Socially Distant Wednesday Ultimate

kevinlfredrickson

Mar 17, 2020, 1:37:53 PM3/17/20
to Saturday Ultimate
Hi All:

It seems we can play Ultimate under these conditions:

5 -on- 5

No person, on field or at sidelines, can be closer than 6 feet to any other person. If that happens, I suppose it's a foul. Seems to me we are compliant with the law if we play this way. Do we do it!?!?

--KEVIN F

Gary Kaplan

Mar 17, 2020, 1:46:53 PM3/17/20
to kevinlfredrickson, Saturday Ultimate
I think you mean that we all play defense like Cliff.
😎

Scot Schneider

Mar 17, 2020, 1:56:18 PM3/17/20
to Gary Kaplan, kevinlfredrickson, Saturday Ultimate
At least the heckling game is ALWAYS in progress.

-Scot

Mar 17, 2020, 2:22:55 PM3/17/20
to Scot Schneider, Gary Kaplan, kevinlfredrickson, Saturday Ultimate
Please keep in mind that you have both a legal and ethical responsibility here. Can you legally play 5 on 5? Maybe. Should you play during a shelter-in-place order in an epidemic? No.

Matthew Burkert

Mar 17, 2020, 2:23:45 PM3/17/20
to Chris Brown, Gary Kaplan, Saturday Ultimate, Scot Schneider, kevinlfredrickson
^real talk right here^

--
Sincerely,

Matthew W. Burkert

B.S. Civil Engineering, The George Washington University, 2013

Andrew Cassidy

Mar 17, 2020, 2:27:09 PM3/17/20
to Saturday Ultimate
I agree with Chris and Matthew, but that first heckle response made this entire thread worth it.

On Tuesday, March 17, 2020 at 11:23:45 AM UTC-7, Matthew Burkert wrote:
^real talk right here^

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 10:56 AM Scot Schneider <sc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
At least the heckling game is ALWAYS in progress.

-Scot

Brian Hoffman

Mar 17, 2020, 2:32:01 PM3/17/20
to Andrew Cassidy, Saturday Ultimate
For the record, it’s not legal to play any sports that involve passing an object among the players.  Gary - hucking it out the back should still be allowed.

On Mar 17, 2020, at 11:27 AM, Andrew Cassidy <acas...@gmail.com> wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/saturday-ultimate2/cc2cf14c-8d30-40f8-a202-445a0386925a%40googlegroups.com.

Scot Schneider

Mar 17, 2020, 2:39:35 PM3/17/20
to Andrew Cassidy, Brian Hoffman, Saturday Ultimate
Wait, that means 50% of all throws at pickup are legal!!

Mar 17, 2020, 2:41:11 PM3/17/20
to Matthew Burkert, Andrew Cassidy, Brian Hoffman, Saturday Ultimate
Is that because of how well you catch?

to Scot Schneider, Andrew Cassidy, Brian Hoffman, Saturday Ultimate
Only thing I ain’t catchin’ is covid homie!

Scot Schneider

Mar 17, 2020, 2:43:08 PM3/17/20
to Matthew Burkert, Andrew Cassidy, Brian Hoffman, Saturday Ultimate
#almostacomeback

Mar 17, 2020, 3:42:04 PM3/17/20
to kevinlfredrickson, Saturday Ultimate

https://sf.gov/stay-home-except-essential-needs

Disc Golf is in play...

You can engage in certain activities outdoors, but you should not play sports indoors or play team sports.

Sports that are permitted (as long as you maintain at least six feet from anyone else and don’t share equipment):

  • yoga on your own (no sharing blocks or mats)
  • running alone or with others with distance
  • riding your bike (alone/with distance)
  • walking (alone/with distance)
  • stretching
  • swimming in the ocean or in your own pool/hot tub
  • shooting baskets by yourself, or hitting a tennis ball against a backboard

Not permitted:

  • any team sports where there is any contact or where a ball or other equipment is touched by multiple people (soccer, baseball, basketball, Frisbee, etc.)
  • swimming in a communal pool

^real talk right here^

Sincerely,

Matthew W. Burkert

B.S. Civil Engineering, The George Washington University, 2013

colin sjostedt

Mar 17, 2020, 3:47:19 PM3/17/20
to Aaron Fezatte, kevinlfredrickson, Saturday Ultimate
According to Park & Rec. the disc golf course is closed.

Mar 17, 2020, 4:00:04 PM3/17/20
to saturday-...@googlegroups.com
This from an email I got today from Park and Rec:

Here is how this new Public Health Order affects our parks:

During the shutdown, we will continue to provide emergency childcare services at all of our recreation centers, subject to eligibility requirements.

The following park facilities are closed:

  • Golf courses
  • Swimming pools
  • Angler's Lodge (Golden Gate Park)
  • Lawn Bowling Club (Golden Gate Park)
  • Model Yacht Club (Golden Gate Park)
  • Disc Golf (Golden Gate Park)
  • Ornamental Gardens, including the SF Botanical Garden, Conservatory of Flowers and the Japanese Tea Garden (Golden Gate Park)
  • Coit Tower
  • Stow Lake Boat Rentals, Bike Rentals and Segway Rentals
  • Carousel (Golden Gate Park)
  • Sharon Art Studio (Golden Gate Park)