meeting last night

Rebecca Schillenback

Jan 20, 2012, 9:57:27 AM1/20/12
to save-ludg...@googlegroups.com
Hello all -- unfortunately, children with colds kept me in last night.  I was looking forward to the meeting and I hope there will be minutes.  I am still interested in the direction of the conversation, specifically, I'm looking for a site for a morning preschool program whose curriculum could fit in with the values I have heard expressed by those on this list:  community resilience, deep localization, cooperation, etc.  I'd love to know if options are being discussed in which a facility could accommodate an educational/community endeavor such as this.

Thanks, Rebecca

--
Rebecca Schillenback

Administrative Director
Community Nursery School

Shira Golding

Jan 25, 2012, 1:09:03 PM1/25/12
to save-ludg...@googlegroups.com, Sustainability in Tompkins County, sharet...@lists.aktivix.org
hi everyone,

we had a great meeting last week at the owl cafe to continue the
discussion about the future of ludgate farms!

in attendance were alex colket (swidjit), marlo capoccia (garden gate
delivery), blake myers (debit w/ local rewards card), janet morgan and
jim skaley (from the town of varna), shira evergreen (share tompkins),
and dick cahoon (greesnprings, fl land trust, cctec).

nobody took minutes (sorry!), but here are the highlights as i
remember them:

- dick cahoon came close to buying the property last summer and is
still very interested in buying! he would like to run an incubator for
"agripreneurs" on part of the land and rent out rooms in the house. he
is then very open and eager for others to step up and run the store in
whatever new and improved form it takes. he would be a very supportive
landlord.

- marlo capoccia of garden gate delivery expressed interest in
partnering with the new space as a hub for garden gate and a partner
for purchasing and distributing inventory.

- janet morgan and jim skaley discussed how the town of varna (very
close from ludgate's) is working on a redevelopment plan. they offered
some other location ideas for a new store on the "main drag" of route
366 and also talked about ways pedestrian and car traffic from varna
could be better directed to a store at the current location. they and
dick also discussed some zoning issues related to the property.

- we discussed how the new store could be more of a "destination" and
therefore bring in new and more consistent customers. some ideas that
we were most excited about included having the store be exclusively
local and zero-waste/zero-packaging, including a "free store" in part
of the space, and having a commercial kitchen with classes on food
preservation and other food security skills.

- marlo, blake and alex all volunteered to contact some other key
people who might be interested in getting involved and/or being part
of a management team.

- dick plans on moving forward with purchasing the property and will
keep us all in the loop.

if anyone else who was at the meeting would like to add or correct
anything, please do!

- shira :)

Shira Golding Evergreen
shiraev...@gmail.com
http://www.shirari.com

Dani Novak

Feb 1, 2012, 6:25:03 PM2/1/12
to save-ludg...@googlegroups.com
Feels like really good energy.  I think once it starts moving there will be lots of support from local communities.

--Dani

Dr.  Dani Novak
Math Department
Ithaca College, Ithaca NY 14850 USA