Lt. Robin Hopper: Work Hard, Play Hard

Robin Hopper

Nov 16, 2022, 3:56:06 PM11/16/22
to Amity Outpost

((Habitat Ring – Beijing District, Hopper’s Apartment))

S'Raga: I've uploaded the apartment floor-plan to each of your PADDs, and I've unlocked the replicator here to give us whatever tools and equipment we need. If you need anything bigger than what the replicator can provide, just let me know and I'll go get it.

Hopper:  Also, as I said, I am available to help – especially if there’s any programming to be done, or, you know, if you need someone to pass you a hyperspanner… Uhh, oh, and since the replicators are working, I’ll whip us up some lemonade or something!

Richards: Sounds good. I could go for something to drink I think.

Reade: Response

S'Raga: ::To Robin:: While they're doing that, I'll upload all the hologram subroutines you'll need into the console in the study.

She made her way towards the replicator..

Hopper: And I have some of my own programs I’ll load in – but I can take care of that later.

With that, S'Raga opened the French doors on their right and walked into the apartment's office space, sat down at the desk and began working at the console. Robin made her way to replicator, which was built in to the front door of the refrigerator, in the kitchen

Reade: Response

Hopper: ::To the Replicator::  A jug of lemonade, with ice and a sprig of mint.

As the jug appeared in front of her in a flash of light, she scooped it up and spun around, setting it down on the kitchen’s island, beside the built-in sink. She could already picture a cute light fixture hanging over it, and a short row of barstools opposite. Turning back to the replicator, she felt a surge of emotion and took a moment to collect herself before placing the next order.

Hopper: Four glasses… Each with a different color paper umbrella.

She collected them and lay them out on the island. Looking into the living & dining area, she smiled at the sight of Nathan already half-gone into the crawlspace beneath her dining room floor.

Hopper: ::To Reade and Richards::  Can I pour you both a glass?

Reade: Response

Richards: ::Muffled and slightly echoes:: Yes, please!

Robin poured three glasses and brought two of them over to the officers in gold-shirts, setting Nathan’s down across the ‘hole’ from the side his legs were sticking out of.

Hopper: ::Speaking louder to the Caitian in the other room:: How about you, S’Raga? Do you like lemonade? Can I get you anything else?

S’Raga: Oh, um, no thank you. Lemonade is a bit sweet for my taste. I could go for a glass of k'larr, though!

oO A glass of what? Oo

Hopper: ::Slightly unsure, but still pleasant::  Okay!

She turned to the replicator and looked through the menu for “Klar”, then “Clar”. Finding nothing, she just whispered at it.

Hopper: ::Whispering::  One… mug? …of K’larr.

A steaming mug of some sort of brownish savory liquid appeared. It looked to Robin like an oversteeped herbal tea – but it smelled like soup. For a moment, she thought of checking the ingredients, then decided that, given Caitian dietary requirements, she might be happier not knowing what was in it.

She collected the mug and brought it to the office, setting down quietly beside S’Raga while he worked. The Caitian nodded in thanks. Smiling, Robin walked back into her dining room and collected her own glass, with a mint-colored umbrella sticking out of it, and took a sip. Setting it down on the counter, she was ready to get down to business.

Hopper: ::Hands on hips:: Now, where do we get started – and how can I be useful?

Richards: I might need a hand lowering some of the equipment into the space here. ::gesturing towards the hole::

Hopper: You bet. Scotty, anything I can do for you?

Reade: Response

Hopper: S’Raga?

S'Raga: I'm all good here for now. You can go help Nathan!

As Richards took a long drink from his glass, she moved over beside him and knelt down on the floor, sitting back on her legs which disappeared into her dress that had created a small semi-circle around her. She rested her hands on her lap and nodded – ready to assist.

Nathan took a deep breath and lay down once again, sticking his upper body down into the hole. Robin gingerly moved his glass of lemonade out of the way, preventing it from spilling all over him with an amused roll of her eyes.

Richards: ECHO! Echo….echo…

Hopper: If you get electrocuted in there, you’re going to become the most annoying ghost, aren’t you?

Reade: Response

Richards: ::Muffled and slightly echoed:: Can’t a guy have some fun?

Hopper: As long as you put your safety first.  ::Smirking::  And no using your arm as a fuse. We have the proper tools here, okay?

She reached into the ‘toolbox’ beside her and pulled out what she was pretty sure was a miniaturized plasma distribution manifold and waggled it towards him – even though he couldn’t see it.

Reade: Response

S'Raga: Robin, are you thinking of repainting this place?

As Robin tucked the manifold back into its container, she looked around at the plain white and grey walls. She hadn’t been responsible for seriously decorating a space since she was seventeen – and her childhood bedroom had hardly been the picture of refined adult living that she now admired. It had been bright colors and posters everywhere the bookshelves and computer terminals weren’t.

Hopper: Mmm… Yes. I think so. Why do you ask?

S'Raga: Just curious. My mom's office at home is a dark green with mustard-yellow accents and furniture made of a rich, dark brown wood. I always thought it was calming.

Hopper: Sounds like she has good taste.  ::Smiling::  Of course, I’ve had my taste described as, uhh, “garish” by my College roommate… Maybe I’ll tone it down with some pastels. A sort of light raspberry red in the bedroom – maybe a celestial blue in through the living and dining?  ::Smiling::  I might bring in some mustard yellow accents, now that you mention it though.

S'Raga: Nathan, did you ever think of repainting our place at some point? Could be nice to have something new and fresh.

Richards: Response

S'Raga: And how about you, Scotty? Did you go for custom colours in your place?

Robin looked to Reade curiously. If she recalled correctly, he had shared an apartment with the Kitty Hawk’s CSO, Kivik, back when ne had served aboard Amity. She wondered if he was looking forward to a promotion and moving on to his own apartment or if he was more interested in finding a new roommate… maybe Lieutenant Beake – if she were to transfer.

Reade: Response

Hopper: ::To Reade::  Sounds like you and Kivik had some fun times!  ::To Nathan::  You’ve been poking around for a while. Need anything down there?

Richards: Responses

She passed him the requested item(s) – or at least, what she was fairly confident met his request. As the work progressed, she found herself moving about – half-focused on helping out, whenever it was requested by one of the more technically-skilled officers, and half-focused on planning her interior decor.

The conversation pit would remain relatively untouched – save for some slip-covers over the beige couches which currently inhabited it. The fireplace was gorgeous with its bronze curves. She could imagine her record player in the corner, curling up by the fire with a good book and a glass of chardonnay while listening to an old record was just about the coziest thing she could imagine.

The living room could be simple – a sofa and some comfortable chairs, a coffee table, and plenty of houseplants. She could make it a little ‘jungle oasis’ to separate it from the dining area, which she imagined housing a large round table… But then again, with the central holo-emitter positioned above it, perhaps it would be best kept simple – easier to convert into a dance floor, should the occasion arise.

Then there was the bedroom. It was neither large, nor small – especially when compared with previous accommodations she had been used to. It would comfortably house a queen-size bed and a wardrobe, perhaps with built-in mirrored doors… The office would double as a study, with as much space for books as she could shove in there.

((After some time had passed…))

As the work wound down, Robin considered how she might properly thank the trio for their assistance.

Hopper: Okay, boys, this is coming along great. I have a bunch of ideas for how to get this place ‘ready’ for company and I think I have to throw some sort of “housewarming party”. You three are obviously invited. I mean, you’re the guests of honour as far as I’m concerned…

Reade/Richards/S’Raga: Response

Hopper: But as for right now, I wanna reward your hard work. So, I suggest you all end your shifts a little early. I’ll order some pizza from Papa Rahms and we can replicate whatever drinks we want. Once the emitters are installed, we’ll generate some temporary furniture and have ourselves a little ‘pizza party’...  ::Grinning::  What do you think?

Reade/Richards/S’Raga: Response

Hopper: ::Chuckling::  I can make it an order, if you want.

Reade/Richards/S’Raga: Response

TBC

==

Lt. Robin Hopper (she/they)