Anyone explored with subtitles?

14 views
Skip to first unread message

Mari-Sisko Khadgi

unread,
Dec 17, 2015, 10:28:30 AM12/17/15
to say...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
 
I was wondering, if anyone has been doing subtitles with SayMore?  I would like to know a way to add hardcoded subtitles with any free software. 
 
I followed
this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fcvozqQZhM for “How to add/hardcode subtitles (VLC)”, but it didn’t work for me.  I also tried the instructions from http://www.mpi.nl/tools/elan/tp/how-to/ELAN_subtitles.pdf and using VitrualDub, but no success.
 
 
For doing subtitles in non-roman scripts, I have found out that there are two crucial steps: first needing to code the font in UTF-16LE and instead of using .srt use .ssa.  Below are instructions how to do that, but maybe that could be an added feature to SayMore?
 
 
Regards,
Mari-Sisko
 
-------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
 
3.2 UTF-8 UTF-16
In order for the subtitles to display correctly the srt-files have to be converted to UTF-16LE.
This is necessary because the subtitle software I use doesn’t interpret ELAN’s srt-files quite
right as they are encoded in UTF-16BE. You may do this with any Unicode text editor
capable of saving UTF-16LE files, for example Babelpad.
Open the subtitle file from before (subs.srt) with Babelpad and do SAVE AS right away.
Encoding has to be changed to UTF-16. Byte Order: LITTLE ENDIAN and BYTE ORDER MARK.
Newline: CR/LF PAIR. Save file.
 
3.3 SRT SSA
Now subtitles have to be converted from SRT format to SSA. VobSub has to be installed for
this task. VobSub contains a little tool called SubResync. If you can’t find it in the start menu,
you should be able to locate it at: C:\PROGRAM FILES\GABEST\VOBSUB\SUBRESYNC.EXE.
Start SubResync and open “subs.srt”. Maximize your window. If you click on an annotation
you should see a preview of the subtitles as they would display in a video. Unicode specific
characters might not display correctly as you first have to select a Unicode compatible font.
Click on EDIT and in the next windows click on the selected font (usually Arial on Windows
machines). Now choose a Unicode font, e.g. Lucida Sans Unicode on Windows machines.
Click ok and you will go back to the previous windows. Here you can change some stylistic
properties. You may leave everything as is or change some settings. You can change or tweak
these settings later on as well.
Click OK and try in the main window if the subtitles display correctly now.
If everything looks how it’s supposed to look go to SAVE AS. File type has to be changed to SUB
STATION ALPHA (*.SSA). Also check UNICODE OUTPUT. Now make sure that you change the file
extension to SSA! Unfortunately SubResync doesn’t do this automatically. Save and exit.
 
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages