Tri’lea Polgonz: Can’t Fight This Feeling

瀏覽次數:4 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Lt. JG Kivik

未讀,
2022年5月5日 下午5:13:472022/5/5
收件者:Amity Outpost

((Idrustix Surface – Morning))

Wong: Is everything okay, Miss Polgonz?

Tri’lea felt herself snap out of a slight daze at the CMO’s question. She turned her attention to Wong and did her best to explain the unusual fleeting distraction at the edge of her senses.

Polgonz: Oh, it’s just that I… Hmm… I’m not quite sure. I thought I felt something. Just for a moment. But my tricorder wasn’t picking up anything either. I just… wanted to be certain.

She tried to recall if there had been anything in the Survey Team’s reports regarding… well, she wasn’t quite sure what to even call this. It felt rather as if she were being watched – but without hint of malice – merely, observed. But the feeling seemed to come from within as much as from without. And it was ever so faint.

Wong: We are on a world that’s both familiar yet very different from what we might be used to. It might be a feeling of familiarity. But all the same, if you aren’t feeling well - please tell me about it.

Yes, it could be something like that. She had been raised aboard Starships and setting foot on land always made her a little uneasy… She caught a glance from Wil and wondered if he felt it as well, with his more reserved empathic abilities.

Ukinix: ::Looking Tri’lea in the eyes:: You sure you’re OK?

Tri’lea nodded. The feeling was odd – and she couldn’t quite explain it – but there didn’t appear to be any danger.

Kivik: ::To Ukinix:: Commander, did you notice anything?

Ukinix: My empathic senses turned off.  And I was daydreaming, I surprised myself at how far we’ve walked.  ::To Ikaia and Kivik:: Did you experience anything like that?

Wong: I haven’t noticed anything personally. However, I’m getting plenty of small lifesigns on my tricorder.

Wong followed the readings on his tricorder over to a nearby spot, Kivik in tow. The two officers began running more detailed scans, searching for the source. At last, Wong seemed to find what they were picking up. A rust-red tree bark had tiny insect-like creatures moving up and down its surface.

Ukinix: What are they?

Kivik: Small complex lifeforms. Highly unlikely to be capable of any higher thought. Judging by their activity, I’d suggest they are a social – or at least, hierarchical – species though. They appear to be working together to harvest resources.

Polgonz: I recall in my father’s notes they found a few creatures rather like this one. Just like you said, Lieutenant – small complex lifeforms. They seem to exist in symbiotic relationships with the plantlife in this area.

Wong: Insects mostly. These look a lot like ants from Earth. Most unusually is the bold yellow stripe pattern on their bellies. I think the bright colouration might be a warning to predators to avoid eating them.

Ukinix: Or it means they’re good eating.  If we get stuck out here, we might have to find some bush tucker.  They could be first on the list.

Tri’lea made a bit of a face at the thought of Wil picking one of the creatures off the tree and eating it. As a full-blooded Betazoid, who could sense the emotions of animals, the thought of killing and eating a living creature was rather repugnant. The wiggly legs and potentially-poisonous markings made them even less palatable.

As he glanced her way, she was annoyed to be giving him the reaction he’d likely been hoping for. Still, if he was up to these sorts of hijinx, he clearly wasn’t too bothered by whatever it was she had sensed moments earlier.

Kivik: ::To Ukinix:: Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that, Sir. I’d rather not eat anything we haven’t properly examined first. Who knows what strange effects they might have on our physiology.

Wong: However, I doubt it’s my ants you’re feeling weird about. Unless you don’t like insects, Miss Polgonz.

Polgonz: I prefer them where they belong. ::Gesturing to the tree:: In nature. ::To Ukinix:: Anyways, did you sense something or not? I’d rather not hold up this expedition on account of some fleeting ::waving hand:: I don’t know what.

Ukinix: I felt a serenity before that I rarely experience.  Is it the fresh air?  :To Kivik::  Something *in* the fresh air?

Lt. Kivik shrugged.

Kivik: The atmospheric sensor drones did detect a momentary elevation in stellar radiation a few minutes ago – ::looking at the sky:: nothing dangerous, of course… But maybe that had something to do with it? ::Back to the group:: Something to keep an eye on.

Polgonz: Agreed. ::Smiling:: I’m sure it was nothing to worry about. We are, as Lieutenant Wong said, on a new world. I may have been sensing Wong’s creepy-crawlies, or it could have been the air, or… a look at Wil… maybe I just sensed your daydreaming, Commander.

Wong: What does it feel like to you?

Ukinix: Me? Ummm… ::looking down, squinting eyes while thinking, before looking back at Tri’lea:: Nostalgia?  That’s the only way I can describe it.

Kivik: ::Under nir breath to Wong:: I told you this place reminded him of home.

Ukinix: ::To Ikaia:: Lieutenant, I think a quick wave of your medical tricorder over Tri’lea is in order.

Wong: Response

Kivik: While you do that, Ikaia, I’ll try to determine the edibility of these – what did you call them? Ants? – in case the Commander gets peckish on the walk home.

Tri’lea held up her hands as Wong readed his scan. All this fuss seemed like a waste of time. She wasn’t even sure she had sensed something anymore.

Polgonz: ::Annoyed sigh:: Is this really necessary? Honestly, I think we should just press on.

Ukinix: ::Gentle, concerned tone, to Lea:: Yeah, well, you’re in my away team and I’m responsible for you.  A checkup is in all of our interests, especially yours.

Polgonz: Fine, well, let’s make it quick then. ::To Wong:: You better not tell me I have a case of “Green Eye.”

Wong: Response

Kivik: And I can say that we should definitely not eat these ants. In fact, I’d recommend we distance ourselves from this spot. We may be standing on top of a hive of some sort and they do appear to have some sort of venom. It may not be strong, but there’s no telling exactly how many of these things there are.

Ukinix: ::Smile:: Alright. If you’re both sure, then let’s keep moving.  We’ve got evidence of CMEs to look for.

Polgonz: Quite right.

Kivik: Yes, let’s! ::To Wong:: Another new species, Ikaia. What are you going to name this one?

Wong: Response

((3 hours later, Second Forest Belt))

As the group moved on and the red sun rose higher and higher in the sky, the temperature on the planet began to climb. While Tri’lea wasn’t familiar with many of her provided tricorder’s more advanced capabilities, she could tell that the temperature had peaked at a comfortable 31 degrees. A quick glance around the party told her that not everyone was as content with that warmth as she was – though she was surprised that Wil seemed to be faring worst of all.

oO Isn’t Australia’s climate quite warm? Oo

Ukinix: Let’s have a ::deep breath:: break and some water.  ::To Kivik: How’s science looking, Kivi?  ::A few quick pants::

Lt. Kivik also seemed to be finding the heat a little intolerable. Tri’lea noted that the science officer had, at some point, removed nir jacket and put it in nir bag and now wore only nir black undershirt and Starfleet-issued trousers with the cuffs rolled up.

Kivik: Thank you, Commander. ::Taking a drink of water as well:: Growing up in a frozen science outpost did not prepare my body for this. ::Glancing at tricorder:: But we should have some cloud cover rolling in soon – and we are approaching the hottest part of the day. Perhaps a short break right now would be a good idea.

Kivik took another deep drink of water. Tri’lea noted that, even though the J’naii mentioned feeling unprepared for the heat, ne still seemed to be faring better than Wil. She crossed her arms and began thinking about her last visit to Betazed. It had been for her mother’s funeral – her mother, for whom her father had named this planet.

Kivik: Anyways, it seems that the drones have completed their scans and will be returning with atmospheric samples now. We can take a closer look at them when we get back to camp. ::Patting nir bag:: I still need to get the rock samples when we get there.

Ukinix: How about you, Ikaia, ::exhale:: what’s happening with your readings? ::deep breath::

Lea began walking around the small grove of trees they stood within, gazing up at their gently swaying branches, letting her mind wander.

Wong: Response

Polgonz: ::Looking about at the dappled sunlight through the trees:: Oh, isn’t it just… lovely here? And it’s so… cozy and warm.

While she hadn’t spent much of her formative years on the mother world, it had always felt more like home than any other planet she had set foot on. There was something about the jungles of Betazed that lifted ones Fana – their inner, natural, spirit. One could walk amongst the gardens and bask in the sun, feeling the very presence of the world around themselves. Was it any surprise then that nudity was no discomfort to her people? Why would anyone wish to close themselves off from experiencing that?

Ukinix: ::Panting:: To be honest, ::deep breath, maniacal chuckling:: I’m knackered! Ha, Fancy that!  ::Concerned tone, furrowed eyebrow:: I run just about ::panting:: every day, I’m much fitter than- ::leaning forward on his knees:: - than this.  Is it ::panting:: the gravity?

Kivik: ::Smiling:: Sorry sir. The gravity on Idrustix is actually .98 that of Earth – so, if anything, you’re lighter here than on most of Amity Outpost.

Polgonz: ::Laughing:: Oh Wil, you worry too much. Why not just enjoy yourself? Here, I know what we can all do to get more comfortable.

With that, Tri’lea dropped her backpack to the ground and kicked off her boots. Next, she began to unfasten the belt that cinched the waist of her romper…

Wong: Response

Tri’lea felt Wong and Kivik’s discomfort with the situation – but who cared? oO Starfleet and all it’s prude restrictions be damned! This is a Betazoid world and we can live as we were meant to! Oo

Polgonz: ::Letting her clothing fall to the ground:: There, that’s better. Come on everyone, don’t be shy!

With that, she returned to walking about amongst the trees, feeling like a small bird frolicking in the gentle sunshine.

Kivik: ::Trying not to look:: But… uhhh… of course, the temperature’s a bit higher – and it’s rather humid, Sir. About 60% at the moment. ::Clearing nir throat:: Anyways, I don’t think we can… errr… blame the gravity for umm… ::To Wong:: What is going on?

Ukinix: Well it has to be. ::Suddenly angry:: How very dare you, all of you. ::panting, flaring nostrils:: I can sense what you’re all feeling, you don’t believe me. ::Deep breaths:: I can’t- ::holding back tears, overcome by sadness:: I can’t believe you’d think that.  ::deep breath:: Look at me!  ::Crying:: Why do I have to be part Betazoid? ::Panting, crying:: Why?!

At Wil’s sadness, Lea felt her heart flutter. She felt his pain – more so than she had ever felt his presence before. He’d always seemed so… limited. Closed off. But something had changed. It was almost as if a link had formed between them like that between close Betazoid friends… oO Poor boy… Oo  she thought to herself as she turned to see what was the matter.

Ukinix: Wait.  ::Deep breath, anxious tone:: What if you’re right?  What if I’m ::panting:: just as unfit as say someone that ::panting:: doesn’t exercise and eats at Edna’s everyday?  ::Faster, anxious breathing:: Oh no.  ::Hands covering eyes:: Oh no, oh no, oh no! ::Leaning back on log, looking exhausted, suddenly feeling amorous, slight smile:: Has anyone ever ::panting:: told you you’re ::panting:: very attractive, Lea? ::Highly Embarrassed:: Oh no, I can’t believe I just ::panting, shaking head, looking down:: No, no, no, no, no, I’m regretting that. ::Slowly shaking head:: So so much.

Tears began to well in Wil’s eyes.  One stray tear ran down his cheek as he lay back on the log and rested his hands on his chest, his panting increasing.

Tri’lea just laughed, despite his embarrassment. So Wil was capable of true Betazoid honesty – perhaps not yet shamelessly, but that came with practice. He’d get used to it. This world seemed to bring out the best in people.

Polgonz: ::Telepathically to Wil:: ~~ Now, now. Cheer up, Commander. You’re hardly the first man to say so – nor the worst looking, yourself. ~~

Ukinix: Response

Polgonz: Suit yourself. I think you should embrace it. Idrustix seems to be bringing out your inner Betazoid!

With that, she grabbed a handful of blue grass and tossed it in the air, running giddily amongst the soft falling blades that glittered in the sunshine.

Kivik, meanwhile, stood and walked warily over to Wong. Ne looked down at nir tricorder and then back to the CMO.

Kivik: Alright, something is definitely up with these two… It’s not Levodian Flu again is it?

Wong: Responses

A line from one of the first ever songs in Wil’s music collection involuntarily entered his delirious mind, which he immediately vocalised.

Ukinix: ::Singing wearily:: No-vo-caaa-iiine… for-the-soul… be-fore I spu-tter out…

Tri’lea felt she knew the words to the song, despite having never heard it before. Somehow, because Wil knew them, she knew them as well, and joined in his singing as she twirled.

Polgonz: ::Belting:: Guess, who's living here… With the great undead… This paint by numbers life!!! ::To Ukinix, excitedly:: Oh, won’t you come dance with me, Wil?!

Ukinix: Response

Kivik: ::To Wong:: Let me take another look at the radiometry. We could be looking at something more than a mere coincidence with those elevated radiation levels earlier.

Wong: Responses

Polgonz: Oh, why do you two have to be so booooring? Come on, Ikaia… let’s see those pecs! ::Laughing wildly:: By the four… what am I saying?

Tri'lea felt drunk on this overwhelming feeling she was experiencing. It was exhilarating – and a little bit terrifying.

Ukinix: Response

Kivik sat down on a small rock and began making some calculations, doing nir best to avoid looking too carefully at either of the Betazoids.

Kivik: Yes… It does seem like there is another spike going on right now. Mmm… Solak was right about one thing, the star is very active. I’m not sensing any major CME activity right now, but there are significantly elevated levels of charged particles in the upper atmosphere currently… Hmm.

Wong: Response

Kivik: Well the odd thing is that the levels drop off dramatically closer to the ground. It’s almost like something is… I’m not sure. Absorbing the charged particles? Like some sort of natural barrier.

Polgonz: ::Suddenly sullen:: I can’t believe my mother isn’t here to experience this… And to think this world is named for her. It’s just not fair! ::Stamping her foot:: Oh what a wretched world. A cruel world. To make me feel so alive and free while she is gone. ::Dropping to the ground and rubbing the grass gently:: I’m sorry… I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it. You’re a lovely world and I know you wouldn’t ever try to hurt me like this.

Ukinix: Response

Wong: Response

Kivik: I’m afraid even the elevated solar energy can’t account for ::gesturing:: whatever this is. Firstly, the levels are only significant in the upper atmosphere, kilometers above our location. Secondly, if their brains were being cooked by charged particles, I think that you and I would be.. Umm.. equally affected.

Wong: Response

Kivik: Interesting theory. What could be causing that? Is there any sort of precedent for behavior like this in Betazoids?

Tri’lea lay in the grass staring at the sky, going back and forth from laughing gleefully to on the verge of weeping. In her mind, she was somewhere far away – amongst the clouds above, soaking in the rays of the sun. It was only her body that was down on the earth amongst the dry grasses tickling her toes.

Ukinix/Wong: Response

Kivik: Well, we need more data then. Maybe core samples can tell us something we don’t already know. In the mean time, how do we umm… “wrangle” them?

Wong: Response

TBC

==

Tri'lea Doyoxo Polgonz (she/her)