The Eat Local Challenge Begins!

1 view

Krista Harris / Edible Santa Barbara

Oct 1, 2010, 12:10:55 PM10/1/10
to SB Eat Local Challenge
Happy October 1st. It's the first day of our Eat Local Challenge and
already it sounds like people are finding new sources for local food.
And the word is spreading. There's a wonderful blog posting by Weekend
Hippie here:
http://www.weekendhippie.com/home/2010/09/october-santa-barbaras-eat-local-month.html

And over on the Facebook event listing, we have over 120 people who
have signed onto the Challenge.

Tomorrow we'll have a booth at the Sol Food Festival (http://
www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=155132211166829&index=1), so stop by to
pick up a copy of our fall issue. We'll also be on hand to answer
questions about the Eat Local Challenge. And Local Harvest Delivery
has a special locavore coaching program which they are offering in
conjunction with the Eat Local Challenge. Check out the details here:
http://localharvestdelivery.com/?q=node/174 or visit their booth at
the Sol Food Festival.

As for day one of the challenge... what did you eat for breakfast this
morning? Sometimes breakfast is the hardest meal to change. We all
tend to get stuck in our habits. Luckily, I have some habits that I
learned from last year's challenge. For breakfast this morning I had
toast (bread from Solvang Pie Company - locally grown wheat), butter
from Spring Hill dairy (Northern California) and jam from Marcie/
Jimenez Family Farm. I also had melon from Tom Shepherd Farms. My
coffee was not local but it was locally roasted from Whole Foods. I'll
be checking the Tuesday Farmers Market to see if Calimoya has some of
their Goleta grown coffee for sale.

Here's to day one of the challenge and many days of good eating ahead!

-Krista