Local Vinegar?

Nancy Oster

Oct 2, 2009, 4:01:15 AM10/2/09
to SB Eat Local Challenge
Do any of our local wineries make a vinegar? I checked
LocalHarvest.org and the closest listing was Katz and Company in Napa
(300 miles from my zipcode).

-Nancy

Krista Harris / Edible Santa Barbara

Oct 2, 2009, 4:37:49 PM10/2/09
to SB Eat Local Challenge
Oh, I want to know the answer to this, too! I do know that you can
find apple cider vinegar at the farmers market - I can't think of
their name off the top of my head, but I have some of their juice at
home, so I will check. I know they are at the Saturday market. They
sell a wonderful "verjus" as well.

-Krista

Nancy Oster

Oct 22, 2009, 10:26:24 AM10/22/09
to SB Eat Local Challenge
I was just reading about olive and came across The Olive Oil Source in
Santa Ynez (www.oliveoilsource.com). They sell balsamic vinegar, wine
vinegar, and fruit vinegar. The owners are the owners of Figueroa
Farms. Olive Oil Source sells equipment and supplies for making olive
oil. They also sell the vinegars in bulk. I have emailed them to ask
if the grapes/fruit used for their vinegar is locally grown.

-Nancy

On Oct 2, 1:37 pm, "Krista Harris / Edible Santa Barbara"

Shelly Cobb

Oct 22, 2009, 11:16:01 AM10/22/09
to sb-eat-loca...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Nancy - I just bought a "Quick Pickle Kit" at the Michael Pollen sustainability fair and I need local vinegar to make home-made pickles! Let us know what you find out!

Shelly
Shelly Cobb
Edible Santa Barbara
Office Phone (805) 617-0359
Office Fax (208) 445-6242
Cell (805) 452-1440
she...@ediblesantabarbara.com
www.ediblesantabarbara.com

Shelly Cobb
Edible San Luis Obispo
Office Phone (805) 617-0359
Office Fax (208) 445-6242
Mobile (805) 452-1440
she...@ediblesanluisobispo.com
www.ediblesanluisobispo.com

Barbara Wishingrad

Oct 22, 2009, 4:38:41 PM10/22/09
to sb-eat-loca...@googlegroups.com
I think Patricia Bragg probably makes a local vinegar?  I think she is a great local resource, although she sometimes travels extensively (I think she's out of the country right now) but the Bragg products, liquid aminos, etc. are available in local venues, Lazy Acres, I'm not sure where else.
OK, I looked up their website. http://www.bragg.com/  one of the first things they advertise, after Braggs Live Foods, is Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar.
barbara

"To live outside the law, you must be honest"...Bob Dylan

The Mill Creek apple cider folks sell Mill Road Apple Cider Vinegar at
the Farmer's Market on Saturday and on Weds. They are probably at the
others as well. Those are just the ones where I've seen them. Their
trees are in Paso Robles.

-Nancy