4th Annual Eat Local Challenge - What's New in 2012

Krista Harris / Edible Santa Barbara

Aug 12, 2012, 4:26:20 PM8/12/12
to sb-eat-loca...@googlegroups.com
We are thrilled to announce that we are partnering with the the Community Environmental Council as well as the Santa Barbara Certified Farmers Market to sponsor the 4th Annual Eat Local Challenge for the month of October.

We came up with idea of doing the Challenge during the month of October to tie in with epicure.sb — the month long celebration of food and drink in Santa Barbara — and with the intent to bring awareness of the economic, environmental, health and flavor benefits of purchasing locally based foods.

It's easy to join the challenge.

Take a personal pledge to eat only foods produced within a 100- or 150-mile radius of your home, or within the tri-county region, or within California.

Decide if you are going to make any exceptions (such as for coffee, tea or spices), but try to stay as local as possible. For instance, you might choose locally roasted coffee or tea and spices from local companies. You might decide to eat only produce that is grown in Santa Barbara County, but dairy and other food products might come from within the Tri-County region or elsewhere in California.

Become a member (if you're not already) of this Google Group so that you can post questions and comments and/or set up notifications.

Join the Facebook Group titled “Eat Local Challenge” and RSVP at the Facebook event titled “Eat Local Challenge October 2012.

Follow the blogs at EdibleSantaBarbara.com and CECSB.org

Let Us Know How It’s Going

Post your progress on Facebook or Twitter on the Edible Santa Barbara, CEC or Farmers Market pages.

If you are blogging or would like to share your experiences, email us at in...@ediblesantabarbara.com.

And check back for more updates as we get closer to October - we're going to have some interesting surprises in store!

-Krista