Fw: MANILA BULLETIN'S LIFESTYLE'S MALAY p.E2 (29 March 2010)

vim nadera

Mar 28, 2010, 7:34:22 PM3/28/10
to vim nadera, Emelina Almario, MICHELLE ALMARIO-BORROMEO, VIRGILIO ALMARIO, Virgilio Almario, Sawikaan FIT, SAWIKAAN FIT, EILENE NARVAEZ, ynna abuan, PHILIP KIMPO, Ma. Margarita De Guzman, GAYLE PACQUING, KAREN VILLALOBOS-PACQUING, Ferdie Nadera, Psalma Nadera, victor emmanuel jr nadera, GERRY BANZON, LIRA, LIRA Workshop

Malay: Passion

By VIM NADERA
March 28, 2010, 12:10pm

Maria Thybaida Mendoza is one of our most respected sculptors and potters – who finished philosophy at the University of Santo Tomas, apprenticed under ceramist Bill Shackle, and studied art at Grailville College in Ohio as well as in De Tiltenberg, Netherlands.

“Teacher Baidy” conducted a workshop about her passion – clay art — at Ching Abad Santos’ Tilamsik ng Sining in Quezon City.

After the introduction, she taught everyone how to pinch, coil, and make figures, vessels, and candle holders all in three hours and, then, she introduced the creation of slabs, balls, alibata, beads, stamps, tiles, and pendants before she could teach how to polish and exhibit.

Maybe it was just another Civic Welfare Training Service for the University of the Philippines Open University’s  Associate in Arts and Bachelor of Arts in Media Studies students like Daphne Almencion, Maricel Castro, Kris Ann Eduardo, Alexander Galit, Julie Ann Gambala, Gayle Pacquing, Adrian Jeric Peña, Ace Silva, Karen Villalobos, and our kids Psalma, Wika, and Sulat as salimpusa whose opinion was best expressed by Margarita de Guzman: “As I looked at the product of our labors, it was indeed a day of firsts too.  It was the first time that I really created functional artwork from clay.  It was the first time that I participated in an exhibit wherein my works were displayed and even became a piece of conversations.”

But, for Jeizelle Bacuetes, she learned a different lesson: “Our three-day acquaintance with clay artist Baidy Mendoza started with the usual rituals from grade school that I sorely missed – the reading of Bible verses, the singing of the National Anthem, and the breathing and smiling exercises. It was a nostalgic, almost bittersweet beginning as I was transported back in time when all I cared about were the grasshoppers in the school field and how would I beat my meanest opponent in jumping ropes.”

Well, the free workshop was actually a Foundation Advancing Wellness Instruction and Talent’s 2010 offering.

Since 2007, it had been involved with the psychosocial assessment of selected children in conflict with the law, the rehabilitation of the U.P. Child Development Center’s garden now with a gazebo called Tan-Awit, the translation of Suicide First Aid Guidelines for the Philippines to Filipino, the production of Fabric of Life cards for kids, the group therapy sessions for children with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder at the Philippine General Hospital’s Psychiatric Department, among others.

Belen Constantino could not help but wax poetic: “I left Foundation AWIT that day with the answers I have been looking for all morning. What is the essence of showing our work? For me showcasing our work is not just about displaying our talents. It is all about discovering ourselves.”

During the opening, that coincided with the graduation rites, we missed our president, Ellay Nadera, who also a CWTS tutor with Prof. J. Aleta Villanueva as CWTS 2 Faculty in-charge.

Again, Ina could not join the volunteers after her kidney tumor bled last February 18 and eventually had partial nephrectomy under  Dr. Nelson Patron’s knife with Dr. John Carlo Manalo and Dr. A.G. Velasquez at the National Kidney and Transplant Institute last week.

Their exhibition was transferred to My Little Art Place at 222 Wilson Street in San Juan for the UP Open U semestral end party, but she was still bedridden.

It was held last March 20, the same day the Linangan sa Imahen, Retorika, at Anyo (LIRA) cut the ribbon for its  Salit Sining: Wordsmiths Turned Visual Artists at the TaUmbayan Restaurant at 40 T. Gener cor. K-1 Streets in Quezon City.

As part of its 25th anniversary celebration this year, passionate works of Gian Abrahan, Mariane A.R.T. Abuan, Rommel Chester Boquiren, Jeremiah Faustino, Mikael Gallego, Phillip Kimpo Jr., Vivian Limpin, Carla Payongayong, and Beverly Siy were featured.

On Good Friday, LIRA – together with the  Unyon ng mga Manunulat sa Pilipinas (UMPIL) — gather at the Plaza Balagtas in Pandacan, Manila.

The second day of April both falls on a Biyernes Santo and the 222nd  birthday of Francisco Baltazar, who was born in 1788 and died on 20 February 1862.

Entitled  Mag-alis ng Dungis ng Bayan: Penitensiya para sa Dangal ng Bayan, the affair will highlight writers and artists symbolically cleaning Balagtas’s monument where there will be a short program that will start at 8:00  a.m. until 12 noon.

Impassioned National Artist for Literature Virgilio  Almario is expected to share the following cultural agenda:

(1) The formation of a separate and full-fledged Department of Culture to oversee and manage the present cultural agencies of the government and to take the lead in undertaking all necessary tasks and efforts towards the furtherance of national culture and in protecting the interest of writers and all artists.
(2) The establishment of a National Institute for the Creative Industries at the University of the Philippines to undertake cultural research, train cultural workers, and design a national plan for genuine cultural education and its effective management in order for the public to benefit fully from any product of creative work, and to help in the full realization of the potentials of all writers and artists of talent.
(3) Support for the potential of culture and creative work in economic production, meaning, invigorating literature, fine arts, architecture, music, dance, film, and other arts as cultural or creative industries that are capable of generating sizable employment, export earnings, apart from promoting and enshrining national talent and dignity.
(4) Promotion and empowerment of Filipino as the National Language, symbol of unity, and most effective language of national education, while protecting ethnic and regional languages as important components of the nation’s cultural wealth and improving the teaching of English for practical and global requirements.
(5) Financing undertakings for the protection and upkeep of the nation’s natural and cultural heritage not only in the interest of tourism but more importantly because these are symbols of national dignity and unity.
(6) Designation of an official Cultural Coordinator in every municipality, city, and province who shall be the representative of the Department of Culture and implementer of cultural projects in the said places.
(7) Training of teachers, especially teachers of language, literature, and social studies, in the elementary school and high school for them to become active representatives of effective cultural education apart from the enrichment of textbooks and references on proper and accurate cultural information and values.

Our Holy Week would be incomplete without Teatrong Mulat’s Papet Pasyon.

Like LIRA, Teatrong Mulat is also on its 25th year of entrancing countless children and their parents every year since 1985. Papet Pasyon will have its an annual run this Palm Sunday, 28 March, 3 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., at the Amelia Lapeña-Bonifacio Teatro Papet Museo at 64 Mapagkawanggawa St., Teachers Village West, Quezon City.

For more information, call the Teatrong Mulat office at 9290895, call/text 0918.9032040, or email mulatpu...@yahoo.com.n

Jun Balde

Mar 29, 2010, 5:25:42 AM3/29/10
to sawi...@googlegroups.com
Vim,
Sana ugaliin mo ang pag post dito ng iyong kolum tuwing Lunes. Salamat.
Junbalde

vim nadera

Mar 29, 2010, 8:40:21 AM3/29/10
to Sawikaan FIT, SAWIKAAN FIT
Sige sir.
Akala ko kasi patay na ang egroup na ito.
Nagbakasakali lang ako.
Salamat,