Ensign Luxa Lorana - To Purr or Not to Purr

Luxa Lorana

Apr 30, 2023, 8:34:41 AM4/30/23
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

(( Captain’s Ready Room, Deck 1, USS Artemis-A ))

MacKenzie: Come in…

The doors swished open revealing Ensign Lorana, the Caitian science officer whose final exam Addison had proctored at the Academy. The woman’s piercing amber eyes glowed like bright orbs in stark contrast to her black fur.

Lorana entered the room and stood at attention.

Lorana: :: stands to attention :: Formally reporting to duty, Commander MacKenzie.

Addison blinked at her several times from the floor before she finally stood up, smoothed the front of her uniform, and extended her hand.

Luxa was slightly embarrassed that she'd caught the CO off-guard but retained her cool demeanour. She was sure she got the correct time.

MacKenzie: Papers, please…

The redheaded CO took the PADD from the Caitian and, in a move that was becoming almost ritualistic, looked the document over as she moved behind her desk to have a seat. When she’d made it to the bottom of the document, she gently tossed the PADD to the desktop, the metal making a clinking sound when it landed.

Luxa felt herself tense more, visibly flinching when the PADD clinked. It was the one she had been issued with when she had arrived.

oO I guess I'll need to get another one Oo

MacKenzie: Well, it seems you have everything in order, Ensign. Welcome aboard the Artemis.

Lorana: Thank you Commander. I'm really looking forward to serving under your command. On Cait we'd say 'the greatest of mountains, offer the farthest reaching shadows'. With honour, I accept your shadow, Commander MacKenzie.

Addison offered a soft smile.

MacKenzie: This is the first time I’ve had one of my examinees assigned to my own ship – what did you think of your final exam?

Lorana: I found the final exam challenging, if I'm permitted to be honest. I was assigned a security posting, which left me unprepared, yet I believe that may have been the purpose of the exam.

The CO raised her eyebrows in a slightly dismissive manner.

MacKenzie: Well, the whole idea is to get you faced off against a very real scenario to see how well you do under pressure. I think the reasoning behind that should have become clear when you were thrown into the fire as soon as you arrive on board the Artemis…

Lorana: Absolutely… it was a learning curve … I hadn't expected my first day to be so … eventful. I was a little concerned, given that many humanoids cultures place a lot of emphasis in first impressions.

Addison shook her head softly.

MacKenzie: No, no, you did very well. Truthfully, it was a relief to see that you’d been assigned to this ship because I knew we were not only getting a good officer, but a talented scientist. So, tell me, do you have any particular areas of scientific expertise? The Academy exam doesn’t really allow for the opportunity to get to know any of the cadets, but since you’re on my crew now, I think the question is relevant.

Hearing those words from such an esteemed CO made Luxa soften a little, she resisted the urge to purr, she found that made these situations uncomfortably intimate for humans.

Lorana: Thank you, Commander, for your kind words. I'll do everything I can to live up to your expectations. My scientific specialties are within astrophysics and exogeology, namely planets, planetoids, meteors, comet's and astral phenomen. Anything that floats in space, I'm your girl. I served aboard a transport ship before joining Starfleet, and I gained a particular interest in those things. I actually have an extensive rock collection, that I'd be happy to show you, if you'd like?

Luxa smiled. It was a great honour for a Caitian to offer to show their personal collection, granted it was ordinarily sculptures or poetry but Luxa had left those traditional forms of art behind when she had left Cait. At times, she found herself with the temptation to chisel, or paint, or write as she had done each day since she'd been old enough to form a memory. Except there was memories that she no longer wanted to review, and those things made it difficult for her to forget. A shame that she hadn't entirely cleansed herself of.

MacKenzie: Response

Lorana: Of course, Commander.

MacKenzie: Response

Lorana: I'll do my best.