PNPC Arthur Summerside: A Red Letter Day

Keegan Flick-Parker

Oct 13, 2021, 2:57:30 AM10/13/21
to Amity Outpost

// Subspace Letter to Joe Lewiston, Editor of the Briori Sun

It’s a red letter day for your old pal Arthur. The Starfleet crew of the freshly-minted ‘Amity Outpost’ have just arrived and the rumble is that the new Ambassador, Miss Rivi Vataix, is throwing us a festival. Peachy, ain’t it?

With a little luck (and a few greased palms), I’ve secured a ticket to this momentous occasion - I’ve even learned how to replicate myself a half-decent coat. Can’t be representing the rag in rags in front of the new flatfoots, right? Besides, this ain’t no trip for biscuits. This story could lead to an in with the F.N.S. at last.

This is the opportunity we’ve been waiting for, Joey - since we were boys. The Federation is back in town. No doubt we’ve got a lot to pick their brains about, but there’s no point going off half-cocked. Not to worry - Arty’s on the case. I’ll get the scoop on the Fed’s intentions.

Tomorrow’s headlines are all mine.

((Amity Outpost - Grand Mezzanine))

Arthur Summerside stepped briskly off the turbolift as the doors slid open, hands stuffed in the pockets of his trench coat as it billowed behind him. The new coat provided the dramatic look he’d hoped it would, but it had a different smell from his old reliable slicker - oO It’s new Oo - and if it weren’t for his pops’ Trilby gracing his brow, he might’ve felt naked in front of all these Feds in their fancy uniforms.

Arthur: Come on, Pix - let’s try to blend in. If that’s possible.

He spoke to the Talaxian photographer that followed him off the lift. Arthur didn’t know why he let the tufted goofball stick to him like gum on a shoe - oO You’d be lost without him, that’s why Oo - but the two had been working together longer than Arthur cared to think about.

Pix: Sure, it’s possible! Everyone here is looking for the same thing - intergalactic connection. You should grab one of those perfectly symmetrical martinis and loosen up, my friend. Come on, go stand next to one of those fancy folks and let me take your picture.

Arthur sighed. Pix was always so positive. It lifted his spirits - and he hated that. How was one supposed to write without feeling on the verge of a mental break? He stopped and turned around, placing a hand on the Talaxian photographer’s shoulder.

Arthur: Look, I don’t want to make anybody uncomfortable, Pix. Not everyone wants to feel observed, you understand? Tell you what, why don’t you go get one of those perfectly symmetrical martinis and put the camera down for a second? I’ve got questions - important questions - to ask the new Feds and I want authentic answers.

Pix nodded knowingly, putting one finger against his nose, before shuffling off towards the bar with his holocam. Arthur breathed a sigh of relief at last. oO Now, where to begin? Oo

The journalist scanned the room, looking for the right person - it was never who you’d think. His eyes passed by the Commander standing over the grill spouting flames, past the muscular dancing man, and past the Ambassador and her new Second preparing the microphone. oO Too chaotic, Oo he reasoned. oO Somebody who’s not making a spectacle - someone who doesn’t need to make themselves seen… Oo

Arthur: ::Grinning:: Bingo.

He reached out to grab a drink off a server’s tray as they passed and took a sip. Walking over to the kiosk, or more accurately, to the young Diplomat standing behind it, he smiled easily - a friendly shine in his eye. A winning smile - the only other good thing he’d inherited from his pops.

Arthur: Good evening! ::Gesturing around:: Hell of a shindig.

Keehani: Response.

Arthur: ::Removing his trilby:: Summerside. Arthur Summerside. I’m a reporter - and you’re Keehani Ukinix, First Secretary of Amity Outpost.

Keehani: Response.

Arthur: Nothing nefarious, I promise. Just here to see what all the hubbub is about - the new station, a triumphant return to the Delta Quadrant, and all this… ::He gestured around with the martini in his hand:: togetherness. ::Taking a drink:: Inspiring.

Keehani: Response.

Arthur: ::Looking at the Kiosk:: I’ve heard the low down on Betazed - integral members of the Federation - and well-represented in the staff of this station, wouldn’t you say?

Keehani: Response.

TBC

Keegan Flick-Parker

Oct 13, 2021, 3:42:53 AM10/13/21
to Amity Outpost

((OOC - Re-sending this because I missed my signature in the last one!))

===
Arthur Summerside (he/him/his)
Civilian Journalist
Amity Outpost