Lt. Commander John Carter, "A Visit long Overdue."

KENNETH COTTON

Dec 4, 2022, 5:22:51 PM12/4/22
to Amity Outpost – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG
OOC: My apologies for taking so long to join this thread, but I'm glad I'm here. Here we go...

((Shuttlebay 4, The Cellar, Amity Outpost))

Relatively speaking, Amity was a pretty big place, certainly much bigger than a starship, and there were places in which John had not visited since he was assigned here. Shuttlebay 4 was one of them. Although he knew Nathan had been working on his shuttle project, it had taken John far too long to get down here and check on his progress.

Although he knew that several Amity officers had been down to assist Nathan, that was not the same as himself going down there. So, with a clear afternoon, at least for now, it was time to make the visit...

When the doors of the shuttle bay opened, John was greeted with the smell of ozone, new paint, and the gentle throbbing on machinery. Sitting in the middle of the bay was Nathans' project, and she looked ready to go. John smiled as Hopper called out to him...

Hopper: Oh, hey! Commander, you made it! ::Chuckling:: I’m afraid there’s not much more work to be done, but… ::Pointing to the shuttle:: Take a look.

Carter: Response

Richards: I just put the finishing touches on the outside. I still need to meet with Commander Iovianus about what I can do about arming her for emergencies, and have to get her registered aboard the station. Other than that I think she is good to go!

John nodded...

Carter: She's a beauty, Nathan! You've done a great job on her!

From what John had heard, the beauty before him was pretty much a wreck before Nathen took on the project. He should absolutely be proud of himself...

Hopper: ::Agreeing:: Isn’t she a beauty?

Carter::nodding:: It's amazing what you can do with some motivation and a purpose.:: smiling:: How fast do you think she is?

Richards: ::Smiling:: I’d even wager she could beat both mine and S’Raga’s time through the Grinder. ::Chuckling:: Might have to put that to the test.

Hopper: Well, why don’t we get in there? You’ve done so much work since I saw her last - we could both use a tour, hmm? Don’t you think, Commander?

Carter: Absolutely. I'd love to take the tour...

Richards: ::Gesturing towards the shuttle:: By all means. A tour it is.

Nathan led the way, with John behind him and Hopper bringing up the rear. The excitement in Nathans' voice was infectious as he spoke...

Richards: This is the Foyer. Leave your coats and hats…anywhere, I guess.

Carter: If I had one, I would...

Hopper: You make it sound like you’re ‘moving in’...  ::Jokingly::  How does S’Raga feel about that?

Next, they stepped through the doorway into the main section of the shuttle. The biobed was folded up against the wall, opening up the main floor. The two doors on either side sat open, giving access to the EVA storage and weapons locker. There was a small sleeping area with bunk beds that sat directly across from the biobed with a head right next to it. It was very similiar to the shuttles John flew during flight school. One thing for sure...Starfleet knew how to pack everything in...

Richards: This here is the lounge. Lots of room for activities and relaxation. Fully functioning biobed and medical station. Sleeping capacity for two crew members at a time, unless they share. ::cough:: And of course, the luxury suite. ::Gesturing towards the Lavatory::

Hopper: In truth, getting everything functioning – and keeping the layout operationally functional as well, was quite a feat. I remember how she looked back on day one.  ::To Carter::  She’s come a long way, Sir.

Carter: I bet she has.

John could tell that several components had been "Frankensteined" into certain positions that were not their normal homes. However, turning a snipe and a science officer on such issues, there were really no issues at all. In fact to the untrained eye, everything was exactly where it was supposed, and no one was the wiser.

Next, Nathan led the way through another doorway into the Ops section. Terminals sat on either side of the doorway next to two exterior hatches.

Richards: Tactical and Science stations. ::Gesturing towards the two terminals:: Exterior access hatches for multiple points of entry and exit.

Carter: Very good...

Hopper: Alright Nathan… ::Smirking::  Let’s get to the good stuff, hm?

Richards: And finally, through the last doorway here, is the cockpit. Pilot and copilot consoles. Nothing too fancy. ::Turning towards the others:: What do you think?

John was impressed. Completely and totally impressed. Nathan, Hopper and everyone else who had assist in putting this thing together needed to blow their own horns about it, the work was that good. Most importantly, it allowed Nathan to focus on this and not his body. John spoke...

Carter: She's beautiful. What you have done with her is incredible, absolutely incredible.. A person committed to what seems the impossible can work wonders.

Hopper: Well said, Commander.  ::To Nathan::  This wasn’t an easy project to take on. It was demanding – physically, mentally, and it required you to realize a final product in what was, and I’m speaking from my own observations here, a heap of junk. You’re a dedicated man, Ensign Richards… The Targhee is lucky to have you.

Carter: So, that's her name?

Richards: response

Hopper: ::Patting Nathan’s arm::  And, hey, thanks for putting so much faith in me. Letting me be a part of it. I know how much this shuttle means to you, so...I appreciate it.

Carter: I would also like to thank you for joining in on this project.

Richards: response

The three made their way back out into the shuttlebay, near a rack of coffee trays. Looking back at the shuttle, Robin spoke...

Hopper: So – how soon will she fly? Have you sorted out your certifications yet?

Richards: response

Now, here was a place where John could help, and a wry smile crept across his face...

Carter: I'll go right now and have that taken care of so the Targhee can have her flight certificate as soon as possible. You've spent a lot of time getting her ready, and I know you are ready to fly her. Anybody want to come with?

Hopper spoke...

Hopper: Oh, um, you go on ahead, Sir. I’ve just realized I left something in the shuttle. I’ll catch the next one.

Carter: Allright. Tell Nathan the flight safety folks will be down to talk to him pretty soon. See you two later...

With that, John left the shuttlebay, preparing to make some calls to get the Targhee certified and airborne. He didn't anticipate any issues, and it was one of those times being a Second Officer was helpful in getting things expedited...

END SCENE FOR CARTER

Lt. Commander John Marcus Carter

 Second Officer/ Chief Counselor

 Amity Outpost