Lt. Robin Hopper: The Crimson Canopy

Robin Hopper

Mar 24, 2023, 10:23:41 PM3/24/23
to Amity Outpost (IC)

((Hopper’s Apartment – Beijing District, Habitat Ring, Amity Outpost))

Robin stared at the garment for a time, filled with mixed emotion, running a hand along the red shoulder panel. Her time in the First Officer’s seat aboard the Jemison had been brief… but it had made a lasting impression on her – of that, she was certain.

On the one hand, Wil’s words were still ringing in her head from over a week ago: that her “natural leadership abilities” had led him to selecting her as his second for the mission… a mission that they had claimed 2-out-of-2 victories in.

On the other hand, she still felt as though she’d only just stepped into the role of Chief Science Officer. The thought of any command position beyond that hadn’t entered her mind – it felt like a distant prospect, something to think about in a year, or two, or three’s time. Plus, she was pretty sure the red uniform washed her out.

She carried the jacket to the replicator and placed it inside.

Hopper: Recycle.

In a flash of criss-crossed light, it vanished.

((30 Minutes Later – Cherry Blossoms Biome, Peace Park, Amity Outpost))

Hopper: Thanks.. again.. for taking the time, Commander…  ::Glancing to her companion as they walked::  I know you don’t have much of it left before your transport leaves. But I knew I’d regret it if I didn’t take the opportunity.

oO You’re gushing. Oo

She offered a conciliatory smile to Commander Addison MacKenzie, walking beside her along the path through the crimson-canopied cherry trees. Ever since MacKenzie had first arrived for Wil’s surprise promotion ceremony, Hopper had hemmed and hawed over how to introduce herself. The truth was, she was a little starstruck… Something she imagined the Commander wasn’t used to.

But Robin had an affinity for the women of Starfleet who had made their way through the ranks from wearing a blue uniform to a red – women like Kathryn Janeway or… well, like Addison MacKenzie. And, in the latter’s case, Robin had taken particular interest in after reading her article on alternate control technologies for prosthetic limbs – a subject near and dear to her.

MacKenzie: Response

Hopper: I’ve read your article – the one you co-authored with Geoff.  ::Blushing at the informality::  I mean, um, Commander Teller. I thought it was fascinating.

As they walked together, if one were to listen closely, a faint ‘whirr’ could be heard – the sound of Robin’s left leg as the complex mechanisms within it worked to give her an imperceptibly-natural gait. She’d worn a prosthetic her entire life, and its integrated bioneural components had always made it feel like a part of her – but it had also set her apart.

MacKenzie: Response

Hopper: Actually, ma’am – oO God, I hope she doesn’t mind being called ma’am. Oo –  I didn’t intend to pick your brain about transceiver implant methodologies, though I absolutely would if we had more time to talk… I was hoping to ask for your advice. Career advice.

MacKenzie: Response

They made their way over a low arched bridge that spanned a small, but quickly-flowing stream. Robin took a moment to collect her thoughts.

Hopper: If you don’t mind me asking… How did– No, um. What– Ugh…  When did you know that you wanted to take that next step? Beyond serving as a Chief Medical Officer… Did you seek that out, or did it come to you?

She looked to MacKenzie with a furrowed brow, hoping the Commander was wise enough to figure out what she was getting at, seeing as she obviously hadn’t fully wrapped her own head around it yet.

MacKenzie: Response

TAG/TBC

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)