indiatomorrow.co -- Vivekananda-like speech puts Modi on world stage at UNGA http://www.indiatomorrow.co/nation/1904-vivekanand-like-speech-puts-modi-on-world-stage-at-unga

MAYANK JAIN

Sep 28, 2014, 12:20:20 AM9/28/14
 Saturday, 27 September 2014

 Last Updated on Saturday, 27 September 2014 18:04

 Published Date

Written by Mayank Jain

MODI-USIn his 35-minute maiden speech at the UN today, India's Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, drew from the wisdom of ancient Vedic texts by calling the world as one big family: 'Vasudaiva Kutumbakam'. He conveyed the idea of inherent non-aggressiveness in Indian culture and asked the world to unite against aggression which was seen in the form of terrorism.
In his speech, delivered in chaste Hindi, Modi dwelled upon the subject of terrorism extensively. He challenged the idea of 'Good Terror' and 'Bad Terror'. Drawing a distinction like that, said the Indian PM, raised doubts against those who were supposedly fighting against terrorism. This attack by Modi was obviously aimed at the American concept of 'Good Taliban' and 'Bad Taliban', an idea which helped Pakistan escape international scrutiny against allegations that it was a terrorist state. Narendra Modi called for the formation of an international alliance to defeat terrorism.
As India's Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, addressed the UN General Assembly today, he blasted countries that used terrorism as an instrument of state policy. He stopped short of naming Pakistan but it was obviously a diplomatic offensive aimed at it. Since India has been at the receiving end of cross border terrorism from Pakistan, many Indians thought that such a rebuttal from an Indian head of state was long overdue.
Attacking Pakistan for raising the Kashmir issue at the UN, Prime Minister Narendra Modi asserted today that he was prepared to engage in a serious bilateral dialogue with it "without the shadow of terrorism" but asked it to create an "appropriate environment" for that. He told Pakistan that instead of raising issues at the UN, "today we should be thinking about the victims of floods in Jammu and Kashmir. In India, we have organised massive flood relief operations and have also offered assistance for Pakistan-occupied Kashmir."
"India is part of the developing world, but we are prepared to share our modest resources with those countries that need this assistance as much as we do," he said.
Unlike Indian leaders of the past, Narendra Modi seems to have shocked the developed world by mocking at the G7 and G4 summits by proposing a more inclusive gathering, which he called G-All! It may be added that not one leader from the developing world had made a novel attempt like Modi's in recent years to make its voice heard against the high handedness of the developed world.
"Let us think about an International Yoga Day," the Indian Prime Minister urged an audience of world leaders at the UN General Assembly in New York.
He said, "When we talk of holistic health care or going back to back to basics, I want to particularly mention Yoga." PM Modi described yoga as an invaluable gift of India's tradition.
"It is not about exercise but to discover the sense of oneness with yourself, the world and the nature. By changing our lifestyle and creating consciousness, it can help us deal with climate change," he said.
In his address, Prime Minister Modi, paid special emphasis on terrorism, including its resurgence in West Asia, reforms of the United Nations, including the Security Council, and the need for a more inclusive global development. While "extremism and fault lines" were growing in West Asia, Modi said, "our own region continues to face the destabilising threat of terrorism". Modi told the General Assembly that terrorism was taking "new shape and new name" and no country, big or small was free from its threat.
In an apparent reference to the ongoing conflict in Iraq and Syria, where a US-led coalition is attacking the Islamic State (IS) militants, he said that India welcomed efforts to combat terrorism's resurgence in West Asia.
Calling for reform of the United Nations, including the Security Council, whose membership India is aspiring for, Modi said the world body should be more democratic and participative.
(With inputs from agencies)