there shouldn't be any life in a young system like this for millions if not billions of years...

Carter: Response

McLaren: Response

Vataix: If they're not indigenous, then the Federation's species protection laws don't necessarily apply here-

Rivi was interrupted by some commotion outside the door. When she asked what was going on, the doors parted, the station's chief of security Cassian Iovianus attempting to hold back a very agitated man.

Prarim: This is *totally* unacceptable, Commander! I *demand* to speak with the Ambassador, *now*!

Iovianus: Response

Vataix: Excuse me, can I help you, gentlemen?

Iovianus: Response

Prarim: You can *help* by ceasing your desecration!

Carter: Response

Vataix: What are you talking about?

Prarim: You've sent that warship of yours to kill our angels! This is the Federation's promise of friendship and respect?

Rivi looked over at Carter, exchanging a grim look.

((Later))

//Ambassador's Log, Stardate 239810.28

We have a further complication with these creatures that are interfering with the mining operations. A Delta Quadrant species called the Hawlat that has taken up a small residence on the station has filed an official complaint, declaring that these creatures are in fact religious icons--their "angels" that are worshipped as divine. The Hawlat themselves are pilgrims, having escaped persecution on many other worlds and sought refuge here on Amity.

In light of this, I've tasked Amity's chief medical officer Lieutenant Wong to investigate more into the biology and cultural significance of these creatures with the help of one of the Hawlat.

(OOC: Wong's team consists of WongSuribana (Medical), Kivik (Science), Keehani (First Secretary), and an MSPNPC Hawlat pilgrim played by Suribana /Sergio)

Meanwhile, Chief Counselor John Carter is leading mediation between the Hawlat pilgrims and the mining corporations, represented by Amity's chief of mining operations Evelyn McLaren. With him are my deputy chief of mission and the Counselor for Cultural and Press Affairs Dr. Orrey, Orrey's assistant First Secretary Carter Daniels, and geologist Kamoyo Aleksandrov.//

((Conference Room))

Before Rivi even entered the room, she could sense the tension. As the doors parted, she saw two Hawlat pilgrims on one end of the table and McLaren on the other end. Her staff was gathered in the middle of the table between the two opposing sides.

Vataix: Before we continue further, I want to make it clear nothing has happened yet. The Independence is investigating options but the final orders on what happens come from me alone.

Prarim: (played by Kivik) Response

Hawlat pilgrim (played by Aleksandrov): Response

Vataix: First, can you explain a bit more about what these creatures mean to you and your history with them?

Prarim: (played by Kivik) Response

Hawlat pilgrim (played by Aleksandrov): Response

Carter: Response

Orrey: Response

Daniels: Response

Aleksandrov: Response

TAG! TBC...

Ambassador Rivi Vataix
Chief of Mission and Commanding Officer, Amity Outpost
Federation Diplomatic Corps, United Federation of Planets
I238705TZ0