The Plastic Challenge Begins

Krista Harris / Edible Santa Barbara

Oct 1, 2010, 12:31:42 PM10/1/10
to sb-plastic-challenge
Welcome to day one of the Plastic Challenge! I have been so encouraged
by the enthusiasm so far for this Plastic Challenge. Over on the
Facebook Event Page we have 158 people who have signed up for the
challenge so far: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=129211503794826&index=1
and there are lots of great comments and suggestions on the wall.

There is also a wonderful blog entry about the Challenge here:
http://modernorganicdesign.net/?p=341

So, please continue to share the news about this Challenge. And visit
us tomorrow at our booth at the Sol Food Festival (http://
www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=155132211166829&index=1). Stop by to
pick up a copy of our fall issue with Janice Cook Knight's article
about the Plastic Challenge. We'll also be on hand to answer questions
about the Challenge.

And as you begin today to eliminate plastic, what sort of changes have
you had to make?

Last night I stopped by C'est Cheese to pick up some cheese. Not only
do they have a wonderful selection of quality cheeses, but they also
carry a great selection of Central Coast and California cheeses. And
they always wrap their cheeses and meats in paper. But I was tempted
by some wonderful looking bread sticks from Northern California, that
I had to pass on because they were packaged in plastic. Then I
realized that pretty much any crackers are packaged in plastic. So,
I'm thinking slices of a baguette will make a good alternative to
crackers this month. Please share any ideas for substitutions you've
made to avoid plastic. I would love to hear all your ideas.

enjoy,
-Krista