No booting after disabling flash writes

Gavin Morris

Jul 22, 2016, 12:30:36 PM7/22/16
to Satellite CCRMA
So I disabled flash writes and now my pi doesn't seem to boot. Or at least it doesn't connect to the network.

Before I take it down from where it is installed and connect it to a monitor is there anyway I can enable the writes again by taking the sd card out and editing some file or another?

Something to do with handle-remount.ro?

Edgar J. Berdahl

Jul 22, 2016, 2:06:00 PM7/22/16
to satelli...@googlegroups.com
For you, I suppose the issue might be related to the network settings if you have edited them.

You should be able to tell if it is booting by carefully watching the LEDs on it. If you practice looking at one that is booting correctly, you will be able to notice the pattern.

If you have a second Raspberry Pi 2, the easiest thing might be to take it out of the first one, insert it in there, boot it up, and work with it that way.

—Edgar

Gavin Morris

Jul 23, 2016, 5:38:49 AM7/23/16
to Satellite CCRMA
Stupidly I disable flash writes on two Pi's at once. Doh. One is a B+, the other is older I think, from 2011.
I've plugged them both in to a monitor now and they are both Kernel panicking during the boot up process.
Annoyingly the monitor I'm using is cutting off the left hand side of the text!

Kernel Panic - not syncing: Atempted to kill init! exitcode=0x00000100

After It says busybox Not tainted
Before there is :

Free initranfs and switch to another root fs:
chroot to NEW_ROOT, delete all in /, move NEW_ROOT to /,
execute NEW_INIT. PID must be 1. NEW_ROOT must be a mountpoint.

-c DEV Reopen stdio to DEV after switch

Any ideas?

Gavin Morris

Jul 23, 2016, 6:16:32 AM7/23/16
to Satellite CCRMA
Am I correct in thinking that if I can copy /etc/handle-remount.rw to /etc/handle-remount  I will enable flash writes again and hopefully maybe but quite possibly not my system will boot again?

I seem to remember there is some slightly flakey way of reading and writing to pi filesystems from Osx.

Gavin Morris

Jul 23, 2016, 8:45:30 AM7/23/16
to Satellite CCRMA
On closer inspection I see that actually I just need to edit the config file. I commented out the last line - the initranfs one - and got both pi's to boot eventually after some filechecking stuff.

I'm not sure if all my scripts are still working - need to rewire everything and try it again.

So it looks like I can't disable flash writes with my setup then? Or is there a way? If not I guess I'll just make alot of back ups, some of them on sd cards.

Gavin Morris

Jul 23, 2016, 3:58:08 PM7/23/16
to Satellite CCRMA
Ok got the installation working again and made some backups.
Be nice to try to disable flash writes one day though!

Edgar J. Berdahl

Aug 12, 2016, 4:44:19 PM8/12/16
to Satellite CCRMA
We did it in the stompbox design workshop a few weeks ago at CCRMA:
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~rmichon/stompboxWorkshop2016/

That was using an image derived from the image version
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~eberdahl/Satellite/SatelliteCCRMA_Rpi_v1.05.dd.gz

Best,
Edgar