Saving Ludgate

Seymour Smidt

Nov 30, 2011, 12:44:41 PM11/30/11
to save-ludg...@googlegroups.com

I spoke to the general manager of the Green Star co-op and he is familiar with the Ludgate situation. Their organization is a couple years away from being able to consider an extension of the sort. He did offer some logistical support if there was a group willing to take over Ludgates. I think that raising money ($100,000 or $200,000) is the easy part. The tough thing is finding the manpower especially for the transition. And some reliable experienced person who was able to run it. If you think you know people who could perform those roles then there's a chance. Otherwise I think it's hopeless. Too bad there was no warning to the community. Basically we would be starting a business that had already shut down which is a lot harder than taking over a more or less going concern.

I don't have time to actually work on this project because of other commitments I might be able to spend a little time providing free consulting if that would help.

Seymour Smidt

Emeritus Professor of Finance and Economics

Johnson Graduate School of Management

Cornell University

607-273-9410 (H)

607-275-7824 (C)

Leslie Strebel

Nov 30, 2011, 1:27:21 PM11/30/11
to save-ludg...@googlegroups.com

Sorry folks, should have read this one first.

Dani

Nov 30, 2011, 6:15:50 PM11/30/11
to Save Ludgate Farms
Many people Love Ludgates but you only notice that you have a finger
when it starts hurting... I am sure that many members of the forest
home community will want to help and I am one of them. There are
talented people out there that could help with the transition to Green
Star and maybe one of the GreenStar employees can do it? I asked
another person and am waiting for an answer. Let us not give up.
Seems like stores like this one will be more and more needed as the
environment is suffering, gas prices are going up and the local food
markets are growing.