Re: BEla / browser based coding,,

servando barreiro

Feb 27, 2016, 7:46:53 AM2/27/16
to satelli...@googlegroups.com
Kickstarter= It doesnt exist yet & high chance of smoke being sold at high price.
Though, that multichannel audio soundcard with such a small size looks pretty awesome.
Regarding browser based coding environment, no way for me… I wouldn’t be ever able to port a fraction of what I have achieved in puredata into other programming environments (full good sounding synths, pimped up sequencers, parameter automation, modular FX, multichannel mixer, understanding midi, osc, , etc..)
But considering the fact that Satellite runs on Beagleboard, I see some light in the future …Except maybe for the single core ARM.. I have been there, some years ago….
Best

Jeff Snyder

Feb 28, 2016, 5:09:16 PM2/28/16
to satelli...@googlegroups.com
Just to chime in a bit on this:
I have a prototype for this board and it's really quite cool. It already does the stuff claimed in the Kickstarter. I think most of the development they are still working on is in the IDE.
As for porting things in PureData, you can use Heavy to turn PD code into C for the Bela, but there are limitations -- I believe it's only PD-vanilla that will translate.

I'm not involved in the project, but I think it's excellent. It's a different approach from the Satellite, though - more focused on low-latency dedicated things and multichannel audio rate stuff as opposed to Satellite's goal of providing a simple streamlined embedded linux environment that runs PD, Supercollider, Chuck with Arduino integration.

-Jeff

Composer, musician, instrument designer
scattershot.org * @snyderphonics