Update on NuAlgi

Dipankar

May 2, 2009, 4:59:16 AM5/2/09
to Chinnappanahalli Lake Conservation Forum
Hi,

I had a chat with Sampath Kumar who is running the NuAlgi
organization, as well holds the patent. Some interesting updates:

1. This lake was cleaned by their organization three years back, as
part of field trials
2. The methodology can work with sewage flowing in, in fact that is
happening in some lakes of Bangalore
3. The cost will be 1 Kg/ acre of lake area per one and half months.
Given the product costs Rs. 275/kg, it is a small amount
4. Weeds need to be removed separately, and couple of times before the
steady state is achieved
5. The smell will clear within one hour of applying it, and the lake
will be good enough for pisciculture
6. The approval from the Forest Department should be easy. However if
pisciculture is done, it will be under Department of Fisheries, who
will give it out for fishing based on yearly auction. This can be a
little messy
7. Sampath has given contact for at least one lake where this has been
used, I am exploring how we may visit it

Regards
Dipankar

Dipankar

May 11, 2009, 1:35:42 PM5/11/09
to Chinnappanahalli Lake Conservation Forum
Hi,

Further update on NuAlgi

1. NuAlgi breaks the organic waste in water into fish food
2. So, to make the system effective we should have fish in the water
body
3. It can be any type of fish. For the lake ideal can be commercial
fish

Regards
Dipankar