Lt. JG Robin Hopper: Temporal Breadcrumbs

Robin Hopper

Dec 16, 2022, 8:02:41 PM12/16/22
to Amity Outpost

((OOC Note 1 – I am posting in accordance with the 48/72 hr rule and leaving out older tags for Commander Core.))

((OOC Note 2 (from Vataix’s last post): No one else besides Vataix or Hopper remember [the original timeline]... And it's perfectly reasonably--probably even expected that they might think something is more likely wrong with Rivi and Hopper than the universe.))

((Amity Outpost - Copernicus Center, Chief of Mission’s Office))

Carter: It seems we have a mystery…

Robin tilted her head and let out a tight-lipped sigh. “Mystery” felt like an understatement, given the circumstances. It felt more like a waking nightmare. Worse than knowing your reality had been altered and that you were powerless to stop it, was the thought that it could be your own memory that was false – or that the reality you recalled had, itself, already been altered. She wasn’t even entirely convinced the whole thing wasn’t some sort of elaborate ruse…

Iovianus: More than one.

Hopper: Whatever is going on here, something shielded Rivi and I from it. So why us?

Carter: The rest of us are not empaths. However, that does not explain Jaygee Hopper remembering a party that the rest of us don't.

Robin nodded. It couldn’t be Rivi’s Betazoid abilities that protected her. Tidrid had forgotten everything as well – and Robin had no heightened senses. It had to be something else.

Iovianus: Or the officer that is and is not.

Core: Response

An awful thought entered Robin’s mind. The possibility that the most logical conclusion was that Rivi and her were, in fact, delusional. That somehow, their memories had been affected. Were she in Carter’s shoes, would she be willing to accept the accounts of two people over all of history? Robin honestly wasn’t sure that she would…

Hopper: You do all believe us, right?

There were another exchange of glances around the table. Nobody leapt to agree. She felt her heart sink a little, and gave a concerned glance towards Rivi.

Carter: Let's start by corroborating the locations of these officers who were allegedly here last night.

Iovianus looked up from the PADD he was reviewing.

Iovianus: At first glance the incoming and outgoing manifests and scans make sense.

Core: Response

Carter: We'll start with the top of the food chain. Captain Rahman. Let's find out where Captain Rahman is right now.

Rivi nodded and called for the computer to do a records search.

Vataix: Computer, where is Captain Roshanara Rahman?

Computer: There is no one with that name aboard Amity Outpost.

Vataix: Expand search to all docked stations. Is she aboard the Kitty Hawk?

Computer: There is no one with that name registered among local ship manifests.

Rivi sighed and Robin felt her chest tighten. She raised her coffee cup to take another sip, but thought better of it. She was already feeling exceedingly anxious – there was no need to continue making it worse.

Vataix: What is the current posting of Captain Roshanara Rahman?

Computer: There is no person with that name and rank in active service. The nearest match is Lt. Commander Roshanara Rahman, former chief engineer of the USS Mercury, medically discharged on stardate 239206.20.

oO This just keeps getting worse and worse… The changes go back to before I even enrolled at the Academy… Oo  Robin’s thoughts strayed momentarily to all the people she had known, all the work she had done since that time. How much of it was now different than what she recalled, how many relationships and opportunities had been missed out on.  oO Is that why I’m still a JG? Oo

Vataix: Where was Lt. Commander Rahman last seen?

Computer: Last known location for Lt. Commander Rahman was recorded in 2397: Epsilon Camelopardalis III-F.

Vataix: ::shaking her head:: I don't understand... she's supposed to be the captain of the Kitty Hawk. Computer, who is the captain of the Kitty Hawk?

Computer: Captain Gabriel Evanston.

Hopper: God, how many other things have been changed?

She felt like she might be sick, nausea welling within her. Whether it was the coffee, or the worry, or some sort of time-sickness… she didn’t know.

Hopper: ::Putting her head in her hands::  How far back do the changes even go?

Carter: That is a...rather impossible answer....

She was too busy trying to keep her breakfast down to respond to Carter. Of course it was. With only Rivi and herself even aware of the ‘differences’ between these realities, and their experiences limited by what they knew about the world beforehand, it would be nearly impossible to figure out through anecdotal means just where this reality split from the other.

Iovianus: The others. Check on the others, especially that commander. If the active computer gives us the same answer for him we know we are displaced in some way.

Vataix: I already checked Wil Ukinix's file. It reports that he was assigned to Amity Outpost when it first became operational but then went missing in action shortly after he got here. Do any of you remember him at all?

Another general pause. Robin just shook her head slightly, trying to figure out what sort of station Amity was without Wil Ukinix as the Starfleet attaché…

Core: Response

Iovianus: We need a cause for our effect. ::to Robin:: Is there some sort of unusual record on the station's sensor logs? Or something that would have only alerted the command staff?

Hopper: ::Looking up, still feeling ill::  I… I’m not sure. To be honest, I’ve felt so overwhelmed, I haven’t been able to examine sensor logs yet…  ::Letting out a deep breath::  …But that’s a logical place to start. If there was some sort of–  ::waving hand, trying to find the word::  –spacetime anomaly… It may have been detectable. Assuming those logs weren’t then immediately replaced by new, clean logs by whatever the disturbance was.

Iovianus: What about from the ops side? Have we had any unusual cargo come on board?

Reade/Core: Response?

Vataix: All right, Robin, since you remember the party, I'd like you to lead an investigation with Scotty. Examine the habitat ring and see if you can find any traces of... temporal anomalies or anything else amiss. Perhaps Nadeshiko can assist?

At last, she felt the swell of sickness begin to fade. Her breathing normalized and her head cleared – a little. She swallowed and nodded slowly.

Hopper: Yes, ma’am. I mean, of course, Rivi…  ::Realizing there was something that needed to be confirmed::  =/\= Computer, is the Civilian Analyst known as Nadeshiko on board? =/\=

Computer: =/\= Affirmative. Nadeshiko is currently located in the Science and Research Center. =/\=

Hopper: At least there’s that.  ::To Reade::  Scotty, you’re with me. Let’s, um, try to get to the bottom of this.

Reade: Response

Vataix: Get to it now please.

Robin stood from her seat, placing the half-empty coffee cup into the replicator for recycling. Turning to Scotty, she motioned for the door – then offered a parting word to the group.

Hopper: We’ll figure this out.  ::Nodding, trying to convince herself::  I know we will.

Reade: Response

((En Route to the Science & Research Center))

As they walked out of Rivi’s Office and into Copernicus Center, Robin nervously flexed her hands a few times. Turning to Scotty, she looked him up and down briefly – wondering how familiar he would be… how much had changed.

Hopper: This might sound crazy, but, um… Are you and Evelyn still together?

Reade: Response

Hopper: Do you remember having lunch with S’Raga and I the other day…?

Reade: Response

Hopper: ::Shaking her head::  This is so #$%& up. I don’t know what’s “real” anymore…

It had only been last night that she and Scotty had chatted at the party with Commodore Kells. A party that, now, no longer happened. How many other conversations had been lost to this change… It was going to give her a headache trying to think of it all. Instead, she simply walked in silence and tried to remember as much about the previous night as possible – in fear of forgetting it.

((Flashback – Previous Night, Chief of Mission’s Accomodations))

Hopper: ::Grinning:: Hiya Scotty! Enjoying the party? ::A flirtatious glance towards Kells:: Hi, I’m Robin by the way.

Kells: Aron, Aron Kells.

Robin sipped her drink and smiled at the handsome man in the skant. There was something about the uniform on a man she’d always found unconventionally attractive… sort of like a kilt. It certainly took confidence to pull it off. She wondered what it would take to pull this one off.

Reade: I do not think you two have met?

Hopper: Well, we have now, right? ::Taking a small sip, then setting her glass down on the side table next to her:: How do you two know each other? ::To Kells:: Were you previously aboard the Veritas as well?

Kells: ::With a shake of his head:: Nope, but its former CO, Roshanara Rahman -- who's right over there -- was my first officer for some years. ::Beat, partially to Reade:: That was before Thor and Veritas. And ::beat:: my husband is great friends with Wil Ukinix.

Reade: I see.

Robin felt her hopes sink.  oO Husband… Oo  She followed the Commodore’s gaze over to the man chatting with Wil – Del something – before taking another, larger, sip of her drink. If he was married, she certainly had no intention of getting involved… assuming he would have. More likely, she figured, he had deliberately mentioned his partner as a means to dissuade her of any notions…

oO I guess I misread the situation. I could have sworn he was interested… Maybe he’s just a flirty person. Oo  The same could be said of her, she supposed.

Hopper: Well, um, how long will you be staying on Amity? If you need anyone to give you a tour around the station some time… I know how busy Rivi and Wil can get.

Kells: (with a wide smile) Oh yes, I'd like to see Amity as it is now.

oO See… That look feels like– Ahh, never mind… Oo  She decided to turn the conversation elsewhere for a moment as she tried to muddle through the signals she was getting. Meanwhile, she picked up a baby carrot from her plate and inadvertently waved it around a bit whilst talking to Scotty.

Hopper: How’s Evelyn doing? Have you two been up to anything fun in your last few days of leave?

Reade: She is doing great. Thanks for asking Robin. We got some holodeck time in; we did an old fantasy novel.

Hopper: That sounds nice. You two are so cute together!

Her eyes once again strayed to Kells, as she absent-mindedly nibbled on a baby carrot… Which, as she thought about it, might not be the most attractive choice.

Hopper: So, the Thor. That must have been an interesting journey. Any fun stories from the trip out to the Delta Quadrant with both crews?

Kells: ::conversational:: Well, after we dropped off the Amity crew, we were almost eaten by a time-traveling space monster. That was certainly memorable. ::beat:: But that was after. During? Hmm. A lot of people, even on a ship as large as the Thor, start to smell a certain way after long enough together. It's hard to explain, but even the best atmo scrubbers can't get rid of it.

oO Ew. Oo  With that comment, any lingering thoughts of romance were instantly sent packing from her mind. Instead, she picked up her drink again and finished it off.

Reade: That was really close then. Another story for an another time.

Hopper: Yeah, sounds– ::pause:: –fascinating.

Kells: Oh, no, you've already been ::beat:: very hospitable ::beat::, both of you. I wouldn't want to take up more of your time. ::beat:: But a tour later, maybe? Robin?

She nodded, non-commitally at first, but – realizing she couldn’t exactly go back on her offer even if a tour with the Commodore wasn’t going to lead to anything – then nodded more assuredly.

Reade: Commodore, you are not wasting our time; we would love to give you a tour of Amity. I’ve been making some upgrades since you last visited. The offer is open.

oO Scotty might be more his type anyways. Oo

Hopper: ::Small, slightly disappointed, smile::  Just drop either of us a line.

Kells: Well, well, good to meet you, and seat you! I mean, good to see you, and meet you!

Reade: You as well Commdore.

Hopper: Byee…

As he walked away, Robin shook her head, very slightly. She still enjoyed watching him leave. At least there was that.

Reade: Shall we drink some more Hopper?

Hopper: ::Rolling her eyes at her own ‘strike out’::  Oh yes… Yes, we shall…

((End Flashback))

((Science & Research Center, Level 13 - Research Archives & Library))

The journey along the train line to the Science & Research Center had been quiet. Neither her nor Scotty seemed quite to know what to say about the whole situation. One thing was clear though – the SRC was the place to begin their investigation. Not only would it have the most sophisticated measuring devices on the station, but it was also where their brilliant new android analyst, Nadeshiko, was.

Robin hoped that her expectations of the synthetic woman weren’t unrealistic… She hardly expected her to have all the answers – but a small part of her was hoping that she might also remember the events of the last few days, given her only-very-recent arrival on the station. Either way, someone able to think and calculate as quickly as she undoubtedly could would still make a big difference in their attempt to uncover the truth about what had happened.

Hamasaki: Lt. Hopper, Lt. Reade! I hope you two are still coming to trivia night tomorrow. ::She grinned:: Sesalol and I are ready to beat you and get the title back.

Robin looked to Scotty with a confused expression as the woman approached them. She had no idea who this woman was. Or who Sesalol was. Or why her and Scotty were part of a trivia team together… At least he should know who she was.

Hopper: Umm…  ::Turning back to Hamasaki::  I don’t really know to say this, but… Well… There’s a situation on Amity right now.  ::Eyes up and to the left in thought, a slight frown::  Umm, nothing to be too concerned about.  ::Back to Hamasaki::  At least, not at this point. But, well…

Reade: Response

Hopper: Yeah, I’m afraid my memory of events is no longer accurate. Several crew members may be missing – Commander Ukinix, of one – and a few visiting officers as we–  ::Realizing she would likely have no idea who any of these people were::  –We are trying to figure the cause of the discrepancy and, well, that’s why we’re here…  ::Elaborating::  To speak with Nadeshiko.

The other woman’s expression changed. Robin hoped her explanation would be sufficient, given that she herself still had little idea of what exactly had happened.

Hamasaki: Ah, I see ::confused:: I've never met a 'Commander Ukinix.' But it wouldn't be the first time altered memories got placed in someone, or something else equally weird happened. I'll stop disturbing you now.

Hopper: ::Feeling terrible::  Sorry…

She understood now how Wil must have felt when he’d realized he’d completely forgotten her, weeks earlier, after his two transporter halves had been reunited. At the time, she recalled feeling hurt by it – even knowing that it was irrational. She hoped that this person, whoever she was, wasn’t too offended.

Reade: Response

As the unfamiliar woman bowed and left, Robin turned her attention to Nadeshiko – who sat, examining some datapoints across several screens. She took a few steps forward but, before she could say anything, the android woman began laying out scenarios.

Nadeshiko: Well. From lowest order probability, we have: ::she began to clinically tick:: an altered reality, focused temporal effect, psionic fields causing memory distortions, universe-reality manifold bubbles, morphogenic dream-state emitters, higher technological energy beings, an ascended energy being similar to the Q or Trelane, temporal-viridaum fracturing, quantum flux, memory parasites, memory alteration, an uptime effect, temporal and quantum displacement, or memory delusions. However, absent more data, there is no conclusion that can be supported. The recommended course of action is a quantum-chroniton spin scan first, followed by a delta wave scan, followed by a epsilon sequence scan. That should rule out the about half of the possibilities and give us a lead.

Robin blinked. That had been a lot of information to take in all at once.

Hopper: ::A little bewildered::  Right, sorry. Um… I suppose all of those are theoretically-viable causes, worth examining in your proposed order of probability.

She approached Nadeshiko and looked over her shoulder at the screens – the data moving too fast for her to even track with her organic senses. It would certainly be helpful to narrow down the list of possibilities… She thought back to what Kells had said about serving with Rahman before she had taken command of the Veritas.

Hopper: One thing I will say is that the changes we are experiencing – assuming that we can trust what little knowledge we have of how things ‘were’ before – is that the alterations all appear to be targeted. A group of officers, all of them associated with Captain – sorry, Lt. Commander – Roshanara Rahman, have conspicuously disappeared after congregating here yesterday…

She turned around, placing her hands on her hips and trying to think.

Hopper: Which leads me to think that this is some sort of deliberate, and specific, act – rather than anything ‘sweeping’. The larger changes we’re seeing, I’d guess, are derived from temporal rippling. Aside from the scans you recommended… are you aware of any other, um, ‘leads’ we might follow?

Reade: Response

Nadeshiko tilted her head for a fraction of a second before responding to the most pressing question.

Nadeshiko: All of those are based off existing ship reports, or known to Starfleet Science, or in some cases, the Department of Temporal Integrity. I would also recommend a scan and analysis by the medical department to rule out the higher order possibilities.

Hopper: ::Nodding::  Yes, I suppose Rivi and I should both be medically examined when it’s convenient… I wish our CMO were here and not running off to Beta–  Hang on a second…  =/\= Computer, who is the FDC First Secretary on Amity Outpost? =/\=

Computer: =/\= First Secretary Annamae Barberra. =/\=

oO Huh. Oo

Hopper: ::Lips pursed::  I take it they’re not off to Betazed, then.  ::Sighing::  Doesn’t matter. Scotty, you and I will need to make the necessary preparations for the scans that Nadeshiko has recommended. If possible, I’d like to receive the results here in the SRC so that we can review them as a group. Nadeshiko, will you accompany us?

Reade/Nadeshiko: Response

Hopper: I’d also like to run some detailed scans of the Beijing District. The party was held at the Vataix household – and Both Rivi and I were ‘shielded’ from the effect somehow. It stands to reason that, maybe, if we’re going to find anything here on Amity, we’d find it there.

Reade/Nadeshiko: Response

Hopper: ::Sighing::  I guess we’re looking for temporal breadcrumbs.

Reade/Nadeshiko: Response

TBC

==

Lt. JG Robin Hopper (she/they)
Acting Chief Science Officer, Amity Outpost
V239806K11