Local Coffee

Krista Harris / Edible Santa Barbara

Sep 19, 2010, 2:43:41 PM9/19/10
to SB Eat Local Challenge
This question just came up on the Facebook Eat Local Challenge event
page:

"Anybody know where we can get locally grown coffee- locally grown
cocoa for chocolate? And what about peanut butter? Some of my favorite
things...."

So, let's start with coffee:

Last year we had a post about where to find locally "roasted" coffee,
but now we actually have coffee being grown commercially in the Goleta
foothills by Calimoya Exotic Fruits (http://calimoya.com/). I picked
some up at the Tuesday Farmers Market on State St. It was delicious,
but pricey ($7 for a small jar). Perhaps the price will come down as
their production increases. In the meantime, it makes a great splurge
or gift, and since it's packaged in a reusable glass jar, it works for
those us on the Plastic Challege.

You can also check out the archives in this group for the posts about
locally roasted coffee, there are several good options. And I also
discovered that Whole Foods roasts fair-trade coffee in the store and
you can buy it by bulk, which is nice because you can get just amount
you need and it's packaged in paper. And to recap, here's a list of
the locally roasted coffees.

Green Star
Caribbean Coffee Company
Santa Barbara Roasting Company

Please feel free to jump in if you know of more.

-Krista