Fwd: [sustainable_tompkins-l] Fixers Collective... an idea for Ithaca...?

1 view

Shira Golding

Jan 24, 2012, 11:02:32 AM1/24/12
to save-ludg...@googlegroups.com
see below for a mention of how the new ludgate's could fit in to this idea...

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jon Bosak <bo...@pinax.com>
Date: January 24, 2012 10:49:41 AM EST
To: Sustainability in Tompkins County <sustainable...@list.cornell.edu>
Cc: Sustainable Tompkins listserve <sustainable...@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: [sustainable_tompkins-l] Fixers Collective... an idea for Ithaca...?

Marian Brown wrote:
> I noted this on the Center for a New American Dream e-newsletter today....
> I LOVE this idea of a "fixers collective"... where people bring their
> "tired, their poor, their huddled masses yearning to" be repaired....
> http://www.newdream.org/blog/fixers-collective
> Is this something we could do here....?

I doubt we have the population to make this work in the ad hoc way it's
been set up in Brooklyn, but energy descent thinking leads pretty
conclusively to the view that we will be repairing stuff a lot more in
the future than we do now.  The sewing machine repair class sponsored by
SewGreen was a huge step in the right direction that deserved broader
recognition.  I posted a link to a local lamp repair service last year;
maybe start with a local repair directory?

> Perhaps this is something the Ludgate's working group could
> consider....?

Ludgate's was a drop-off point for the lamp repair service.  If it gets
going again it could be a drop-off point for others as well.  But I
don't think it's a good location for a repair center; that should be
downtown.

There's no doubt in my mind that more repair facilities are needed here.
We have a vacuum cleaner that we tried to get fixed a couple of years
ago; we became so frustrated with the local so-called repairman that we
finally reclaimed it from him and bought a new one.

Jon

For more information about sustainability in the Tompkins County area, please visit:  http://www.sustainabletompkins.org/
If you have questions about this list please contact the list manager, Tom Shelley, at tj...@cornell.edu.